Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2008 9:05:21 PM EDT
Ok. so my ex apparently got a ticket for 70 in a 55. She says she was on 321 and the spped limit had just changed to 55 and was pulled over while getting off her exit. This was at 9pm. She's heard all the myths about if the info is wrong, then it will be thrown out. I told her that (im no LEO or lawyer or an expert) but its prolly gotta be very wrong. Like they wrote down a completely different make and model or got the plate number off real bad. But she was pulled over at 9pm her ticket is marked 9am. Oddly she was at the doctors office at 9am. Maybe she could show a reciept from the doc and say she wasnt even driving at 9? i told her its a long shot and proll not gona work. But, she specifically asked me to see the opinion of ARF. so Amuse me if you will, any substance to her plan?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:10:58 AM EDT
[#1]
She's better off just going to court, cutting a deal to get it 9 over the limit which is 64 in a 55.  If she has no other tickets in the last 3 years it wont affect her insurance rates, if she does she could get a Prayer for Judgment or PFJ Continued.  She'd have to go to court anyhow to challenge the typo, ask the judge to toss it if not, then try for the reduction or PFJ

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:54:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Lawyers are way cheaper than insurance hikes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:55:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If it was my ex, she'd be gettin' no good advice from me
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:59:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I think a decent lawyer could get it tossed and if not certainly PBJ if her record is OK.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:10:07 AM EDT
[#5]
The ticket wont get tossed due to a simple typo like that. And if I'm not mistaken, it is 55 for a fair bit before you reach the 321 exit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:14:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The ticket wont get tossed due to a simple typo like that. And if I'm not mistaken, it is 55 for a fair bit before you reach the 321 exit.

NCPatrol is right. Quite a ways, it drops to 55 before you get to the Dallas exits, posted twice in huge "55 MPH" signs on either side of the road with big yellow reflectors on them. It drops to 45 about a half mile before you get to the 85 interchange.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thats just what she told me. About the exit i mean. I appreciate the info. We didnt end our relationship on good terms but im just not coldhearted enough to try and screw her over everychance i get. I talked to her this morning. She got another ticket a year ago to the day. I told her to go talk to a lawyer asap.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Lawyers will send her plenty of letters over the next few days. Pick one and let them have it. That has worked for me plenty of times and I have no points on my license or insurance.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#9]
She'll get plenty of lawyer solicitations. Tell her to loose that lead foot, that would be her best bet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 6:46:11 PM EDT
[#10]
First off she is not going to get it dismissed on something like that.  DA's can ammend things in open court so that will not work.  If she has had one ticket before and did not get a PJC then this could be the time that she should consider one.  But she needs to know that if she gets another during the term that judgement is continued then she will come back into court and face them both.  If she cannot be sure she can slow down then the best bet is to see if they will reduce it to 9 over like the other post said.  This makes it an infraction and she can pay it and walk out.  The cost will be $25.00 fine, $121.00 in court costs, and 2pts on her license.  Oh and if you are wondering yes I am LEO here in NC and that is what happens to about 99% of the speeding tickets I write. Some of that 99% had lawyers and ended up paying them to get the same deal as the guy in front of them who just talked to the ADA about it himself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top