Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 4:10:33 PM EDT
In light of the recently imposed "No Open Profanity" rule, I bring you some excerpts from a thread in another Hometown Forum....

Quoted:
Oh, we get regular requests/demands to have the F-word banned too. The compromise reached was to not allow it in thread titles.

Quoted:
%#%^# it. I can see it truly is a waste of time to piss around here. The part I left quoted above is exactly our point. Show me where I said, implied, or even hinted that I "want to ban every word that offends someone." You are making ^#$^%$ up, reading things that aren't there, and then ranting about something that exists only in your own mind.

Who made that gosh darn rule, anyways?  Maybe Staff can say "$%$#@" and "%^&$^&$", but not us peons?  I doubt that's the case.

Might as well add "No conversation in anything but English" since we can't have a little fun and run amok in morse code every once in awhile.

Edit-language-u352
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Karl,.....Se' habla Espan~ol?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:07:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Cuidadoso, hermano.

Oh, compré ese marlin 444 que Bob tenía en la exhibición.

¡Dulce!!!

ETA:   .-- ----- ----- -  

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Pasando que dinero ganado duro, ¿hey? ¡Eso es un arma de fuego de hombres a propio! Acabo de conseguir librado de ese "niño híbrido" que le dije alrededor previamente. Negociado le para un Glock 19. El ir a tomarlo en lunes de Bob después del trabajo. Necesitamos conseguir Josh para arriba para algún tequila y conseguir quizá su mente de sus problemas por algunas horas, ¿el ya no piensa?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Remember that shot up gas grill tank in the back of my truck?  Yesterday, Josh and I launched it with 8 pounds of home brew tannerite.  Never did find it, and the blast blew the manhole cover it was leaning against about 20 feet.  Also shredded a kitchen sink with a 20 oz coke bottle full.

You would like "my" range.  It's on 50 acres of "Do whatever you want" land.  I've set up a 300 yard 22-250 range on it.  The redneck bench is one of Pike's discarded high line spools.  Just the right height, as long as I don't forget my lawn chair and have to sit on a cooler or a stack of ammo boxes.

Oh, that was supposed to be in barely passable Spanish, wasn't it?

ETA:  Congrats on the G19.  I picked up a 21 not too long ago.  We need to go see which one we can KB first.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 3:43:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:00:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
It's not really big deal for us adults.  Grow up some.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#8]
If you must resort to the crude, unintelligent type of language that construction workers use then you need to rethink who you are.  I don't always suceed but I do try to watch my language.  Just by not using profanity people will see that you are smarter and more cultured than those who feel that coarse language is their only resort.  Now, I don't want anyone to take this personally.  This is directed towards the world as a whole.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#9]
So, can we get a list of the banned words, and a list of ok replacements?

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 7:41:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you must resort to the crude, unintelligent type of language that construction workers use then you need to rethink who you are.  I don't always suceed but I do try to watch my language.  Just by not using profanity people will see that you are smarter and more cultured than those who feel that coarse language is their only resort.  Now, I don't want anyone to take this personally.  This is directed towards the world as a whole.  

jdlatham,
This was NOT a good post!
You say that a const. worker is less than you are? Come on!
Hipocritical post should be banned
You put all laborers in a class of "no class" really impressive
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:55:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Foul language doesn't bother me one f*cking bit. How's that?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#12]
    I really don't care one way or the other about this issue. I can communicate my thoughts just as well with or without the coarse language. U352 does a very good job on our hometown forum and doesn't miss much. As long as this is enforced equally, without exemption, then no problems. I don't think that a person's words always define what's inside of them. Reads Integrity. Actions often DO speak louder than words. And I don't buy in to this construction worker = low class B.S. I'd much rather have a laborer/working person as a friend than one who doesn't know the value of a honest-earned dollar or a true friend.
    I have friends on this forum who I enjoy communicating with. They tend to be a little "edgy" with their choice of language, but they're still the kind of people I'm happy to call  my friends. In my mind, our society continues to enforce more and more restriction upon our daily lives. It seems no matter what you do or say these days, somebody gets offended, somehow, someway. That's just what happens when opinions are shared publicly. So what's more important? The free flow of communication or somebodys delicate psyche?

'Cheese
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#13]
This low rent, can't have fun once in awhile cause it's a waste of bandwidth, scumbag electrician says "gosh darn it, I think I'll grow a set, so I can be smarter and more cultured than others".  

That's so pathetic, it's laughable.

Edit-Language-u352
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't really mind "foul" language that much but I can understand those that don't like it.  I work in construction and hear it constantly.  I really do believe it's because their maturity level stops somewhere in the teen yrs.  It must be something in the water.  It's pretty much universal.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Most Carolina members don't care one way or another, some like it and about five

What the f....

Oh, you weren't talking about me, specifically

Any of you I have met know I curse like a seasick sailor, and if you don't like it, that's your problem.  However, this is NOT my house and as a guest here I will certainly abide by its rules.  I can hold my tongue (which is saying a lot), in the spirit of good discussion
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#17]

blankity blank blank, and blank it all to blank blank
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:05:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yeah, what he said!  

OK, girls, I promise to play nice in here.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, what he said!  

OK, girls, I promise to play nice in here.

Feel better now?  

CHRIS
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:30:17 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That was not nice, you hurt my feelings!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:55:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Well $#i^!  Sailor is my native language.  I guess I'll have to watch my mouth.  I can do it though.  I've learned to spend my days asking people to "swish and spit" and telling them "it's OK to swallow that," without giggling.    
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
'and verily I say unto all foul-mouthed heathen to depart and BEGONE!!! Can I get an Amen?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Only the government can censor.  In all other cases you have the right to be heard and the right not to be heard.  You dont have the right to be heard using other people's resources.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top