Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 6:10:33 AM EDT
Wow...never been actually afraid at a rifle range before sunday. A black male who appeared to be intoxicated was loud and beligerant, raised a 12 ga stockless shotgun up to his EYE to aim down the barrel, fired, SPLIT his cheek and later whilst  in FRONT of the firing line on a hot range... he raised up and did it again. Fortunately at that point he had had enough and left. WOW. First time i have ever felt the need to be condition 1 on a rifle range.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:53:08 AM EDT
[#2]
that sucks.

How many other people were there?

I might have called the authorities...
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
two others were there, for those that are unfamiliar with the range it is an open public range without any sort of supervision. Believe me if he had stayed any longer i would have called the authorities i probably should have called anyways. Did i mention he walked over to some kids table picked up a pistol, He did not ask he just did it while he asked to look at it  and immediatly racked the slide back chambering a round before the kid said anything. when he racked that slide back my body went cold and my hand discretely found my pistol Nothing happened, the black man became concerned he also very loudly said over and over "theres a round in the chamber round in the chamber" made me VERY uncomfortable He went on to eye everyones things, tell us over and over in some wild eyed way how he Likes guns alot. (all the while sporting a bloody welt from the 12 ga) Like i said probably at that point should have called the authorites but i sorta felt like there was some chance if i got up and left my gear unattended to make a phone call something would happen, or if i got out of pistol range my fellow responsible citizens would be vulnerable. it was just an all around bad situation. and i didnt want to make things worse by making a call right there infront of this obviously drunk/drugged up a$$hole. too bad my all of my prejudices against him on my walk up to the range turned out to be completely right on.

Point is be careful!  this guy obviously did not belong, was firing a weapon he had never handled in his life (maybe stolen?) perhaps it was his plan to go to one of these secluded unsupervised ranges, rob the shooters and pawn their gear for crack, who knows.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:37:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have seen some stoopid (sp) stuff there.  I carry a loaded sidearm the entire time I am there.

How did you like the new benches?  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
new benches were nice though
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
two others were there, for those that are unfamiliar with the range it is an open public range without any sort of supervision. Believe me if he had stayed any longer i would have called the authorities i probably should have called anyways. Did i mention he walked over to some kids table picked up a pistol, He did not ask he just did it while he asked to look at it  and immediatly racked the slide back chambering a round before the kid said anything. when he racked that slide back my body went cold and my hand discretely found my pistol Nothing happened, the black man became concerned he also very loudly said over and over "theres a round in the chamber round in the chamber" made me VERY uncomfortable He went on to eye everyones things, tell us over and over in some wild eyed way how he Likes guns alot. (all the while sporting a bloody welt from the 12 ga) Like i said probably at that point should have called the authorites but i sorta felt like there was some chance if i got up and left my gear unattended to make a phone call something would happen, or if i got out of pistol range my fellow responsible citizens would be vulnerable. it was just an all around bad situation. and i didnt want to make things worse by making a call right there infront of this obviously drunk/drugged up a$$hole. too bad my all of my prejudices against him on my walk up to the range turned out to be completely right on.

Point is be careful!  this guy obviously did not belong, was firing a weapon he had never handled in his life (maybe stolen?) perhaps it was his plan to go to one of these secluded unsupervised ranges, rob the shooters and pawn their gear for crack, who knows.

wow.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Its sad. I frequent both ranges in the forest and have seen some very bad things out there. I like many others always keep a weapon on me when there for the simple reason you never know who will be there or will show up.

Wish something could be done to make it enjoyable to go and not have to worry about what kind of idiots will be there doing idiotic things.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#8]
A friend and I were at Candy Branch in Abbeville last week when a guy we have seen there frequently started bump firing his AK pistol.  This guy always makes us nervous as he has no gun discipline at all.  We left shortly after, and so did the father/son group (that didn't have any ear pro at all ) .
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
First time i have ever felt the need to be condition 1 on a rifle range.

No matter what I've got on the table shooting I've got a pistol on me.  You never know when the weather is going to turn bad so to speak.  I've been going to the forest service range near Newberry and from time to time cars will pull in and slowly look around. You never know what these clowns are up to.
A drunk on the range... I would have called the cops.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:23:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been out to Twin Ponds Rifle Range alone before. Twice. Never again. I always go with a buddy now-a-days.

Even with a buddy I don't feel safe sometimes. Some of the trashiest people in SC frequent that place.

The only time I felt safe there when I went by myself was when I pulled up, and the only other people there were Sheriff's. 7 of them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've been out to Twin Ponds Rifle Range alone before. Twice. Never again. I always go with a buddy now-a-days.

Even with a buddy I don't feel safe sometimes. Some of the trashiest people in SC frequent that place.

The only time I felt safe there when I went by myself was when I pulled up, and the only other people there were Sheriff's. 7 of them.

If I am out there by myself I usually sling a loaded rifle before going to get my targets.  I was shooting several years ago at Boggy Head with a buddy who had several FA toys.  We heard a car door shut behind us as he was finishing a mag on a MP-5.  It was a local Deputy.  Cool guy.  He asked some questions and then told us some stories about some of the crazy folks around the area and then told us to be careful.

FWIW there are several Charleston Police that shoot out there.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#12]
it's a real shame what goes on at public ranges sometimes

i used to shoot at the range in richmond hill, GA most of the time everyone was cool, being safe and communicating with each other about cease fire, ear pro, etc.

every once in a while theres some jack*** there thats completely oblivious to things like safety and courtesy. or, even worse the know-it-all thats being unsafe

i too carry condition 1 every time i'm at a public range
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#13]

That kinda crap gives ammunition to those who want to shut down ranges!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#14]
its a real shame but it does.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been to boggy head several times with no issues. Glad it all turned out alright.  I hate when stuff like that happens. Next time call the law, asap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top