Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2011 9:30:11 AM EDT
Medical issue at the "free" public range in Chester this morning,...

A young man had a siezure.  He fell to the deck, and "locked" up for a few minutes.  Fortunately there was a young couple a the bench beside him, and the female had nursing training.  She attended to him throughout the ordeal.

We made him comfortable (padded gun case as a pillow), and kept an eye on his tongue, breathing, and heart-rate.  He came around, but it took a little while before he could answer questions (how old are you, where are you from, have you had seizures before, etc.)  Needless to say, his day at the range ended early, as his buddy drove him home.

I'm glad it didn't require immediate emergency help, due to the lack of cell coverage at that corner of Chester County.

BTW, he left a pair of inexpensive ear muffs behind, and I hung them up near the broom.  Not sure how long they will last there, and probably not worth the gas to drive back to retrieve...
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Glad to hear it wasn't an accidental shooting, I avoid public ranges on the weekends like the plague.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 12:51:50 PM EDT
[#2]
When I looked over and saw him "down", my first thought was, "he could be shot", but I almost immediately realized there had been no recent "report of a weapon", and as I got to him, it was obvious what was going on.

I should probably start carrying a trauma kit, as much as I'm at the range...

Believe it or not (at least lately), Leeds has been busier during the week, than the weekends...

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Good on you and the others for helping him out. Good thing there were people there. Leeds is so far out in the backwoods of Georgia it would suck for something to happen and have no one around.
I've never encountered a park employee while at the range or any one in any "official" capacity so if it wasn't for you guys being there or his buddy, it could have been a bit hairy.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank God he was ok and there was trained help nearby.
Kudos to the folks that stepped up to help him out. Just goes to show that there is still good folks out there.

I am also glad to hear that the broom I donated to the range a couple of weeks ago is still there.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you ever find out if he has a history of seizures?
Link Posted: 9/26/2011 8:19:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been to Leeds twice on Saturdays and everybody has been very professional and safety conscious. I wouldn't hesitate to go there on weekends.

Quoted:

Glad to hear it wasn't an accidental shooting, I avoid public ranges on the weekends like the plague.

Link Posted: 9/28/2011 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been there all days and all times and have not witnessed any unsafe behavior. I have seen a couple of guys that were drinking beer pack up and leave when the "serious shooters" showed up.
If I am not mistaken the Rangers number is posted.I would not hesitate calling if the need arises.
What I enjoy about Leeds is you can socialize with fellow gun enthusiasts and offer help or advice as well as receive some and just overall share in the sport.
I have noticed more new people to the sport showing up lately (not that I claim to be a veteran in the sport) and it is a great opportunity to expand our reach as gun enthusiasts by welcoming them and going out of our way to make them feel welcome.
I have only a couple of occassions when I have had to wait for a bench. Most people observe the one hour rule when it gets busy.
So in short, anytime is a good time...come on down.
I plan on being there tomorrow, green Santa Fe with BFL.

"Don't sit on the bench to the right unless you consider brass welcome." HA!
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#8]
no update...

to be honest, I was hoping he (or his buddy) would be a member here.

I'm planning another early Sunday morning trip with the RFB...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top