Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2007 9:26:16 PM EDT
So in NC....

Are "daggers" illegal?  (double edged blade)

Are blades under a certain length illegal?

Are blades over a certain length illegal?

Are automatic knives illegal?

Are assisted-opening knives illegal?

Is it illegal to carry a knife concealed?  

Apparently even though Open Carry of a firearm is legal in NC, you can still get a firearm-related conviction for "going armed to the terror of the public" which means that you openly displayed a gun, someone saw it, and was scared.   There's no protection against that and it's an automatic conviction since the only defense was 1) you didnt have a gun or 2) they didnt see a gun, which both of those immediately go out the window if they report you for having a gun and the cops search you and find it.

That being said, I've been carrying several knives around on me in addition to guns and was wanting to know the limitations of whats what.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Apparently even though Open Carry of a firearm is legal in NC, you can still get a firearm-related conviction for "going armed to the terror of the public" which means that you openly displayed a gun, someone saw it, and was scared.   There's no protection against that and it's an automatic conviction since the only defense was 1) you didnt have a gun or 2) they didnt see a gun, which both of those immediately go out the window if they report you for having a gun and the cops search you and find it.

You are over-generalizing the statute. Getting charged with "Going Armed...." isnt as simple as that.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are over-generalizing the statute. Getting charged with "Going Armed...." isnt as simple as that.

I'm an alarmist.  I like to cherry-pick "THE SKY IS FALLING" stuff that furthers my agenda.

That agenda right now is "I want to carry a push knife, SOG Flash II, and a giant bowie knife" concealed beneath my clothing.

Plus I was just parrotting what a detective around here said.  I should've known better
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm an alarmist.  I like to cherry-pick "THE SKY IS FALLING" stuff that furthers my agenda.

That agenda right now is "I want to carry a push knife, SOG Flash II, and a giant bowie knife" concealed beneath my clothing.

Plus I was just parrotting what a detective around here said.  I should've known better

of the 3 items you listed, only the SOG (depending on size) could be legally carried concealed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
What's the deal with the push knife?   I have a Safe-Keeper III and it's single-edged blade.

Is it too small?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 2:03:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Doesnt meet the parameters of being a "pocket knife" as far as I know of
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Statute?  I thought it was common law (ie, based on case histories), which is why it takes more than just beeing seen with a weapon.

"ordinary pocket knife" means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse, that has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Statute?  I thought it was common law (ie, based on case histories), which is why it takes more than just beeing seen with a weapon.

It is a common law offense (272 NC 535; 32 NC App 495) but most legal books has that information listed under "statute" for simplicity's sake. The fact of it being common law doesnt make a difference when it comes to the needed elements for charging of the offense.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:34:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Back to the OP, what is legal and what is not legal?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Read and all will be revealed

http://ftp.legislature.state.nc.us/gascripts/statutes/Statutes.asp

NOI
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:09:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow.  I think we have more laws than people.  It looks like if you're having fun in NC, you're probably breaking the law.

Also, according to this, it is UNLAWFUL for anybody (including police officers) to have a knife that operates with a spring action.

14-269.6

Just about every knife is illegal to carry concealed since they "can be opened by a throwing action" -  such as the CRKT m16.

(d)       This section does not apply to an ordinary pocket knife carried in a closed position. As used in this section, "ordinary pocket knife" means a small knife, designed for carrying in a pocket or purse, that has its cutting edge and point entirely enclosed by its handle, and that may not be opened by a throwing, explosive, or spring action.

Freedom?   RIGHT.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:48:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Wow.  I think we have more laws than people.  It looks like if you're having fun in NC, you're probably breaking the law.

I've decided to cross bridges when I come to them instead of worry about them beforehand.

Being subject to UCMJ showed me that you're always guilty of SOMETHING.   It's up to you to not piss someone off to search for that something.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:29:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Basically that is what makes carrying a fixed bladed knife openly in a sheath better than a folder.

It's much easier to carry openly and have law enforcement see it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top