Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/22/2002 7:37:22 PM EDT
Hailing from Raleigh, where's everyone from?

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 5:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Indian Trail, NC
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Statesville NC
        FREE
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Wilmington, NC
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I just moved up to Raleigh from Wilmington.  I miss it already.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Wilson!
Link Posted: 12/24/2002 9:32:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Lexington-NC

GLOCK23
Link Posted: 12/25/2002 7:41:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I just moved down here from Jacksonville a few months ago.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Fayetteville, NC. I've been here way to long though.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Tabor City, NC!  I just 25 mins from N. Myrtle Beach SC. and just over an hour from Wilmington, NC.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in Raleigh too.  Well, my house is in Garner, but I work in Raleigh.  Where do you shoot REAPER2502?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:49:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Spindale, NC. Just east of Asheville.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Clyde, just west of Asheville
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 1:58:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Fayetteville.  

P38, a week here is too long.

damn I miss Asheville, but not the liberals that live there.

-HS
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Greensboro here!
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#15]
SR15,

I've only been here in Raleigh for about 3 months.  Haven't found a place to shoot here in town.  Work keeps me pretty busy.  I've been to Davi's the local shop, but I am not a big fan of indoor ranges.  When I lived in Wilmington I had at least 6-8 places to go and shoot.  Now, I've been going down to Moore County and shooting and the club my pop belongs to.  I need to get out of Raleigh and back to Wilmington!!!

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 10:21:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
SR15,

I've only been here in Raleigh for about 3 months.  

you're lucky.  I've been here 7 years.

Haven't found a place to shoot here in town.  

you won't.

Work keeps me pretty busy.

me too.

I've been to Davi's the local shop, but I am not a big fan of indoor ranges.

neither am I.  Personal Defence and Handgun Safety on Tryon Rd. is a better place than Davi's.  They've got an indoor range as well, and the staff is much more friendly.  I've got some funny stories about Davi's and my LEGP's.  By far the best gun shop in the area is Ed's Gun Shop, in Vass.  Vass is just north of Southern Pines on US 1.  He's on US 1 and is worth the trip from Raleigh.  He's always got a few tables at the gun show at the fairgrounds too.

When I lived in Wilmington I had at least 6-8 places to go and shoot.  Now, I've been going down to Moore County and shooting and the club my pop belongs to.  I need to get out of Raleigh and back to Wilmington!!!

you seem to be as happy with Raleigh as I am.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 12:27:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Greensboro for the last 18 months.  Will probably stay.
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#18]
thomasville
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Wilmington
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
SR15,

I've only been here in Raleigh for about 3 months.  Haven't found a place to shoot here in town.  Work keeps me pretty busy.  I've been to Davi's the local shop, but I am not a big fan of indoor ranges.  When I lived in Wilmington I had at least 6-8 places to go and shoot.  Now, I've been going down to Moore County and shooting and the club my pop belongs to.  I need to get out of Raleigh and back to Wilmington!!!

-REAPER2502

What outdoor ranges did you go to in Wilmington?  I have been here for a year and the only outdoor range I know of is Ye Olde Gun Club near Southport.  Where else is there?  Please help.

Thanks
dolphin72
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#21]
SR15,

I know Ed's Gun Shop!!  My father lives in Southern Pines and we frequent his shop when I go down there.  Ed is a friend of a friend of our family.  I met him a couple of months ago before a rally for Jim Schnider at the Moore County Wildlife Club.  What a great guy.  I always take Route 1 down to Southern Pines.  Yes, Raleigh sucks!  I'm originally from Durham and had spent the past 10 years in Wilmington....until for some stupid reason I wanted to come back to this area!!!  If my 'evil' plan comes together, I'll be back in Wilmington by the end of '03!!!

Dolphin,

You might want to try Black River over in Brunswick County.  There is also Buccaneer but it's close to impossible to get in there.  I did (and still do) most of my shooting down there on private property.  We are shooting down there at the end of January as a matter of fact, on some private property about 10 mins north of Wilmington.  The owner is particular about who he allows out on the property so we can't bring any guests or I'd invite you along.  If we go out on any plots where we can bring someone along I'll let you know and you can come shoot with us.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 12/27/2002 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Dolphin,

I almost forgot.  Try the range in Kelly NC.  I can't remember the phone number but it is owner by a doctor with the last name Anderson.  Super cool and they have a lot of land.  If I can find the phone number I'll post it.  Go to Jim's Pawn and Gun and they should have the fellow's card on the counter top by the register.  That's how we found out about them.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 6:49:03 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Dolphin,

I almost forgot.  Try the range in Kelly NC.  I can't remember the phone number but it is owner by a doctor with the last name Anderson.  Super cool and they have a lot of land.  If I can find the phone number I'll post it.  Go to Jim's Pawn and Gun and they should have the fellow's card on the counter top by the register.  That's how we found out about them.

-REAPER2502

Reaper2502

Thanks,
I am going to Jim's Pawn & Guns today to see if they have any after Christmas sales.  I'll check the counter for range info.  Could the name of the range your thinking of be Kelly's Sportsman Club?  I just found their addres online.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 7:15:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Between Winston-Salem and Mayberry.  Go north on 52 out of WS, take a left just after the big stone titty......
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Lived on Fort Bragg twice ('85-'89, '96-'00), and as noted in my discussion thread, will be back there in July, 2003, for at least four years.

Edited to add:  Plans are now looking like I'll be at Bragg for a year, then retiring from the military and heading back to Las Vegas, NV.

Chris
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 2:12:16 PM EDT
[#26]
You triad folks ever get down to Riverside? Good crew (notice I said crew) down there. Just don't let em give you any grief about your black guns. They seem to think they're underpowered. Even their popup target machines are 30 cal bigots.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Greensboro
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#28]
There is a decent 100 meter range, its ran by a couple of ex military types, its called range-1.com/, I shoot there more than anywhere else. It may not be the best range around but I like it, and the fees are reasonable. It is about forty five minute drive from Raleigh or Durham on a saturday morning. Plus you don't have to worry about people turning thier nose up at evil black rifles (unless maybe it is a Hesse).
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Dolphin,

That's the place!!!  Last time I was out there they still hadn't finished the rifle range.   It was just a couple of berms with targets and no shooting pad.  The guys up there are really cool.  Used to be it was $5 to shoot all day long.  They also have a decent trap and skeet area.  I used to live right behind Jim's Pawn and Gun.  They are pretty good guys to deal with.  At first they might seem a little stand offish but once they realize that you're cool, they'll warm up to you relatively fast.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 4:53:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Lived around Fayetteville for almost 30 years,know it like the back of my hand. Don`t mind driving for parts either. Glad to know you guys!
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 2:16:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Springfield, SC... Near Orangeburg

The middle of somewhere that nobody knows

Patrick
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Gastonia NC  Here. Just west of Charlotte.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Springfield, SC... Near Orangeburg

The middle of somewhere that nobody knows

Patrick

Hey, this is a North Carolina thread! Come on up here, you are welcome anytime.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#34]
I would have never guessed this many folks were from NC.  Maybe time to organize an NC shoot?

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:22:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Dolphin72,

You should check out the Ant Hill Shooting Club.  They have a range on Hwy. 211 about 4 to 6 miles outside of Southport, near the Midway Rd. intersection.  They are a USPSA affiliated club, so they have a monthly pistol match.  The match is held on the 3rd Sunday of the month. (Shooting begins at noon.)  Recently, they have started having 3-gun matches too!  They will be held in months that have a 5th Sunday.  The last 3-gun match was just last Sunday. (12/29/2002)

Here are some pictures that I took at the 3-gun match.

*** Well, that didn't work!  Anybody know of a good picture hosting site!***

Try this link.

www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4290908791

You should come to one of the monthly matches and look the range over.  Altho, you have to be a member to use the range, you don't have to be one to shoot in one of the monthly matches.  If you like the range, you should talk to either Joe Justice or Tim Timberlake for membership information.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 7:20:31 PM EDT
[#36]
what is the closest range to greensboro to shot at?
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 10:36:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Hanau - depends on what you want. There is at least one indoor handgun range in Greensboro, which I can't remember - but I studiously avoid all indoor ranges anyway. (Expensive and they tend not to allow rifle calibers. In addition - they tend to just be plain more uppity about things like black rifles and such. Sometimes I think handgun only shooters are just as bad as the $10k shotgun snobs when it comes to gun politics.)

Durham Rifle and Pistol Club is actually outside of Mebane, not Durham. They have a rifle range to 300 yards, covered pistol range,  a short range small area they call the "action pit" which is where most folks practice defensive handgun stuff. My biggest gripe about the facilities is there is no place to shoot prone under 100 yards. (I like to be able to practice prone at 25 yards because you can get a lot more shooting in when you don't have to walk 300 yards to paste targets.)

Riverside Gun Club is in Ramseur. They have a rifle range to 500 yards, plus a 125 yard range for handgun, rimfire, blackpowder, etc.. that has some plates and target berms at various ranges. They're a little more expensive. The club president is a little short on people skills and some folks find him hard to deal with - but it's a good crew that shows up for the events.

Both clubs are CMP affiliates and hold regular high power matches. Match fees are lower at Riverside.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:25:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Kings Mountain - Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave!

Did some "time" at Ft. Bragg also, back in the late 60's.

Rambosky
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Hyjack time!

Have you guy's checked out the "Brother in need "  thread in general discussions forum?  If not, please do. It concerns a guy up in Mt. Airey.

I wrote JB&B concerning the story, but I doubt they will act on it until more people send in some email.   Read the thread, and if you feel up to it, write JB&B. The guy, Jeremy, doesn't want $. But, the fella needs help.

I trust that his cause is true. His physical address is posted: and son, he and his friends know damn well if his cause is bogus, there are plenty of southerners that will find time for a road trip to jerk his ass in line.  

</end hyjack>

-HS
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Indoor range in G-boro is "Calibers".
I believe there is one on HWY-49 near Burlington called "Randys".
GLOCK23
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Indoor range in G-boro is "Calibers".
I believe there is one on HWY-49 near Burlington called "Randys".
GLOCK23

It's in Bellemont. If you head down 49 looking for it expecting it to be just outside of Burlington you'll be scratching your head thinking you're lost for quite some time.

It was called "Handgunners" a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 1/2/2003 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Charlotte here...
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#43]
YES,
Charlotte is represented.

Link Posted: 1/24/2003 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Nashville, NC.  Here's some of the friends that live with me.

PS...There's a fun show in Greensboro starting Feb. 1.  I'm going to try to be there but my Mom's birthday might keep me from it.  We'll just see.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/6/2003 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Just moved from durham to weddington just out side of charlotte. Nowhere to shoot[>(]
Link Posted: 2/7/2003 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Statesville, NC
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 10:59:08 AM EDT
[#47]

Hickory NC - between Charlotte and Asheville.  

STILL can't find a place to shoot!

-Dave

Link Posted: 2/18/2003 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Hickory NC - between Charlotte and Asheville.  

STILL can't find a place to shoot!

-Dave

If your up for a trip theres a place by Statesville called Shooters. Its Hwy 21 north 4 miles off I-77. Its at Allison's woods if you know where that is. Its mainly a place for skeet shooting but they also have a 300 yard rifle range and I think 50 or 25 yard pistol range. The pistol and rifle range is for members only and the clays are open to the public. I think member ship is $300 a year but you get discounts on ammo and every thing in there store. And unlimited time on the pistol and rifle range and the skeet games prices are cut in half. And I'm not sure i lost my paper work but I think if you buy a firearm and need a FFL to recive it for you if your a member they will do it free. If you wanna give them a call its 704-546-5400 I think they allow almost any rifles and pistols but no full autos
Link Posted: 2/18/2003 2:52:29 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

If your up for a trip theres a place by Statesville called Shooters.

Great - thanks for the info, I will check them out.  Statesville is only about a half hour, which is better than the 2 hour drive to a friends cabin in VA which is the only other place I know I can shoot.

Thanks.
-Dave

Link Posted: 2/18/2003 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Wake county. Ha, no city taxes. First post to sight. Great place to learn . Lost My Pre ban colt to my first kid in 1993. Momma just let me get a new toy ;). Bushmaster.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top