Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 10:02:40 PM EDT
Okay, anyone know of any current actions in NC to change the law banning CCW in restaurants that serve alcohol? Any politicians that are pursuing this change? If not, anyone know who would be a good starting point? Time to get things set right.

F3

OLD TOPIC

NC Law concerning CCW in restaurants that serve alcoholic beverages.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:47:59 AM EDT
[#1]
While it wouldn't bother me to see this clause changed to mirror one like Texas, I have a feeling you'll be pissing in the wind on this one.

There are lots of places in NC where you cannot buy liquor by the drink or even have to drive out of town or one county over to buy beer.  I doubt you are gonna find many politicians that will see eye to eye with you about carrying a loaded handgun into a place where alcoholic beverages are being consumed.

FWIW, be happy that we even have concealed carry in this state.  I hope it stays around, but it's getting awfully liberal now a days!

DL3
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#2]
not to change the subject and sorry if this is considered hijacking, i noticed the other day the front door on the sams club had nothing posted that u culdnt have a weapon in the building.  

and now back to what u were saying. are they looking into changing that law or is that sumthing that ppl are looking to have changed? thanx
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
The murder of four people and wounding of seven others in August 6, 1993, in a Fayetteville, North Carolina restaurant would be a case on point, if that establishment served alcohol (not sure if it did).

If I remember correctly, it was a lone gunman. I wonder if CCW was legal at the time, if things would have gone down differently.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
This should be changed.  If I go to pizza hut/inn, applebees, and so on I should be allow to carry if Im not drinking, which I dont anyhow.  Its no different than having beer at home and then driving somewhere.  The person has to have the responsibility not to have had a drink and then carry in public.  The only think i can think of that they are worried about is a drunk starting a fight and someone pull a gun out, but thats the whole thing with the trainning class and be resposible with CCW.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't even think the police can carry where alcoholic beverages can be consumed.

After the election see who your state reps are and bug them!

What is the worst that can happen?

We stay right as we are- nothing is lost or gained.

We have nothing to lose and a lot to gain.

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This should be changed.  If I go to pizza hut/inn, applebees, and so on I should be allow to carry if Im not drinking, which I dont anyhow.  Its no different than having beer at home and then driving somewhere.  The person has to have the responsibility not to have had a drink and then carry in public.  The only think i can think of that they are worried about is a drunk starting a fight and someone pull a gun out, but thats the whole thing with the trainning class and be resposible with CCW.  

labrat i agree with ya. i didnt think at first that the law should be changed but i was only considering bars and the such. now that you mention aplebees or the like, it strikes me differently. if i were to take the family out for dinner and running some errrands i would want to have my gun. and i also dont really drink. so what would the harm be in having it with you. like you said if your training is good and you are a legal ccw holder then it wuld be like being out anywhere else. i think.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I don't even think the police can carry where alcoholic beverages can be consumed.

The last I remember was before the National Law Enforcement Carry deal was passed, but an officer or deputy can carry ANYWHERE inside his jurisdiction.  That includes banks, bars, schools, churches, hospitals, etc.  Basically anywhere means anywhere.  Outside his jurisdiction limited him to the places a regular CCW holder could carry, IIRC.

NCPatrolAR could probably give us the full skinny as I left LE in 2001.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess I needed to clairify a bit, I am only interested in restaurants that serve alcohol, not bars, clubs, ho-downs at the George Dickle refinery or any other alcohol only business.  Sorry for the confusion. If no one knows of any current patitions, bills, political actions, or other parties that are persuing this then I'll wait till the dust settles after November and try again. Many other states allow carry in restaurants that serve drinks as long as the majority of their income comes from food and not alcohol sales, so it isn't an imposible change, it just needs to be actively pursued.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Officers can carry anywhere while on duty.  Off duty they can carry anywhere provided they are not drinking.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
not to change the subject and sorry if this is considered hijacking, i noticed the other day the front door on the sams club had nothing posted that u culdnt have a weapon in the building.  

That goes against Wal-Mart's official corporate policy...

Which Sam's?  I haven't noticed it in Winston nor Greensboro.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Officers can carry anywhere while on duty.  Off duty they can carry anywhere provided they are not drinking.

-REAPER2502

What he said....it's a different statute that applies to off duty LEO's than applies to CCW holders. And, now LEO's can carry concealed in any state/district as well.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 8:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-REAPER2502

What he said....it's a different statute that applies to off duty LEO's than applies to CCW holders. And, now LEO's can carry concealed in any state/district as well.

We have more hoops to jump through in order to carry offduty. There are a fair number of LEOs that also have CCH permits  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:14:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Per Creators Request
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top