Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/30/2008 3:50:50 PM EDT
I'm 20 & the law in NC says you must be 21 to buy one. Not to mention most range's policy is no one under 21 may even rent one. I've got until February of 2009.  

Is anyone here that would like to show me some different models? I'm willing to pay for amunition, range fee's, etc & clean the guns if you'll show me how.

I'm especially interested in 1911's*, a Ruger SP101 & GP100, Glock 19 & 21. I'm open to other choices though.

I'm currently working 2 jobs so my days off vary. I'm off June 2'd, 5'th, 12'th & 13'th though.

I'm not sure how many other ranges there are in this area but I know there's one near here at http://www.triadgunsource.com/ . I'm in the Winston-Salem area if you know of another range you'd prefer.

*Preferably the $400ish Springfield or Taurus versions as me paying $1,800 for a premium grade version that might eventually be confiscated would make me nausous.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you ever make it to Rutherford County, I'll take you up on that offer.

Sorry you aren't closer.  Good luck, though!   The more people CCW the better our state will be!
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Just how far away is Rutherford from Winston? Is it near the coast?
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Half way between Asheville and Charlotte.  US 74 cuts the county in half. About two hours from Winston.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
You off tomorrow by any chance?  I have a G-19, G-17, G-30, 1911 and a couple of wheel guns you could try.  Ammo cost only. Leaving for VA for a week on Sunday.

I am in Guilford County just east of High Point.  30 or so minute drive from Winston.

Also, if you are looking toward a 1911, might I recommend you looking at a S&W.  You can find them pretty cheap on the EE every now and then.  They don't seem to hold their price like others, but with the features I don't think you can beat them.  I love mine.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 5:52:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Half way between Asheville and Charlotte.  US 74 cuts the county in half. About two hours from Winston.  

If a woman can have different hand bags ans shoes for every outfit they wear, then a man should have different handguns for concealed carry.

I have two that are dedicated for cc.  For church I have a two shot 9mm derringer that is carried in a pocket.  For around town, I have a Kel-Tec P-11.  I bought a 1911 years ago and I bought a Jak Slide holster for it the other day so I can start carrying it.  So that makes three that will be in my rotation.  Most of the time I carry a primary gun and the derringer as a gun of last resort.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have two that are dedicated for cc.  For church I have a two shot 9mm derringer that is carried in a pocket.

You should try carrying that derringer under your belt like this fellow.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpmogHestZI

You off tomorrow by any chance? I have a G-19, G-17, G-30, 1911 and a couple of wheel guns you could try. Ammo cost only. Leaving for VA for a week on Sunday.

Jinsing sha da ba kuju*. I have to work most weekends including this one.

*If you watch Firefly, You'll get the joke.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I will be carrying a 38 Davis derringer to church.  My CCW should be back this Thursday.  Couldn't squeeze it out before leaving on vacation.

Maybe we can line up a time when I get back.  I have a range in my back yard.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]

I have a range in my back yard

Me too but mine is more of a tree stump that I sit 2 liter soda bottles on or trees that I nail targets to.

That's one of the benefits of living WAY in the backwoods.

The trouble is that my range is more of a "across the room  or maybe the yard range" than a "Quigly Down Under" setup. I'd host a shoot there excet it's a mess & I can picture the insurance trouble.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 6:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you checked with gun shops within a reasonable drive from your house?  There's a gun shop here that has an indoor range and you can rent guns.

A good tip for CCW (especially when starting out and you're trying to keep costs and logistics streamlined and minimal) is to get a Full Size gun and Compact (or Sub-Compact) gun that uses the exact same magazines and ammunition.

There are several types of makes and model available for this, but the example I give (and use daily) is:

Glock 17 ( Full Size 9mm - 19+1 capacity )
Glock 19 ( Compact / Medium 9mm - 15+1 capacity )
Glock 26 ( Sub-Compact 9mm - 10+1 capacity )

All three of the above firearms have the exact same function, grip angle, and ammunition.  Each smaller gun can use the magazines for the larger gun.

I carry a Glock 26 daily at work with 10+1 inside the gun with two 19-round magazines in my back pocket.  This is done with the Glock in an Alessi ankle holster wearing dress slacks.

Some people do not appreciate the handling of the Glock, so it's only an example.  There are several firearm platforms that offer a Large, Medium, and Small version with magazine compatability to help streamline your costs.

To wit, my Glock 26 only has one 10 round magazine, but I've got 80+ 17 & 19 round magazines and a dozen 33 round magazines.   That 10 round magazine is only what I use to keep the gun's overall dimensions small when concealing it, and my reloads are always 17 or 19 round, since magazines conceal better than firearms.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:24:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Have you checked with gun shops within a reasonable drive from your house? There's a gun shop here that has an indoor range and you can rent guns.

There's only 1 gunstore around here & that rents only has a .38 to rent & you must be 21 to do that.

There's a pawnshop that I bought some guns from but I've heard a lot of bad about them here & my own experience there was less than good. They don't do rentals or even have a range.

The only other place around here that sells guns is Walmart & they don't sell handguns period & even if they did, I wouldn't feel right shopping there.

A good tip for CCW (especially when starting out and you're trying to keep costs and logistics streamlined and minimal) is to get a Full Size gun and Compact (or Sub-Compact) gun that uses the exact same magazines and ammunition.

I've heard that before & it does make sense.
Link Posted: 5/30/2008 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've heard that before & it does make sense.

It makes sense when you're just starting out in guns.  Before you know it you've got 30 guns and you're screwed!
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:11:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Well I went to Morris's today. I think I found my gunstore.  

I rented the G19, the GP100 with .38 special's & 2 Kimber .45's. I forget what they were called but one was small & stainless & the other was a little bit larger & blued.

Chuck was out sick so I spoke to a fellow named Ray*. He was very polite & helpful.

I shot the best with the G19 but I really liked the GP100. I wish I was shooting it right now. Where's the drool emoticon?  Made me feel like Paladin**.

The Kimbers were nice & the recoil was a bit rough but I got over that.

I'll try to post some pictures of my targets but my digital camera is broke so I'm going to have to get another.  

I don't suppose ya'll are hiring are you?  Oh, I meant to ask Ray but I forgot, what's the story behind the bullet hole in the 2'd range door window?

*Get well soon Chuck.  

**If you don't know who that is, sell all your guns until you can afford to buy the DVD's  . Here's a link to a few episodes.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yCOp8j5pno&feature=user

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpmogHestZI&feature=related
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:40:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I just noticed that Morris's is not on the NC FFL's at the top so somene might want to change that.

Here's the link to their site. Range fee was $12 for all you can shoot.
www.thesportsmanslodge.org/

They also have a nice selection of rentals besides the ones I mentioned. Rentals are $10 each plus ammunition.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#14]
You do know that you can legally own and carry your firearm at age 18, right?  CC is one thing, but you can open carry to your heart's content while you wait to turn 21.  Check this out.Talk to .40 cal, he's the NC state administrator.  He can point you in the right direction.  PS, 1911 is definitely the way to go (I have several myself).
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#15]
The trick is, you have to get a pistol purchase permit to buy a handgun from anyone, FFL or not.

You must obtain said permit from the sherrif in the county you reside in. Mine doesn't give out permits to anyone under 21.

Thus, I have 9 months to go before being able to buy a handgun. I may have shot better with the G19 but I really love the GP100.

Thus, in the words of ARF'com, I will be "getting both".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top