Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 6:54:41 PM EDT
I have looked and looked and cant find anywhere that tells me how to get there. The stories ive heard fascinate me and i have to see it. Anybody here been? Share experiences please.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Downtown Savannah?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#2]
No in NC. Its somewhere near siler city.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Been there with my FIL after looking at a large tract of land nearby. It's nothing but a small clearing with a fire pit and a lot of trash. It didn't seem very ominous, of course it was daytime when I visited. I'll try to look it up online.

Here's the Wiki:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Tramping_Ground

I have a hard time believing that nobody has spent the night there. ARFCOM camp-out anyone?

Meh, Mapquest and Google maps suck.  I can't get the links to display properly.

ETA; Coordinates: +35° 35' 3.54", -79° 29' 13.26" (35.584317, -79.487017) @35.584317,-79.487017

or,

"The Devil's Tramping Ground is approximately 50 miles south of Greensboro. It is not easy to find and be prepared for mild hiking, rural driving, and super-natural phenomenon.

Take 421 South Approximately 38 miles.
Turn Right onto State Route 902 Follow For about 7 Miles.
Turn Left of Devil's Tromping Grounds Rd. (Not Marked) Follow for 1.7 miles.

You should see a gravel pull off on the left. The Devil's Tramping Ground is about 150 feet down the dirt path."

That's where I went and where I was told the actual boogety place is, although not from a local so I can't be sure. Supposedly nothing will grow there and nothing will stay in that circle overnight (gets moved). It's probbaly Uncle Jed dumping his shine there and screwing with the outsiders when they set up camp. I did drive all over that big tract of land to the west and it was a little creepy and barren. It's mostly ATV trails, but I think it's been bought now. The Wiki pic looks a little different from when I went (probably 2-3 years ago). It was more overgrown around the outside of the circle.

If you're a satanist or have nefarious intentions, please forget these directions.

Oh, and watch your cornhole. The folks in Bennett didn't seem to take to "outsiders".
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have looked and looked and cant find anywhere that tells me how to get there. The stories ive heard fascinate me and i have to see it. Anybody here been? Share experiences please.

Ohhh, you are talking about my ex wife's house. Yeah I can give you directions.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ohhh, you are talking about my ex wife's house. Yeah I can give you directions.

How old is she? She hot? jk
but seriously, thanks. Ive read dozens of stories about. they say you can do anything to circle or put something down and yeah it gets moved or destroyed.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Go to Google maps, find where 902 and 421 intersect, at Bear Creek, then follow 902 west to Harper's Crossroads, then follow Devil's Tramping Ground Rd. north and you'll see a little clearing right off the road to the left on the "photo" view. Actually people have spent the night out there. I know because me and 3 high school friends done it back in 99. Didn't sleep or set up tents or anything, just a gas lantern, a cooler (with provisions) and a deck of cards. Just sat around out there from 11:45pm til around 5:30am and got bored and left, and we ran out of "drink" around 2am. lol We did have a couple of people stop in to investigate the place like we were right after we got there, but they said we were crazy for hanging around and they left. I grew up in Star NC, bout 30 minutes from the place. Heard all the stories about that place, Gravity Hill, Loving Hill, etc. Been to each of them and it's a little weird with all the stories, but no truth to any of it that I could see. Loving Hill they say you can hear a woman and a baby screaming in the middle of the night. We sat out ther all night in the car with the windows down and never heard a thing. Even though bobcats and such live in the woods around there. Anyway, if you were serious about staying there some night, done it once, and I'd do it again.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Ive been there and spent the night , very very very drunk. Slep in my TRUCK, outside the circle of course. That was the early to mid 90's and it was crappy then probably worse now. Will
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Slept in your trunk???
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Last time I was there (15 or more years ago) the circle was still visible but there were weeds growing in it...I wasn't impressed.  I;ve been more frightened being in the same room with sp00ky
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I ment Truck, must still bees drunkin.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Last time I was there (15 or more years ago) the circle was still visible but there were weeds growing in it...I wasn't impressed.  I;ve been more frightened being in the same room with sp00ky

Huh, I'd be scared to be in the same room with you and U352!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 4:37:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok so you guys got me curious so I looked this place up

www.geocities.com/trampingground/

Seems pretty interesting. I like it. I love history like that.

greensboring.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=993
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#13]
We have a spot were im from in SC called summerville light road suposedly there is a light that will fallow you down it ive been there hundreds of times and never saw it.  It was a great place to take a girl becuse they would always freak out and hudle up an you. Know the road is not pasable do to a lot of loging.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#14]
double tap

the internet here sucks
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:43:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Never been there, but my old neighbors were from Siler City.  I asked them about it, they said to them it seemed like a bunch of bullcrap, and that they had all spent the night out there.  They said it is a big redneck hangout now, IIRC, and everyone leaves their trash out there.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow. I was getting myself worked up pretty good to go see if i could find the place this weekend. Now i dont think ill waste the gas. I grew up in lincolnton and every last book on NC from my school libraries always mentioned it. Ive asked older people about it. I even had a preacher give me the"Dont go messing with things you dont understand, you might  just find what your lookin for" speech. It always sounded to good to pass up. Now ive got people telling me who have been there its nothin like what ive been told. Thank for savin me some gas. Any where else that is worth checkin out? I mean like ghosts and thi9ngs in NC.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#17]
What night are you going?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#18]
What's wrong with redneck hangout???
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 1:52:52 PM EDT
[#19]
North Carolina has a lot of history with paranormal or unusual activity. One that comes to mind are the Brown Mountain Lights.

http://www.westernncattractions.com/BMLights.htm
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive been there but only in the day. Theres a place near asheville that guarantees youll experience paranormal phenomena or you get your money back. If i can find the flyer ill post a pic.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:20:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I used to hang out at a "Redneck" hangout back when I was younger. We had a place bout a mile off the main road down in the woods beside a soybean field that used to be a tobbacco field. There was this old foundation of an old tobbacco barn out there prob 4-5 feet off the ground. Some guys when and built like a small patio around it, with a half ass built brick BBQ pit to cookout on. We called it the "Bean Porch" Used to go out there, probably 12-15 people and drink til we woke up the next morning laying on the ground. Kinda looked like Jonestown the day after with all the people laying on the deck and on the ground. I quit going out there and heard a while after some guys had caught the pit on fire and burnt the porch down and about 3 acres of the woods. lol   Ahhh, the memories of growing up in Montgomery County! Sorry bout getting off topic, just the "Redneck" hangout got me.....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
"...Ahhh, the memories of growing up in Montgomery County! Sorry bout getting off topic, just the "Redneck" hangout got me.....

So, is the Pump and Munch and real place?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#23]
No, but might as well be. I did know a guy years ago nicknamed "Spider". Was a bald guy with a spiderweb tattooed on top of his head. He wasn't right in the head anyway. Before he got the tattoo his nickname was "Commando".   Don't ask....
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No, but might as well be. I did know a guy years ago nicknamed "Spider". Was a bald guy with a spiderweb tattooed on top of his head. He wasn't right in the head anyway. Before he got the tattoo his nickname was "Commando".   Don't ask....

lmao. about a million things come to mind with knowing someone like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top