User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 4:34:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: palmer] [#1]
Originally Posted By Winchester73:
Originally Posted By palmer:
$175.00 a year and an hours drive is a definite for me.

You said you're 10 minutes from Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club. You'll pay 175.00 and drive an hour to shoot 150 yards, but you won't pay 360.00 per year to shoot 300yrds at arguably the finest range in N. or S. Carolina, 10 minutes from your house. You'll be losing money after your third trip to Efird's on gas alone not counting time. Doesn't make sense. There's a reason CRPC is over twice the cost of Efird's. Over 20 300yrd benches, 20 200yrd pistol benches , rimfire range, tactical match and cowboy action range, 3 skeet and two trap fields, 5 stand and an archery range. Three clubhouses one at the 24/7 365 days, members only indoor range in Matthews.

I've actually moved, I'm closer to Efirds now. So, your point is moot.  

Needing and wanting are two different animals.  I only NEED a 100 yard position.  I do not need 200 and 300 yard positions.  I don't do cowboy action, skeet or Archery.  So, in reality, I would be wasting my money at CRPC.

Ok so you've moved that's understandable. However your needs and wants comment makes no sense to me either. Your post implies that you want 300 yards but need only 100; fine. You don't have to answer but from what I take is that you're not being honest with us, or yourself; I'm not sure which one. When you lived 10 minutes from CRPC it still made no sense to waste time and money driving to Efirds when your wants, and NEEDS could have been met at CRPC for less money overall when accounting for fuel. So in an effort to defend your position and make your self right, you are still not being honest with us or yourself. Only you know which one. Just food for thought. Live long and prosper near Efirds my friend.

Not being honest, over what range I use?  Are you even serious dude?  Are you old enough to attend a range without an adult?

My post NEVER implied that I want or need to use a 300 yard range.  It's a huge ASS U mption on your part.  The last range I attended regularly, had 300 and 200 yard lanes and I never used them.  So again, your point is moot.  

You capitalized "NEEDS" when you referred to my wants and needs.  How would you know what *MY* needs are?   Oh, yes, assumptions AGAIN, right.

Not sure what the chip on your shoulder is for.  Why would you even care what range I attend?  Do you have some stake in CRPC?   Maybe, you are trying to convince yourself that it was a wise choice for you to join CRPC?

There's a reason CRPC is over twice the cost of Efird's. Over 20 300yrd benches, 20 200yrd pistol benches , rimfire range, tactical match and cowboy action range, 3 skeet and two trap fields, 5 stand and an archery range. Three clubhouses one at the 24/7 365 days, members only indoor range in Matthews.

This just proves my point, that you do not seem to understand.  I never use 300, 200yrds,  Cowboy, Skeet or Archery........  I don't do tactical matches either.  When I go to a range, I use 100/50 yards for rifle and up to 50 yards pistol.  That's it.  Again, CRPC would be waste for me.    And, for the record, CRPC IS $360.00 per year.   However, they also hit people up for $500.00, under the guise of an "Application fee".

Link Posted: 10/11/2011 2:44:04 AM EDT
[#2]

You said you're 10 minutes from Charlotte Rifle & Pistol Club. You'll pay 175.00 and drive an hour to shoot 150 yards, but you won't pay 360.00 per year to shoot 300yrds at arguably the finest range in N. or S. Carolina, 10 minutes from your house. You'll be losing money after your third trip to Efird's on gas alone not counting time. Doesn't make sense. There's a reason CRPC is over twice the cost of Efird's. Over 20 300yrd benches, 20 200yrd pistol benches , rimfire range, tactical match and cowboy action range, 3 skeet and two trap fields, 5 stand and an archery range. Three clubhouses one at the 24/7 365 days, members only indoor range in Matthews.

Needing and wanting are two different animals.  I only NEED a 100 yard position.  I do not need 200 and 300 yard positions.  I don't do cowboy action, skeet or Archery.  So, in reality, I would be wasting my money at CRPC.

Ok so you've moved that's understandable. However your needs and wants comment makes no sense to me either. Your post implies that you want 300 yards but need only 100; fine. You don't have to answer but from what I take is that you're not being honest with us, or yourself; I'm not sure which one. When you lived 10 minutes from CRPC it still made no sense to waste time and money driving to Efirds when your wants, and NEEDS could have been met at CRPC for less money overall when accounting for fuel. So in an effort to defend your position and make your self right, you are still not being honest with us or yourself. Only you know which one. Just food for thought. Live long and prosper near Efirds my friend.

Not being honest, over what range I use?  Are you even serious dude?  Are you old enough to attend a range without an adult?

My post NEVER implied that I want or need to use a 300 yard range.  It's a huge ASS U mption on your part.  The last range I attended regularly, had 300 and 200 yard lanes and I never used them.  So again, your point is moot.  

You capitalized "NEEDS" when you referred to my wants and needs.  How would you know what *MY* needs are?   Oh, yes, assumptions AGAIN, right.

Not sure what the chip on your shoulder is for.  Why would you even care what range I attend?  Do you have some stake in CRPC?   Maybe, you are trying to convince yourself that it was a wise choice for you to join CRPC?

There's a reason CRPC is over twice the cost of Efird's. Over 20 300yrd benches, 20 200yrd pistol benches , rimfire range, tactical match and cowboy action range, 3 skeet and two trap fields, 5 stand and an archery range. Three clubhouses one at the 24/7 365 days, members only indoor range in Matthews.

This just proves my point, that you do not seem to understand.  I never use 300, 200yrds,  Cowboy, Skeet or Archery........  I don't do tactical matches either.  When I go to a range, I use 100/50 yards for rifle and up to 50 yards pistol.  That's it.  Again, CRPC would be waste for me.    And, for the record, CRPC IS $360.00 per year.   However, they also hit people up for $500.00, under the guise of an "Application fee".

I never assumed anything. You pointed to the fact that you lived 10 minutes from CRPC. I simply pointed to the fact that you would be losing money after a few trips to the far away range. I know moot since you've changed your story saying that you now live closer to Efirds. You scared you can't hit a target at 300yrds?

Link Posted: 10/31/2011 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By witchdoctor556:
New range is now open in Concord.  I have not been there but I have a friend that went there yesterday.

http://eaglegun.com/

Check it out and post some feedback.  

I can say the store (pre-range completion) was nice and the staff was knowledgeable.  Good selection of firearms as well.

Headed down to Charlotte from VA this weekend to visit the folks. My father was itching to go shooting a new build of his so we decided to head on over to Eagle on Friday. The range was very clean, and the air handlers were very good. The staff was very friendly, but when I started shooting my suppressed SBR, a RO came in and asked for my paperwork. I was a little suprised since I have never been asked before at any range I have been to. They took my Form 1 and 4, and checked it against my license. I don't know if they had issues or problems before. Anyways, it was a decent place to shoot, and way cheaper than most places up here in NoVa.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:30:35 AM EDT
[#4]

I never assumed anything. You pointed to the fact that you lived 10 minutes from CRPC. I simply pointed to the fact that you would be losing money after a few trips to the far away range. I know moot since you've changed your story saying that you now live closer to Efirds. You scared you can't hit a target at 300yrds?

Umm, yes, you made lot's of assumption.  

You really make it a habit to get into other people business?  What is your problem dude?  Just as you and everyone else in the world has preferences, so do I.  I have in the past, shot at plenty of ranges to 300 yard targets in competitions(in my early twenties)  I've done with that for a long time.  It no longer floats my boat. I mainly use lanes out to 100 yards.  It's just a preference.  Why can't you grasp that not every does what you do?   Get over yourself and move on with your life.  

Oh and your reference to me being scared to hit a target at 300 yards?   You truly are child-like.  Do some more growing up.

Link Posted: 11/30/2011 10:52:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PC-Tech] [#5]

Originally Posted By 50cal_Mopar:

Originally Posted By PC-Tech:

http://www.therangeatlakenorman.com/newrange.html

Coming soon to Cornelius, NC in fall.

But looks to be high price.

Does any one know about Long Creek Rifle & Pistol Club? It's 10 min from my house in Huntersville.  I was never able to get member info.

Google Maps

Yeah I know the guy that is opening it. It will be pretty high prices. With the Mooresville range opening, I will never go there anyway

I went there tonight cause I had a free pass and nothing to lose, other then my time. First, it should be called "The Joke at Lake Norman".  I call before hand to see if they allow reloads, and the lady stated they did.  

We get there, I brought my AR and a Ruger Mark 3, I tell her I have a free pass, so far so good, then she asked what I'm shooting, and tell her an AR and a 22LR pistol.  She then proceeded to tell me that it will be 25 Per hour cause they only allow the AR in the tactical range, but cause I had the free pass it would only be $8 /per hour.  Then she get to the part of ammo, and ask what type I have.  I tell her copper jacketed bullets I reloaded myself.  She then states they only allow fully jacked bullets, meaning no lead is exposed, and brings over a $28 box of 50 223.  I deiced not to shoot the AR, I relay wanted to shoot the Ruger cause I just did a trigger job. So they check my 22LR ammo and sate that they don't allow any hollow points or lead tips....So I tell her that I will only shoot the Ruger and I take to box of CCI Mini Mags that they sell for $10 a box.

Then I was told, that they rather not have me take anything in the range that I was not going to shoot, and to please put it back in the car. Meaning my AR and earth destroying ammo.  As they didn’t trust me. (Good way to get a new customer by not trusting them )  

When we asked about why the no led, she stated that it releases a vapor trail... I shrug it off, as that's idiotic . How would that be an issue if they have this state of the art air filtration system?

The point is that they use the "Green" thing to make you buy there ammo, witch I think is BS.  I will stick to point blank, that only a few minutes away, without all the crazy "Green rules", and where I can shoot my AR for $17 per day (Not Per hour).  I give them a year, before they go out of business, if they continue down this path. They will not see a cent from me again.  

Edit...I just realized,  The CCI she sold me were Hollow Points.  And I forgot to mention the part of when I asked if I can use a Class 3 silencer that my buddy brought with him. The look on he face was priceless.  She didn't know so she had to ask.  They came back with; as long as you have your paper work on you.  Witch he did. What a piece of work that place is.  Such a wast of time that I'm still dumbfounded about it a day later..  

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 6:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Yea the joke at lake Norman
As I was picking up brass to reload I noticed all of the 2.23 necks were split. I was also told one thing on the phone and another when I got there. I was told the free passes could be used for rifle and pistol range nope extra $8 for rifle with free pass and at $25 an hr for rifle I will be driving my happy ass up t.o mooresville to point blank
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:05:01 PM EDT
[#7]
"And, for the record, CRPC IS $360.00 per year. However, they also hit people up for $500.00, under the guise of an "Application fee".

No, it is not.  It is actually very reasonable and it will soon be my range for the rest of my life I hope.

$500 initiation fee, which can be paid over two years.  

12 IIRC hours of club labor required

$209 annual dues.

After teh first year, you can work off ALL of your annual dues by doing club work.  I will be paying zero after year one at a hell of a nice range.

The only downside so far I've seen is NO full auto (which I am going to assume would include my SSAR bump fire stock).  @ the indoor range you can shoot full auto in pistol caliber firearms, which is fine as I am putting the SSAR on my new Bushmaster Carbon 15 in 9mm.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 6:40:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By 50cal_Mopar:
http://www.therangeatlakenorman.com/newrange.html

Coming soon to Cornelius, NC in fall.

But looks to be high price.

Does any one know about Long Creek Rifle & Pistol Club? It's 10 min from my house in Huntersville.  I was never able to get member info.
Google Maps

Yeah I know the guy that is opening it. It will be pretty high prices. With the Mooresville range opening, I will never go there anyway

I went there tonight cause I had a free pass and nothing to lose, other then my time. First, it should be called "The Joke at Lake Norman".  I call before hand to see if they allow reloads, and the lady stated they did.  

We get there, I brought my AR and a Ruger Mark 3, I tell her I have a free pass, so far so good, then she asked what I'm shooting, and tell her an AR and a 22LR pistol.  She then proceeded to tell me that it will be 25 Per hour cause they only allow the AR in the tactical range, but cause I had the free pass it would only be $8 /per hour.  Then she get to the part of ammo, and ask what type I have.  I tell her copper jacketed bullets I reloaded myself.  She then states they only allow fully jacked bullets, meaning no lead is exposed, and brings over a $28 box of 50 223.  I deiced not to shoot the AR, I relay wanted to shoot the Ruger cause I just did a trigger job. So they check my 22LR ammo and sate that they don't allow any hollow points or lead tips....So I tell her that I will only shoot the Ruger and I take to box of CCI Mini Mags that they sell for $10 a box.

Then I was told, that they rather not have me take anything in the range that I was not going to shoot, and to please put it back in the car. Meaning my AR and earth destroying ammo.  As they didn’t trust me. (Good way to get a new customer by not trusting them )  

When we asked about why the no led, she stated that it releases a vapor trail... I shrug it off, as that's idiotic . How would that be an issue if they have this state of the art air filtration system?

The point is that they use the "Green" thing to make you buy there ammo, witch I think is BS.  I will stick to point blank, that only a few minutes away, without all the crazy "Green rules", and where I can shoot my AR for $17 per day (Not Per hour).  I give them a year, before they go out of business, if they continue down this path. They will not see a cent from me again.  

Edit...I just realized,  The CCI she sold me were Hollow Points.  And I forgot to mention the part of when I asked if I can use a Class 3 silencer that my buddy brought with him. The look on he face was priceless.  She didn't know so she had to ask.  They came back with; as long as you have your paper work on you.  Witch he did. What a piece of work that place is.  Such a wast of time that I'm still dumbfounded about it a day later..  

I wont even attempt to go down there. PB has treated me well and I will remain loyal in return. I might be there today actually
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I am in Lumberton. Can you all recommend an outdoor range within a reasonable distance? My preference would be for a public range, but if there is a good private range with reasonable membership fee, I would be interested as well. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a FYI for students only CR&PC has a Student program you only pay 20% of initiation and 20% of dues as long as you are student! My initiation was only around $100 not sure my dad payed it, and I pay only $40 a year as a student and have full access to everything and no restrictions or anything. Hope this hopes any students in the area. CR&PC is an amazing range and have wonderful people that are all very helpful and caring.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Unless you have tattoos...

A friend of mine tried to join and got rejected.

Link Posted: 3/9/2012 11:35:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Heading to Charlotte for a wedding this weekend.

Thinking about bringing my new (as of yesterday) Benelli M2.
Is there a good range in the immediate area that you all would recommend for me and the lady?

PS I know that this is what the thread is about, but I'm at work and can't afford the time now.
Most of what I have glanced over seems to be membership range info. Just need a place to swing through and send some lead.

Thanks,
John
Link Posted: 3/10/2012 1:09:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By YukonBoy03:
Heading to Charlotte for a wedding this weekend.

Thinking about bringing my new (as of yesterday) Benelli M2.
Is there a good range in the immediate area that you all would recommend for me and the lady?

PS I know that this is what the thread is about, but I'm at work and can't afford the time now.
Most of what I have glanced over seems to be membership range info. Just need a place to swing through and send some lead.

Thanks,
John

There really aren't any free public ranges here but you have a handful of indoor ranges where you can pay by the hour and at least one mentioned above by the day. Shooters express(Belmont), Firepower(Matthews), Eagle(Concord/University), Point Blank(Mooresville), Joke of Lake Norman, and I may be missing one other. Eagle is the newest and pretty nice!
Link Posted: 9/10/2012 10:21:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WackyG] [#14]
Originally Posted By kmb147:
I am in Lumberton. Can you all recommend an outdoor range within a reasonable distance? My preference would be for a public range, but if there is a good private range with reasonable membership fee, I would be interested as well. Thanks!

I'm from Fairmont, but now live in Charlotte.   Just make friends with a farmer and you're good to go.  Just need your own targets and bench.

Link Posted: 10/28/2012 10:07:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Gaston County Police Rifle range is closed untill further notice........ Hope that saves every one a trip.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 11:10:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I may have stumbled upon an outdoor shooting range in Gaffney, SC which isn't too far from Charlotte (55 miles or so) and Gastonia. I've searched everywhere for a decent place to shoot that isn't too far away and doesn't charge an arm and leg to join. I found it mentioned on the Carolinas Shooters Forum.

Gaffney Pistol/Rifle Range

On the last paragraph of this page you can see it mentioned here:

Gaffney Board of Public Works Rifle Range
Link Posted: 11/7/2012 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I go to PB here in mooresville regularly but would love to hit up a outdoor range
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#18]
You could try to get into the Mecklenburg Wildlife Club, It took a few months to get in but it is a nice private range. I am able to shoot my high powered rifle matches there.
Link Posted: 1/4/2013 1:30:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GarandMan3006:
You could try to get into the Mecklenburg Wildlife Club, It took a few months to get in but it is a nice private range. I am able to shoot my high powered rifle matches there.

I know this is pretty old to respond to your post, but does anyone know if they are still accepting applications? When i was over there 2 years ago for my hunter safety they said they weren't accepting anyone on the waiting list, would be awesome to hear that it is only taking a few months to get in now! I live just a couple minutes away and really been hoping to find something better than driving all the way to leeds.

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I just wanted to throw this out here. It's going to be a new range outside the Charlotte area. I took my CCW class from the owner and his wife. They are a great team, really hoping this works for them. I will probably join once it opens in the spring.

http://www.stonyrushing.com/take_aim_training_2_020.htm

Link Posted: 1/26/2013 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Any outdoor public ranges (100 yards or better) near Columbia SC?
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By memsu:
I may have stumbled upon an outdoor shooting range in Gaffney, SC which isn't too far from Charlotte (55 miles or so) and Gastonia. I've searched everywhere for a decent place to shoot that isn't too far away and doesn't charge an arm and leg to join. I found it mentioned on the Carolinas Shooters Forum.

Gaffney Pistol/Rifle Range

On the last paragraph of this page you can see it mentioned here:

Gaffney Board of Public Works Rifle Range

I went shooting here this weekend. It's a nice range and free. It has 3 openings at the 25 yard pistol range and about 10 benches for the 100 yard rifle range.

Only weird thing is you shoot through a concrete drainage tube. I understand why they built it this way, but you get used to it. It has a pulley system that you pull the cease fire sign in front of the tube. Makes it easy to call cease fire to go fix your targets.

It has a little building where the range officer sits. He doesn't actively patrol the range just watches over everything from the building. The building has a bathroom in it as well.

I really like this range.
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Griffin_NC:
I just wanted to throw this out here. It's going to be a new range outside the Charlotte area. I took my CCW class from the owner and his wife. They are a great team, really hoping this works for them. I will probably join once it opens in the spring.

That's good to know - I'm a member at Efird's in Ablemarle, Take Aim might have a little more variety & would allow me to bring customers out. Might consider getting a corporate membership to allow our employees to shoot too.

Link Posted: 5/1/2013 11:27:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RokenHellfire] [#24]
Originally Posted By jdub229r:

That's good to know - I'm a member at Efird's in Ablemarle, Take Aim might have a little more variety & would allow me to bring customers out. Might consider getting a corporate membership to allow our employees to shoot too.

...and here I thought moving to NC would be like moving to a pro-gun state like MI where 100 yard outdoor ranges were free and less than a 20 minutes drive from any direction...oh well.

How big is the Take Aim range?

Also, what are the range rules at Efird's? (i.e. rapid fire? Round restrictions? The good man doesn't care like a good pro-gun land owner?)

Finally here is my 2 cents about groups such as CR&PC. First of all let's get my perspective in context so no pro-gun rights citizen gets mad at another pro-gun rights citizen. I've lived in 3 states (about to be 4) so far, 2 of which have a horrible track record in terms of gun regulations. I'll forget the first one because I was too young to own a gun when I lived there anyway. So, Michigan. One of those strange purple states that has a pretty huge gun culture. Free ranges all over the place as well as gun clubs. At Michigan I bought, shot, and adored my first gun, which was a .22 LR that I picked up at Cabelas for $300. However, I must have put down range about 1000 rounds on that gun without ever going to a club or joining some shooter's membership group. Actually those long Saturdays at the range alone did felt a bit quiet, but I hardly noticed because I was more worried about my groupings. Call me anti-social, but let's move on.

So then comes Maryland, another almost purple, but definitely blue state. But I have to report, I've never felt more at home here as someone who likes his guns. It is extremely strange considering our state legislature and governor through their infinite wisdom has decided to ban weapons that has little to no relation with the majority of firearm related deaths in this country...but now I sound like the NRA, and I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir at this point. Again, I never joined the gun clubs here, which due to the lack of facilities in this state is actually hard to come by. Yet, I've bought more rifles over the last 14 months that I've lived here than I've bought in my entire life. Now I doubt 5 rifles would make anyone jump up and down on their seat on ARFCOM, but it certainly isn't exactly few considering I'm not selling or giving these to any of my family members. As I said before, the facilities here in MD are few, but at least a majority of them are opened to the public at a pretty cheap rate compared to what I've seen on this thread. Still, I did all of my shooting at my coworker's best friend's parents' backyard. We shot everything that the folks at the range said "No" to. We shot in every fashion (safety still takes precedent of course) that would be frowned upon at the ranges. We shot every caliber (except for the rare hunting calibers) and through almost every type of rifle and handgun. At the end of it, I had more fun and learned more things in that backyard than I ever did at the range. I believe I've found true American gun love there. I'm not saying the people at the range weren't helpful or friendly, but it really is a different environment. A range just feels that much more "professional" and cold, and it has everything to do with the rules. "No rapid firing, No large calibers, No X-gun on X day, No shooting objects that will react like something you'd actually be shooting at if you ever plan to use your firearm in the real world, etc" However, that doesn't stop me from going to a range if I can't find another coworker who happens to have 10 acres of land in his backyard.

Now as for the clubs, if a gun club ever wonders why its membership isn't growing or why people complain about their high fees despite their excellent facilities and people, then it is simply what I already wrote above, the RULES. I love it when a gun club member complains about how the democrats are turning this country into a nanny state (which they are), but then turns around and let some guys at a range tell him exactly what he CAN or CAN'T do AFTER he forks over a cartwheel of money. Sure, "your range, your rules" should apply everywhere, including your best buddy's backyard. But does your best buddy charge you 500 dollars, make you sit in a boring seminar going over range rules, his motto in life, his reason of letting you pop off rounds in his backyard, and of course reminds you that you should go water his lawn for 1.5 hours per week? NO, you bring him a 6 pack of beer, your own targets, clean up after yourself, and some extra ammo for him to join you and call it even. I'm not saying that's how you should run a club, but this is what people are comparing a club to when they hesitate to join one.

So why Efrid's kind of "membership range" instead of CR&PC that's so much closer? Let me sum it all up for those who think that was too long to read. No one likes rules, especially if you have to follow a bunch just to prove yourself worthy of joining something. The range rules are a hassle enough, people don't want to pay you extra money just to have to sit through club meetings. They want to hang out with their good buddies on a sunny day, pop a dozen rounds down range, and boast how good their groupings are then grab some beer and head home to watch the game. That's America, not this elitist nanny club nonsense.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 10:48:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RokenHellfire:

...and here I thought moving to NC would be like moving to a pro-gun state like MI where 100 yard outdoor ranges were free and less than a 20 minutes drive from any direction...oh well.

Also, what are the range rules at Efird's? (i.e. rapid fire? Round restrictions? The good man doesn't care like a good pro-gun land owner?)

Finally here is my 2 cents about groups such as CR&PC. First of all let's get my perspective in context so no pro-gun rights citizen gets mad at another pro-gun rights citizen. I've lived in 3 states (about to be 4) so far, 2 of which have a horrible track record in terms of gun regulations. I'll forget the first one because I was too young to own a gun when I lived there anyway. So, Michigan. One of those strange purple states that has a pretty huge gun culture. Free ranges all over the place as well as gun clubs. At Michigan I bought, shot, and adored my first gun, which was a .22 LR that I picked up at Cabelas for $300. However, I must have put down range about 1000 rounds on that gun without ever going to a club or joining some shooter's membership group. Actually those long Saturdays at the range alone did felt a bit quiet, but I hardly noticed because I was more worried about my groupings. Call me anti-social, but let's move on.

So then comes Maryland, another almost purple, but definitely blue state. But I have to report, I've never felt more at home here as someone who likes his guns. It is extremely strange considering our state legislature and governor through their infinite wisdom has decided to ban weapons that has little to no relation with the majority of firearm related deaths in this country...but now I sound like the NRA, and I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir at this point. Again, I never joined the gun clubs here, which due to the lack of facilities in this state is actually hard to come by. Yet, I've bought more rifles over the last 14 months that I've lived here than I've bought in my entire life. Now I doubt 5 rifles would make anyone jump up and down on their seat on ARFCOM, but it certainly isn't exactly few considering I'm not selling or giving these to any of my family members. As I said before, the facilities here in MD are few, but at least a majority of them are opened to the public at a pretty cheap rate compared to what I've seen on this thread. Still, I did all of my shooting at my coworker's best friend's parents' backyard. We shot everything that the folks at the range said "No" to. We shot in every fashion (safety still takes precedent of course) that would be frowned upon at the ranges. We shot every caliber (except for the rare hunting calibers) and through almost every type of rifle and handgun. At the end of it, I had more fun and learned more things in that backyard than I ever did at the range. I believe I've found true American gun love there. I'm not saying the people at the range weren't helpful or friendly, but it really is a different environment. A range just feels that much more "professional" and cold, and it has everything to do with the rules. "No rapid firing, No large calibers, No X-gun on X day, No shooting objects that will react like something you'd actually be shooting at if you ever plan to use your firearm in the real world, etc" However, that doesn't stop me from going to a range if I can't find another coworker who happens to have 10 acres of land in his backyard.

Now as for the clubs, if a gun club ever wonders why its membership isn't growing or why people complain about their high fees despite their excellent facilities and people, then it is simply what I already wrote above, the RULES. I love it when a gun club member complains about how the democrats are turning this country into a nanny state (which they are), but then turns around and let some guys at a range tell him exactly what he CAN or CAN'T do AFTER he forks over a cartwheel of money. Sure, "your range, your rules" should apply everywhere, including your best buddy's backyard. But does your best buddy charge you 500 dollars, make you sit in a boring seminar going over range rules, his motto in life, his reason of letting you pop off rounds in his backyard, and of course reminds you that you should go water his lawn for 1.5 hours per week? NO, you bring him a 6 pack of beer, your own targets, clean up after yourself, and some extra ammo for him to join you and call it even. I'm not saying that's how you should run a club, but this is what people are comparing a club to when they hesitate to join one.

So why Efrid's kind of "membership range" instead of CR&PC that's so much closer? Let me sum it all up for those who think that was too long to read. No one likes rules, especially if you have to follow a bunch just to prove yourself worthy of joining something. The range rules are a hassle enough, people don't want to pay you extra money just to have to sit through club meetings. They want to hang out with their good buddies on a sunny day, pop a dozen rounds down range, and boast how good their groupings are then grab some beer and head home to watch the game. That's America, not this elitist nanny club nonsense.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RokenHellfire:
Originally Posted By jdub229r:

First time and last time I went to Take Aim, they had four stations, Pistol, Archery, Skeet, Rifle. Pistol station had a few steel plate trees, silhouette, and such. Archery had about 4-5 targets. Skeet had maybe 6 stations. Rifle range went out to 250 yards I think. The pistol and rifle range was a little unorganized but it had just opened. I know he has plans to clear it out more and take the rifle range out further.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Planning to take a  girl on a date to the range & she lives near Charlotte.

What is a good range to fire mostly pistols, rim-fire rifles & maybe bumpfire an AK clone? Don't need to be a member, I probably won't go there again by myself & don't even know if she'll like it that much.

Any place that charges just by the day or hour?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 12:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: btrapr1] [#27]
Long Creek gun club N. of Charlotte (local)
Charlotte Rifle and Pistol (pricey getting in but they have trap/skeet/5 station clays, plinking, combat, 300yd rifle and matches open to public) *CR-PC on web
Efirds (Albemarle as mentioned)
Sumter Nat'l. forrest in S. Carolina (about an 1 south of Char.) has three ranges (100yds) but they get crowded so U need to go early *real rednecks there!
Mecklenburg Wildife (In Char off I-85 near airport
Piedmont gun club in Rutherfordton (has a 600yds rifle range)
Hawks Ridge (hosts 1k shoots)
Catawba Valley Gunclub

*there is a new range- Near MONROE just across the S.C. line!  i know Stoney (owner) from when he was in Monroe but havent been to the new place.  Looks like he has a combat vet. teaching tactical rifle and pistol if your looking for that.  I have no business ties to this guy or his business just passing along the info.

LINK BELOW
http://takeaimtrainingrange.wildapricot.org/
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Anyone know anything about Long Creek Rifle and Pistol Club in Mt. Holly?

I spent an hour searching and I did find a discussion from Arfcom in 2008, but no one could find it or get a call back when they left messages.

I also found an address but looking at Google Earth, that location is a residential neighborhood.

I think maybe this range closed a long time ago.  

Anyone have any info?

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 5:48:54 PM EDT
[#29]
So what (if any) ranges around Charlotte allow drawing from a holster when practicing? I want to know where there is a place that I can practice IDPA type stuff.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:14:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hatchetface] [#30]
The Uwharrie "Flintlock Shooting Range" is open again.
Open year-round, the range provides 25-yard pistol and 100-yard rifle ranges.
Fees: $3 per-person-per-day or $30 for an annual pass
Details about range and where to purchase annual or daily pass
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 5:33:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Charlotte's newest Indoor Shooting Range is Blackstone Shooting Sports.

2001 Wilikinson Blvd
Charlotte NC 28208

Blackstone is on US74 off I-277 ( Wilkinson / Independence Blvd in the shadows of Uptown Charlotte and near the Airport

27,000 Square Feet for Retail and Seperate Ranges for Rifles/Shotguns away from the Pistol Shooters.

Fairly Liberal with the rules.....$20.00 per hour for Non-Members.

This palce is the Taj Mahal of Indoor Ranges.

Web Address     www.blackstoneshooting.com    

Tele # 704-414-6020

The staff is friendly
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:13:22 PM EDT
[#32]
That Blackstone place looks great! Even one of the guys in the video on their web site had a BFL tattoo.

I'm coming to Charlotte on the first weekend in June to visit my parrents. Looking for a place to go shooting with him. He is mostly a handgun shooter, but I want to bring a couple of SBRs and Suppressors with me. 5.56 and 300BLK with some 22LR and 45acp probably thrown in.

Last time I went he took me to a place called Sportsman's in Rock Hill SC. Not bad, but it's pistol only.

Any CR&PC members here want to bring out a couple of guests for a day?
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Greetings. Floridian moving to the High Point area. Looking for decent outdoor rifle range, preferably 600 yard key type club  but interested in all. I expect to pay a reasonable membership fee for a quality facility.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:20:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#35]
There's Point Blank Range in Matthews on Monroe Road. Fee is $18 all day. Pistol, rifle or shotgun and it's rated up to .50BMG.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 8:33:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: C_Swimm] [#36]
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:

It's indoor, but Eagle in Concord has been very NFA friendly to me. I shoot suppressed pistols and SBRs every time I go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
Originally Posted By C_Swimm:
That Blackstone place looks great! Even one of the guys in the video on their web site had a BFL tattoo.

I'm coming to Charlotte on the first weekend in June to visit my parrents. Looking for a place to go shooting with him. He is mostly a handgun shooter, but I want to bring a couple of SBRs and Suppressors with me. 5.56 and 300BLK with some 22LR and 45acp probably thrown in.

Last time I went he took me to a place called Sportsman's in Rock Hill SC. Not bad, but it's pistol only.

Any CR&PC members here want to bring out a couple of guests for a day?

It's indoor, but Eagle in Concord has been very NFA friendly to me. I shoot suppressed pistols and SBRs every time I go.

Thanks. I just got back. My father is mainly into pistols so we went to Sportsmans in Rock Hill. Not bad. We went a bit over an hour and they only only charged us for the 1 hour anyway. I wasn't expecting that, but it was nice of them. The store is pretty well stocked too.

We went around checking out some other stores after. First it was Carolina Sporting arms. Nice store nice range. but range fees are a bit high.

Next we went to Blackstone. One of the nicest gun shops I've ever seen. Nice looking range too, but pricey. Store selection wasn't as good as I'd hoped.

Next was Hyatt. Lots of stuff. Pricey though. No range.

Swung by Cabella's on the way back. Wow. Much better selection than any of the other big box stores. I hope we get one in my area.

Link Posted: 9/23/2015 5:02:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:00:13 PM EDT
[#38]
I live in Waxhaw and go to Efirds.  Been going there for about 10 years now.  Might finally join up the range in Waxhaw, since I hear the rules and restrictions to membership are changing, just have to see.

What about Efird's?  Well, it's a simple, but adequate outdoor range.  That means it gets hot and cold, but I guess the beauty of it is no lead ventilation crap.  It has an approx. 50 yd pistol range.  It also has an approx. 100 yd+ rifle and/or pistol range.  Nowadays, you have to bring your own targets and holders.  Those political office signs make nice target holders.  Just sayin'.    The rifle range is covered, the pistol range is not.  There is a serviceable bathroom on site.

Annual fees are now $175.00.  But if you shoot a lot, it comes out in the wash.  Yeah he still does the $20.00 a day thing, for visitors, so this works well for wives and girlfriends, just not at the same time.  

It ain't that bad of drive these days, since the road is now two-lane.  I usually stop off at the wallyworld in Locust for targets and/or ammo, which breaks up the trip.  Probably takes about 45 minutes drive time.  

I've always thought this was a pretty good range.  I could always draw from the holster and practice combative pistol stuff.  From 0-25m or so.  The rifle or main range has concrete benches if that's what you're into, however, if you go during off-hours, you can shoot in front of the benches, to practice your prone, kneeling, and standing positions.  Also practice mag changes, and malf drills.  The works.  I even practice movement.  From 0-125m or so.  So really, for me, this has been the perfect range.

You can even shoot pistol from the main range, if you want the overhead cover and a bench.

I've never really seen the drive as that big of a downer.  I mean that's just the wave of the future; nobody wants all that noise in their neighborhood anymore.  A local church just built a new facility close to the Waxhaw range.  They left this huge dirt berm up between them and the range.  I guess it's praise the lord, but get behind the berm.

So anyways, Efird's, GTG.  A little primitive, so you city boys be sure and bring the Deep Woods Off.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Wesmar Shooting range
1492 Horneytown Road
High Point, NC 27265

336-362-3710

NIce range, Keith is a great guy.
4 position rifle to 100yds.
Handgun range, maybe 6 positions

He has a 300yd range that he will open on Mondays by appointment only but if he has enough regular people requesting it he may open it up more regularly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:07:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Thunder_Stick] [#40]
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Nice that there is a range to go to where you don't have to be a member...this just means it will be packed.

I am a member of Take Aim Training in Pageland, SC.  Still closer if you live on the east side of Charlotte.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:49:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Wish there were some good public outdoor ranges in Charlotte,. Sadly I'm afraid the closest we'll get is the Mecklenburg Wildlife Club.
Although I'm reluctant to join their group as the price is high, $20 monthly and I don't shoot regularly enough to justify $250 up front. (ammo is expensive and I'm not reloading)

As for shooters express in belmont. I wouldn't go there if you value your life. They have a 2 star rating on google for a reason.
The range is a rental / fun gun zone where inexperienced shooters with no training are loaned high caliber pistol/ rifle to play with (take selfies, etc)

I have my NC CCW and refuse to go in there after some of the muzzle flagging that personally happened to me with new AR buyers after the sandy hook indecent.
Just young guys with no experience in safety

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 10:27:11 PM EDT
[#43]
BS;  plenty of tats there.  

Originally Posted By Sgt_P:
Unless you have tattoos...

A friend of mine tried to join and got rejected.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Any updates from the hive on new air updated places?  I'm thinking I might make a trip down to Take Aim this weekend and take a look.  I met Stony a little while back and he's a nice guy.  I hope the range is a good fit for what I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:58:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Wow I must say that coming from WV, I am very disappointed in the range options in the area.

I have been in Gastonia for about a year and only recently went to Shooters Express for the first time. The storefront was actually of better quality than I expected, but the range left much and more to be desired. I’ve never been huge on indoor ranges any way.

As for outdoor ranges, it’s looking like Leeds in SC and PHA are good options.

Has anyone been to Foothills out near Shelby? Looks like a nice facility but also looks like it could be an outdoor range with an indoor range vibe.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:50:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Any updates to decent outdoor ranges around the CLT area. I'm potentially moving down to the area so i'm looking for a decent outdoor range without tons of rules and RO's who want to break balls....Thats sort of asking a lot these days.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 5:08:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PC-Tech] [#48]
So I went to Foothills Public Shooting Complex of Cleveland County . It's about 45min from Huntersville, going some back roads. Today the weather was nice so I gave it a try. I did the 250 Yard and the Steel Target range. Being a Public range, they did have range officers at each range checking your weapon for obstruction in the barrel and making sure no steal ammo.

I didn't enjoy the 250 range, I'm used to other places where it's more open. Because of the way its set up, I felt a little claustrophobic. Look at the pics on their site. I understand why they have it set up the way they do. There is absolutely no chances of a bullet leaving that range. You do have to qualify at 50yards before using that range. They give you a piece of paper that's good for 90 days and keeps getting extended as long as you shoot the same gun within the 90 days. Definitely good if you need to sight in a gun.

The steel target range was a blast. everybody seemed to gravitate to my CZ Scorpion SBR including the RO. They have different types of targets set up depending on what you want to shoot. I didn't see anyone goofing off or being a danger to anyone. Folks were friendly including the RO.

Price was right. $10 to get in, $10 For the Steal range, and some other fees, which included 2 extra targets and the one-time ID Card. I think my total was around $27.

I would go again.

PC-Tech
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#49]
So I went to Foothills Public Shooting Complex of Cleveland County . It's about 45min from Huntersville, going some back roads. Today the weather was nice so I gave it a try. I did the 250 Yard and the Steel Target range. Being a Public range, they did have range officers at each range checking your weapon for obstruction in the barrel and making sure no steal ammo.

I didn't enjoy the 250 range, I'm used to other places where it's more open. Because of the way its set up, I felt a little claustrophobic. Look at the pics on their site. I understand why they have it set up the way they do. There is absolutely no chances of a bullet leaving that range. You do have to qualify at 50yards before using that range. They give you a piece of paper that's good for 90 days and keeps getting extended as long as you shoot the same gun within the 90 days. Definitely good if you need to sight in a gun.

The steel target range was a blast. everybody seemed to gravitate to my CZ Scorpion SBR including the RO. They have different types of targets set up depending on what you want to shoot. I didn't see anyone goofing off or being a danger to anyone. Folks were friendly including the RO.

Price was right. $10 to get in, $10 For the Steal range, and some other fees, which included 2 extra targets and the one-time ID Card. I think my total was around $27.

I would go again.

PC-Tech
View Quote
I don't enjoy it and I live less than 7 miles from it. Fudd central. ask them if you can shoot m855 or m193. Their responses will give you cancer.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Ridgedaddy:

I don't enjoy it and I live less than 7 miles from it. Fudd central. ask them if you can shoot m855 or m193. Their responses will give you cancer.
View Quote
I understand why no M855 as there rules state no steel core, but isn't M193 just lead core.  Did they tell you why?  I didn't take my AR's with me.  Just a Rem 700 in 308, the CZ Scorpion, and a Ruger 22/45.  They did check my ammo and told me I could not shoot some Tula Ammo I had.  I understand that might not be the safest with steel targets.

I did see a sign on the 250Y range that stated no rapid shooting, or something to that affect.  They didn't give me a hard time at the steel range, on how fast I was shooting.

It's still better then what I have here. I was going to Belton gun club in Belton SC, with a friend that had a membership.  That's a nice privet range, but 2 hours away from me. We also have point blank, but limited to 25-yard indoor shooting.  Even that range has ammo rules, no steel or aluminum case, steel core, incendiary or tracers.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top