Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2011 2:02:16 AM EDT
I recently converted a non gun owner. She feels that she needs a handgun for personal defense due to a couple of incidents a couple of weeks ago. She can either get the sign off in Wake or Randolph County. Is one easier/quicker than the other to get the CLEO to sign? She called Randolph County (I think) last week and was told it would probably take 6 months for the paperwork to process.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:27:07 AM EDT
[#1]
How?
I am not being a joker here but she can only reside in one county even if she owns property or houses  in two. Where is she registered to vote?

Second question is do you mean a NC CHP or the NC permit to purchase a hand gun? If she gets her CHP then she doesn't need the other. If she wants to buy a handgun even from an individual she is required to get a purchase permit if she does not have a CHP.

As far as CHP NC it can take up to 90 days after she has had the class and is fingerprinted. In most cases it will take less but all documents are sent to the SBI after the local Sheriff gets them all together and depending on volume at the state level it can take the full time.

If she wants a purchase permit it usually takes a week or so.

Randolph Co. is gun friendly cant say about the other. Have her post here there are several CHP instructors on the HTF and I know they would be glad to help

NOI
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

How?

I am not being a joker here but she can only reside in one county even if she owns property or houses in two. Where is she registered to vote?

Registered to vote in Wake. She used to live there but has since moved to Randolph. She just hasn't changed her DL etc. She could change her DL etc. if it suited her purpose.

Second question is do you mean a NC CHP or the NC permit to purchase a hand gun? If she gets her CHP then she doesn't need the other. If she wants to buy a handgun even from an individual she is required to get a purchase permit if she does not have a CHP.

NC Permit to Purchase is what she wants right now, I'm trying to talk her into the CHP.

As far as CHP NC it can take up to 90 days after she has had the class and is fingerprinted. In most cases it will take less but all documents are sent to the SBI after the local Sheriff gets them all together and depending on volume at the state level it can take the full time.

If she wants a purchase permit it usually takes a week or so.

When she called Wake Co. she was told 6 month wait for the purchase permit after paperwork is turned in.

Randolph Co. is gun friendly cant say about the other. Have her post here there are several CHP instructors on the HTF and I know they would be glad to help

I'll try to get her to post here, she knows about this board from me and just asked if I'd ask the question for her.

NOI
I may have the county names reversed, dunno. This is a 50 yo woman who has never felt the need to have a gun before. She is a solid upstanding citizen and I see no reason for her to be denied for anything gun related.

Ed

ETA: Revised Counties (I did have them reversed)

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:07:32 AM EDT
[#3]
she is supposed to get the license information change promptly. which county is giving her a 6 month wait, the new one or the old one? I'd suggest getting her a shotgun for now as it will be the fastest way to get her something cheap. Think used...
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:19:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, she knows about getting it changed in a timely fashion.....she just hasn't done it. We've discussed a shotgun, but I think it might be to intimidating for her. I'm really pushing for her to get her CHP. It is Wake County giving her the excessively (IMO) long wait. I edited my above reply to NOI to reflect that.
Quoted:

she is supposed to get the license information change promptly. which county is giving her a 6 month wait, the new one or the old one? I'd suggest getting her a shotgun for now as it will be the fastest way to get her something cheap. Think used...

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:20:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, she needs to talk to us. 6 months for a purchase permit is not possible.
She lives in wake then she needs to go to the Sheriffs office there. Trying to shop Sheriffs Departments will get you in trouble fast.
She also needs to change her DL the law gives her 30 days to do so when you move.

Wake will be a letter of the law County. If she can talk to the SO and show emergency circumstances the law provides that she could get a purchase permit immediately. But she will have the explain the emergency need to the Sheriff

Under NC law she can walk in and buy a long gun today. She needs her DL and they do the fed check on the phone there.

NOI
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:21:38 AM EDT
[#6]
You were posting while I was posting, Looks like we are on the same page.

NOI
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:13:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I've lived in Randolph county for over 20 years.  I haven't had to get a handgun purchase permit since the law was changed to recognize the concealed carry permit, but when I did have to have them it was a fairly quick and painless process.

Each county has it's own requirements for the purchase permit.  In Randolph, you go to the Sheriff's office in Asheboro or Archdale, whichever is closer, and tell the deputy behind the desk you want a pistol permit.  They do a quick check while you wait, and write out the permit.  You can purchase up to five permits per day.  That was the process and limit the last time I needed a purchase permit.  In some counties, you need personal references and the Sheriff's Office delays you, but Randolph is one of the most gun friendly places in NC, or at least it was under Sheriff Hurley.  I have heard that Sheriff Reid is much the same, but have not dealt with him personally.

Your friend needs to get her DL changed and go to the Sheriff's office in Randolph.  I doubt Wake will be less hassle.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:29:15 AM EDT
[#8]
In Randolph it is walk in walk out with a pistol permit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah, she knows about getting it changed in a timely fashion.....she just hasn't done it. We've discussed a shotgun, but I think it might be to intimidating for her. I'm really pushing for her to get her CHP. It is Wake County giving her the excessively (IMO) long wait. I edited my above reply to NOI to reflect that.

Quoted:

My overall point is that if there is any wait time, and there are circumstances which make gun ownership urgent, get a damn long gun.  Get a .410 shotgun if you have to.  Four 000 buck pellets are way more formidible than a crowbar.  Long guns are an "instant" purchase...and if she NEEDS a gun right away, there is little need to discuss this further.

The 4473 form requires that your ID address matches your real address (or at least, gun stores require this, so I assume it's a requirement).  Lying on this form is not a good idea.  Get the license changed this morning, and go buy a long gun in the afternoon.  Even a .22LR would be better than nothing.  Get something.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Guys for the quick info.  

She's on her way right now to get her license changed and apply for the permit. I asked her to get involved here and I think she'll be along in the next day or 2 for more CWP info.

Thanks again

Ed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top