Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2011 12:17:07 PM EDT
Some of you may want to watch Extreme Makeover: Home Edition on ABC tonight.  It's a house that was built for a Beaufort Marine.  

That is all, carry on.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 1:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
He got a LOT of flack locally.  The local community....was NOT into them getting the house.  

His wife said things like "they could move into base housing to get out of a house with a mold problem...but did not want to be inconvenienced since he was retiring in 3 years".

His wife is the issue.....sorry but I also do not think he should have got it....in the Marines for 17 years....and is an E5........and whining about pay.  When I heard his wife bitching....I lost all respect for that family.  

The show paid off his old mortgage...built him the the new 4000 ft house.....as well as gave them quite a bit else.  They are on easy street now.  I recently saw his wife in town....time of her life........guess I would to if I didn't have a house payment and was given 100K on top of a new house and paying off the old one.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard all of that too.  I was deployed when the whole thing went down.  I know a couple of people who know him pretty well and all speak highly of him and his family.  As to what they should have done about the house and base housing, I'll leave that alone.  I just posted this to let people in the area know that Beaufort will be on tv tonight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The wife claimed their house was flooded due to high water there.....LOL....

If you know Beaufort....you know that was NOT the case.  Basically they made up the flood / mold story....and submitted the app.  

Ticked a LOT of people off here.  I fully expect them to sell the house and move before too long.  A lot of the neighbors are NOT happy now.  

sad to see a 17year E-5 asking for handouts.  

Main issue is his wife....lets just say she likes living large.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:13:51 PM EDT
[#4]
He's a SSgt, not a Sgt.  If he was a Sgt he would not be in the Marine Corps after 17 years.  Mold is a huge problem in Beaufort, many houses have mold in them.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:43:37 PM EDT
[#5]
17 yrs and an E6?  I stand corrected.  

Still doesn't explain their claim of the house being flooded....causing the mold.....when people dug into that...there was NO flooding on that street.  I am retired military....I want our troops to be taken care of....but this case was much different.  Listening to the wife talking about how they didn't want to be "inconvenienced" .....her words.....not mine...caused me to lose all respect for her.  

I think it sets a bad example for ANY government employee to accept gifts that are this size.  

I would MUCH RATHER have seen something like this go to a family of a combat injured serviceman....

There were many more deserving Marines than this guy.  

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
He's a SSgt, not a Sgt.  If he was a Sgt he would not be in the Marine Corps after 17 years.  Mold is a huge problem in Beaufort, many houses have mold in them.

Well there you go!  I'm an EMT in Beaufort and trust me when I say there are MANY houses in Beaufort that are in much worse condition.  You would not believe the places we go into!  This episode confirmed what I've always suspected, they exaggerate the stories!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top