Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2007 6:25:46 PM EDT
Defensive Concepts North Carolina will be conducting Defensive Handgun training in Albemarle, NC, on 3 March 2007.  The class will begin at 0830.  This class is an (8) hour course.  Three Instructors will be teaching the class.  

Below is a brief course description:

Defensive Handgun

Nearly all violent attacks occur at social distances.

The Defensive Handgun course will expose students to handgun manipulation, marksmanship fundamentals and tactics using minimal classroom time and extensive live fire exercises.  This course will provide concerned citizens with the skills and tactics necessary to gain a significant advantage over aggressive attackers during life-threatening encounters.

Course date:  Saturday, 3 March 2007
Tuition:         $125 per student
Class begins @ 0830 and will run for 8 hours (we will break for (1) hour for lunch)

This will be a very intensive course, so class size will be limited to (10) students.

To register for the course or to have questions about the course answered, please call me at (704)798-1560, email me, [email protected] or PM me through this forum.

Seats for this class will fill quickly!!!  We hope to see you at the class!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 12:39:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Got all the reqs for the class and Can't wait!  Looking forward to the 3rd Steve!
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 1:57:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I would absolutely love to have something like this closer to Raleigh.  The price is right, the time is right, its just the location for me that presents an issue.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You'd just have to drive a little bit more than most others.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Hotels in Albemarle are pretty cheap.
It's only about 2 hrs from Raleigh.

You know you want to. Go ahead sign up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
If it makes you feel better I've driven from Charlotte to Carthage, shot in a class all day, driven back home, went to work that night, then did the same thing the following day.

It'll make you look as hard as woodpecker lips in the eyes of the other attendees
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#6]
M4, What ever happened to you working with Tactical Reponse.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
M4, What ever happened to you working with Tactical Reponse.

I didn't leave because I wanted to.  I left because Tactical Response literally went global and I couldn't commit the time necessary to provide the world class training Tactical Response provides.  If I had devoted all the time I wanted to devote to Tactical Response, I would have short changed my family and my day job.

It was ultimately done for the benefit of my family, James Yeager and Tactical Response, each of which I respect and cherish to no end.

It's good to see you still remember, Bayer.  I trust you are doing well.

Link Posted: 2/15/2007 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would absolutely love to have something like this closer to Raleigh.  The price is right, the time is right, its just the location for me that presents an issue.

If you're in Raleigh it should take you less than 2hrs going down US1 to 24.  It'll take me at least an hour from the other side of Charlotte myself.  It's a bit of a drive but I think it will be Well worth it!
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I had the pleasure of meeting several ARFCOMers last weekend.  I'd really like to meet a few more!!!

We have a few seats remaining if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 7:44:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Can't wait till tomorrow Steve!! I'm getting anxious!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I took a Trident Concepts course in Albemarle.  Are you using that range behind the orchard, too?

Nice area, cheap hotels, good restaurants.

I'll have to plan on this for next year.
Link Posted: 3/2/2007 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, same range.

We're busy doing final preps for tomorrow's class.  If there are any straglers out there interested in attending the class, I need to know tonight!  I have (2) seats remaining.  

THIS IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2007 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Just wanted to say thanks for an awesome class today guys! That was hands down the best $125 I've spent so far this year!  I can't wait for the next class.  I'll post an AAR later but for now I need to get some sleep!
Link Posted: 3/8/2007 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey guys!  I thought I would post an AAR on the Defensive Handgun class by Defensive Concepts to better familiarize everyone with what they have to offer.  I took the class Mar 3, 2007 in Albemarle, NC.  The instructors were Paul Eudy, Steve Hawley, and Chris C.  I used a Springfield Armory XD 45acp Compact with UMC ammo and had no unintentional malfunctions all day.  Ran 550-600 rounds.  What a day!  This was a basic class but it showed a lot of the core fundamental techniques laced with some good stuff.  This was my first formal class so I don’t have much to compare it with however I felt this was a great class, I took a lot of positive things from it, and thought it was well taught, not too fast or slow and with a good atmosphere. At times you were colorfully given the material in huge chunks and then it was broken down step by step for you to absorb as much as possible.  
We were slated to start at 8:30am and we did.  This may not be all inclusive but highlights some of the stuff we were run through.  We went through the safety brief then Chris, who’s training resume is larger than most college physics books, worked us through draw stroke fundamentals both dry firing and then live firing while moving, vocalizing, and finally assessing, scanning, and tactical and emergency reloading(Wyatt).  We also covered the three types of malfunctions.  Paul, prior Airborne and Tactical Response instructor, worked us through marksmanship fundamentals as we proceeded to whittle our groups down on DEA Dots.  After lunch Steve, prior Marines and Tactical Response instructor, worked us through one hand shooting, shooting while kneeling, shooting with movement(forward, backward, and passing both on the right and the left), and shooting from retention on IPSC silhouettes.  Finally, a little over the scheduled break time, we had two end instructor led drills that brought it all together while showing you how much you learned and how much you still have to learn.  I thought the last drill especially articulated that while the tools the gave us for our toolbox work great, they may not be the tool you need for every situation and that you still need to have the right mindset of whatever it takes.
All in all I had a blast!  I can’t wait for the next class from Defensive Concepts!  They were courteous while colorful, kept everything serious but also with a light mood, and overall enjoyable.  Thanks guys!

PS: I just sent you a msg about signing up for your Shotgun Class!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 4:34:52 AM EDT
[#15]
+1 on that. The instructors brought their experience with them and left the attitude at home. Great group of guys. I liked how they built on each principle and then carried it along. There is now way I could post a review of the class, because there was so much information that was covered. I was wiped out when it was over. All the way home I kept saying, "die, die, die", I mean, "stop, stop, stop".

I would suggest to anyone taking the class that you go with a pistol/ammo combination that works well together. I changed mine the day of the class and I got alot of malfunction clearing practice.

The only thing that I wished I would have done is to have brought a secondary or back up weapon (ankle holster type).

Thanks again guys. I will see you again in the future.

Link Posted: 3/9/2007 6:37:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Here are a few pics from the class

Some shooting on the IPSCs

Students stepping off the line of attack

Some shooting with just the dominate hand

Link Posted: 3/9/2007 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Can you tell the first guy knows were the heart is?
He's a medical guy.

Thanks guys. We'd love to see you guys come back out to the shotgun class next month.
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]
When is the next handgun class? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2007 8:06:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
When is the next handgun class? Thanks.

Honestly, when do you want one?  Right now, our focus is on our Defensive Shotgun course to be held 7 April, but we will gladly schedule a Defensive Handgun class.

If you need specifics on the class or how to HOST a class, PM me or email me, [email protected].

We are completely mobile and will bring the class to virtually anywhere in NC providing we have a place/range/cow pasture to shoot.

Thanks for the interest!
Link Posted: 3/10/2007 11:02:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Looks like great training.  I hate I couldn't make it.  I would be interested in a HG course and advanced HG.  

What are your gear requirements for HG class? shotgun?

thanks
nct
Link Posted: 3/10/2007 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
?  Right now, our focus is on our Defensive Shotgun course to be held 7 April,

Steve,
sent you an email on this

Rob
Link Posted: 3/10/2007 6:16:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
?  Right now, our focus is on our Defensive Shotgun course to be held 7 April,

Steve,
sent you an email on this

Rob

Info inbound.  Hope it helps!
Link Posted: 3/10/2007 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What are your gear requirements for HG class? shotgun?

thanks
nct

For the shotgun class one of these would do well

Link Posted: 3/11/2007 7:35:50 PM EDT
[#24]
I would like to take this time to thank all the instructors from Defensive Concepts for the time and effort put into the Defensive Handgun class held in Albemarle last weekend. Not having any past experience with any formal handgun training I wasn't sure what to expect. Like most who view this forum I've read the books and watched the videos relating to this topic but can tell you nothing compares to actually experiencing it for yourself. Not a day has gone by since last weekend that I haven't reflected on something from that days instruction-like small video images in my head.
I urge anyone who seeks to be more proficient with his or her handgun to make arrangements to attend one of these training classes provided by Defensive Concepts. You, like I, will walk away thinking this was time and money well spent. For those who have completed a CCW class, the Defensive Handgun class should be without a doubt your next move.

That said, Thanks again gentlemen, and I look forward to attending the shotgun class!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top