Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2007 4:31:41 AM EDT
Guys, I've got three beavers that need killin' asap. They are destroying stock tanks/farm ponds and the dams that hold them. I called the wildlife rescue folks and they recommended I pay a professional pest company....yea right.
I explained to the "wildlife rescue" folks that these particular beavers urgently needed rescuing as they were about to be dispatched with extreme predejuce, but they still declined. They explained to me that discharging a firearm within city limits was illegal (the beavers are not in city limits).
No closed season on beavers. Landowner may dispatch beavers legally anytime.
Beavers may NOT be legally relocated anywhere within NC...
 So, anyone got any 5.56 TAP to spare? There are three beavers in three ponds, all with summer pelts. The pelts get better in the winter, but I can't wait that long. Not a pic of the actual target, but a very good likeness. I think a 22 WMR would work well, but this is an AR15 board...nuff' said.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:39:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Is this at your B.O.L. if so put me down for the slaying.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:44:32 AM EDT
[#2]
What about a .308?????  I gotta try out the scope on mine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

OK, Sp00ky is in. Yes, this is at my BOL.
In some parts of the world (France) Beavers are considered dangerous game so we need some backup/ammo bearers. The plan is to take them out Saturday afternoon/evening then have a BBQ and the usual debauchery.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:50:49 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What about a .308?????  I gotta try out the scope on mine.

Beavers laugh at .30 caliber or above. I hear the bullet is too slow...they just duck under the water and pop up somewhere else.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, Sp00ky is in. Yes, this is at my BOL.
Beavers are considered dangerous game (in France) so we need some backup/ammo bearers. The plan is to take them out Saturday afternoon/evening then have a BBQ and the usual debauchery.

U352 can be the ammo bitch, I mean bearer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:42:15 AM EDT
[#6]
What part of NC are you located at?

My usual hit fee is $100,000 but since beavers are a lot smaller target, I may have to lower my rates.

EDIT: I have a 10/22 & a SAR1 if they get up close & personal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:52:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I am in!
Looks like I will have a few more weeks off work.
SO How far do I need to bring the TSS (Tactical Squirell Slayer) ?
I could bring the 9mm carbine
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:25:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like a job for Tanerite!!!

All I have to say is Hey Sp00ky I bet you can' Hit that "fill in tha blank" from here.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 6:33:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What part of NC are you located at?

My usual hit fee is $100,000 but since beavers are a lot smaller target, I may have to lower my rates.

EDIT: I have a 10/22 & a SAR1 if they get up close & personal.

Location (hopefully this works): maps.yahoo.com/maps_result.php?q1=newcastle+farm+road+mebane+nc
Looks like we'll have a few folks. Spartanatheart and TruckinAr: My place is about a mile in, on the left. Brown cabin, tin roof. I'll be out there Saturday AM, come out whenever.

Camp if you want. Bring whatever supplies you require. I'll have chicken, country ribs and red taters' for the bbq and a few cold beverages.

Bonfire in the evening, so if you want to roast hot dogs on a stick bring em.

Cabin floor is available for sleeping bags/small mattress's, plenty of tent space on the lawn. Propane cook stove for bacon & eggs provided.

We may end up on a walkabout or crazy off road adventure so don't wear nice clothes.

I have a small plinking range setup, pistol caliber/rim fire only. Feel free to bring carbines or pistols, please no rifle calibers. My targets can't take the abuse. (but the beavers sure will!)
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Do they just swim around in the day?  We've got a couple that keep messing up our creek crossings.  Can't set any traps, cause our little Corgis swim down there and might get snagged.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do they just swim around in the day?  We've got a couple that keep messing up our creek crossings.  Can't set any traps, cause our little Corgis swim down there and might get snagged.

CHRIS

Chris,
I've seen them mid-day but not often. Evenings and mornings is when I normally see them.
The little buggers were shy at first but now they are getting brave...it'll be their downfall.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 10:11:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The little buggers were shy at first but now they are getting brave...it'll be their downfall.

It will be their extinction.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I've got just the thing for your beaver problem!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZCH1492CzA
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 11:41:13 AM EDT
[#14]
So the actual hunting is scheduled for the evening? I work in the morning to mid afternoon so I might be able to make it.

According to www.yahoo.com's weather report, Saturday will be pretty nice.

EDIT: I've never been hunting before. We don't really have to pour animal urine on our clothes do we?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I would love to rid your land of rodents.  Alas I must check with the significant other first.  I have wanted to see you cabin, how did the boards we planed work out?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:25:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Can I come toooo ?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Spartanatheart: Beavers are not technically game animals, so it's not really hunting. More like sitting in a chair watching a pond, then shooting the first large rodent that comes to the surface.

Zippy: Your certainly welcome to come out. The boards aren't up yet, but will be before spring. Waiting on cooler weather to do the interior work...no ac.

Space: Of course you can come! Sheesh, you know don't need an invite! Your not allowed to  drive the 4 wheeler, but you can ride on the back if you dare! You aren't allergic to beavers are you?
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Seems like all the fun stuff happens out west (by out west I mean the other side of 95)
Looking forward to the AAR
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 1:12:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Spartanatheart: Beavers are not technically game animals, so it's not really hunting. More like sitting in a chair watching a pond, then shooting the first large rodent that comes to the surface.

So we don't need permits or licenses? YAY!
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I have never killed a beaver, but I have known many a good man to be killed by a beaver.

Seriously, I have seen them take a solid hit and keep on moving, so it ain't like shooting rats or something.  They are solid animals and for a humane kill, you'll have to make a good shot.  Sprayin' and prayin' will have them hit, dive under and surface elsewhere to suffer.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Seriously, I have seen them take a solid hit and keep on moving, so it ain't like shooting rats or something. They are solid animals and for a humane kill, you'll have to make a good shot. Sprayin' and prayin' will have them hit, dive under and surface elsewhere to suffer.

Would a .22LR with Federal 36 grain bullet be a sufficent cartridge or would it need a 7.62x39 125 grain SP cartridge?

I have both of those & a 12 gauge.
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmmmm...  If they are still alive sunday, give me a call.  I might be able to drive up.  I'm thinking quite and automatic.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

... Your not allowed to  drive the 4 wheeler, but you can ride on the back if you dare! You aren't allergic to beavers are you?

What, no torture testing the gear box ?
o.k., I guess I overdid it the last time  

riding on the back ?
do you mean the free-style-surfing-trailer ?
Depends who's driving...

alergic to beavers...
do you mean female beavers ?
....well, let's not go there...

anyhow, I'll bring some good bruskies, o.k. ?  

Link Posted: 10/3/2007 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I dont have any TAP, is Wolf OK? If not, I do have soft points for the Dragunov, or a Savage MKII in .22LR that is downright surgical. Speaking of Savage, where is he at? He's the expert varmintfragger around here. We could all shoot it on the count of 3!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Man I have a full weekend, but this sounds like fun. Have fun guys.
Link Posted: 10/4/2007 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm going to try and make it. I will have to check with my better half. I may bring my son and a sleeping bag.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 2:53:27 AM EDT
[#27]
For those of you who haven't been to my place yet, be aware that the facilities are minimal.
Outhouse and firepit, propane stove, No running water. Generator power. Floorspace is limited, but available. No worries. Looking forward to meeting some new folks and seeing some old friends.
Anyone hear from Francis????? We need at least one responsible adult to supervise Eric...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 6:21:18 AM EDT
[#28]
You forgot to tell them the location...

It's right where Tick-Haven and Chigger-Central meet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:28:59 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Luckily this time of year the chiggers, ticks, snakes and spiders are not out. Fall is great for camping.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Anyone hear from Francis????? We need at least one responsible adult to supervise Eric...

He has been in hiding as of lately. I've lost his phone # or I would have called him and talk to his answer machine.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He has been in hiding as of lately. I've lost his phone # or I would have called him and talk to his answer machine.

He IM'd me, said he can't make it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Luckily this time of year the chiggers, ticks, snakes and spiders are not out. Fall is great for camping.

Wish I could make this I've been wanting to see the progress of the BOC.

Chiggers and ticks are making a vicious last stand in the Charlotte area at least--had to break out the real rubbing alcohol, and some absorbine jr and chiggerex two days ago...
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm curious as to who's bringing what as far as the guns go.

I've got my 10/22, an 870 12 gauge with 18" barrell & a SAR1 in 7.62x39.

I remember that the OP stated no rifle calibers for his targets but what if I bring some empty 2 liter bottles to blast?

And of the guns I mentioned, which is the best for beavers?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'm curious as to who's bringing what as far as the guns go.

I've got my 10/22, an 870 12 gauge with 18" barrell & a SAR1 in 7.62x39.

I remember that the OP stated no rifle calibers for his targets but what if I bring some empty 2 liter bottles to blast?

And of the guns I mentioned, which is the best for beavers?

12 ga slugs. Brenneke slugs. Find them at Dick's for $2/box of five.
The rodents will laugh and chew up .22 like candy
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm heading out in a few. Bring camp chairs if you got em. I think a 5.56 will work good to dispatch the beavers, plus this is an ar15 board...it's only right.
No cell signal up there so don't plan on calling home once you get to the cabin.
There is a country store down the road a few miles, they have cigs, beer and bread.
A few of us are camping out tonight so we'll be in top form tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#36]
I have some Winchester Super X rifled HP 1oz. slugs. Will they work?
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Sure, out of a smoothbore--your barrell isn't choked, I'm assuming. I am sure someone may lend you an AR
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:41:44 AM EDT
[#38]
It's a smoothbore.

I am sure someone may lend you an AR.

I'm trying to buy a complete lower but no offers so far.

I may not get to go after all. My boss just informed me that he has "plans" for me tomorrow. I won't know if I'll get to go until the last minute.
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Slacker, you've inspired me to take some action against our beavers this weekend.

I've got an Ruger Vaquero in 44mag that hasn't been shot in a while.  Gonna sit on the bridge this evening and see if I can't pop one of them.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 3:57:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I won't be able to make it.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 4:08:28 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I won't be able to make it.

Me neither , sprung a leak on the bike, no long distant riding for me
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#42]
So who is eating Beaver tonight??? here
1st Post  -  now I do not want to hear from anyone on the Uwharrie camp out that I am not a member of the ARFcom board.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 6:58:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
So who is eating Beaver tonight??? Concidering it is all guys there this weekend.

1st Post  -  now I do not want to hear from anyone on the Uwharrie camp out that I am not a member of the ARFcom board.

Welcome to the board!!

See ya in a couple of weeks?
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
So who is eating Beaver tonight??? Concidering it is all guys there this weekend.

Welcome to the board!!

See ya in a couple of weeks?

Darn now she is on to all my secrets. Well I still have the team forums to go to if I want to talk about her.
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 7:21:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Goodtimes. Thanks for having us!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
Quoted:
hat

P.S. What took you so long? he

I have been reading over Taverndog's shoulders to keep up.hat

And for the talking about me ???? Well I guess putting it in writing is much different then in front of me???
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#48]
So how was it ?

Show us your beaver pics! (that sounds dirty)
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:58:30 AM EDT
[#49]
Any Dead Beaver?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 6:11:11 AM EDT
[#50]
The NBA aka the Beavercong is a hard enemy to kill. I did manage to burn down the village with some tp and a lighter.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top