Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 12:16:28 PM EDT
SSI is shooting sports Inc,  a range up by Louisburg just off 401N.
I invited people 3 or 4 times last year, time to invite again.  

I can host 3 of  you if interested.  Looks like rain for Saturday according to WRAL, but Sunday looks
good.

Must have eye and hearing protection, good range safety practices.

If you're in Cary area we can meet there around 9a.m then if you're in north Raleigh area, we can meet you up on 401N along the way
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:01:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Soounds great.  Unless something comes up I should be able to go.  I havnt been there before.  Thanks for the invite.

O any problem with Suppressors there?

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Soounds great.  Unless something comes up I should be able to go.  I havnt been there before.  Thanks for the invite.

O any problem with Suppressors there?

No problem, full auto and class 3 are OK.

Range is an outdoor range, no facilities.   You basically drive up to the range you want, set up, and start shooting.

There's a 100 yd range with 3 stations that's covered, enough spaces for 10 more uncovered spaces, and 5 more pits.  The first 2 pits are about 20 yards each, the other about 40, then 2 more about 50-60 yards each.  It's first come first serve for each of the pits, except for the 100 yd rifle range which isn't a pit.  I'm hoping to get one of the 50 or 60 yard pits.

Come Friday evening whoever plans on going we'll coordinate here, swap cell phone numbers, last minute meeting spots, etc.

Here's a couple shots from last year from one of the 50 yard pits:

There's  no range fees involved, as a guest there'll be none

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I would really love to go, but I am married to roadside duty this week.  Reserve me a spot for next time!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would really love to go, but I am married to roadside duty this week.  Reserve me a spot for next time!

Spot reserved!  I was kind of hoping you can make it after all your Davi's Indoor Range experiences
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:45:56 AM EDT
[#5]
I would love to go if you still have an open spot.  I  shot with some friends a few years ago at SSI and I remember it being a very nice range.  I'm going to shoot in a HP match next weekend, and it would be great if I had some time at SSI to sight in my A2 upper.  I'm up in N. Raleigh so I could meet you off Capital or 401.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would love to go if you still have an open spot.  I  shot with some friends a few years ago at SSI and I remember it being a very nice range.  I'm going to shoot in a HP match next weekend, and it would be great if I had some time at SSI to sight in my A2 upper.  I'm up in N. Raleigh so I could meet you off Capital or 401.

Thanks

You're number 2 , 1 more slot open.

ETA: You know where the gas station is at NC 96 and NC 401North?  It's about 4 miles past Rolesville on 401N.  Thinking meeting there at 9:45am, people closer to Crossroads in Cary will meet at 9:00 then head out towards SSI, stop by and join up with the 401N crowd
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a nice outdoor range.  Is it something you own or a private membership where you get to bring guests so many time a year?

I'd put my bid in but already have an IDPA match on Sunday.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:51:19 AM EDT
[#8]
You're number 2 , 1 more slot open.

ETA: You know where the gas station is at NC 96 and NC 401North?  It's about 4 miles past Rolesville on 401N.  Thinking meeting there at 9:45am, people closer to Crossroads in Cary will meet at 9:00 then head out towards SSI, stop by and join up with the 401N crowd
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah - I know where that intersection is...I'll plan to meet you there at 9:45.  Also, I'll send you
and email with my contact info and mobile number.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:10:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Looks like a nice outdoor range.  Is it something you own or a private membership where you get to bring guests so many time a year?

I'd put my bid in but already have an IDPA match on Sunday.

Thanks.

I wish I owned it, but it's a private club, you join, pay your dues and you get 365 days a year access, 9a.m. till sunset to shoot.  You can invite guests. Range is self policed, we'll have to act as our own range officers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:31:51 AM EDT
[#10]
how far is the range from durham
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
how far is the range from durham

google maps for Louisburg NC, it's 25 north of the Beltline in Raleigh up on 401N, about 12 miles from Rolesville up on 401N
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I will take up your offer next time.  I had to send my M4 back to mafr because sighting problems and won't get it back until next week, and I don't have any other rifle.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:36:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool, I will be there Sunday morning with the following
AR w/ SWR Specwar 2
P22 and Ruger Mk2 w/ Gem Tech Outback 2
HK MK23 w/ CCF Impuls IIa
Johns Guns Ruger 77/44 w/ Integral Suppressor
Sig 226
Poly Tech AK

Going to be fun If I get pulled over

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#14]
If you have an opening, count me in! That is a great place to shoot!  I got the van (I sold out) so I can drive if need be.  Assault rifler, I would be glad to meet you in Cary, or we can meet at my place, which is right close to the intersection of lake wheeler and tryon.  If the third spot is open, count me in!  And I have that book I promised to loan you last year.  Let me know!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:50:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you have an opening, count me in! That is a great place to shoot!  I got the van (I sold out) so I can drive if need be.  Assault rifler, I would be glad to meet you in Cary, or we can meet at my place, which is right close to the intersection of lake wheeler and tryon.  If the third spot is open, count me in!  And I have that book I promised to loan you last year.  Let me know!

You're 3.  Let's meet at Cary Crossroads at 8:50, then we'll drive up to 96/401 and hook up with labrat and 590A1.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:57:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:09:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hope you guys don't have too much fun. Post some pix and burn a couple stogies for me.

ETA: And make sure AssaultRifler has oven mits on, his hands are "sensitive"

I only wear the mits when the forearm on my AK bursts into flames
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:51:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Targets:  enviromental friendly type stuff:  beer cans, coke cans, food cans, plastic drink containers, blocks of wood, bowling pins, stuff that can be cleaned up easily.  I usually just bring drink cans.

Clay pigeons are great but just last one shot.  

No tannerite, paint cans, glass etc.

Bring your own paper targets if sighting in a rifle and cardboard backing, and target holder if you got one, sometimes they have them at the range but they're shot up.

I have that big blue tarp for catching brass.

At least 2 of you want to sight in their rifles, so I propose grabbing one of the pits, sight them in at close range, then we can move to the 100 yard range afterwards.  We'll do whatever you all want.  No one really shoots handguns at the 100 yard rifle range so lets do the pit first, then we can finish sighting in at the 100 yarder
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks sounds great!!!!!  I can't wait!!!!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#20]
all set!

infoscout and I will meet labrat and 590A1 at the 96/401 gas station at 9:45, you all have my cell phone number.  I'll bring a semi AK and a couple AR15's and oven mits in case my AK catches fire again

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm a member and will stop by to say hello tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm a member and will stop by to say hello tomorrow morning.

I met you out there once or twice and at the Raleigh show once.  We'll look for you.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Great to meet all of you today. Absolutely perfect day to be outside. Now I want a suppressor even if I have to move out of  Wake County to get it!

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:04:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks to 590A1, infoscout, LeeF, labrat454, deuce03 - great to hook up with you all!

Here's some random pics:

Looking down range at the preferred 50 yard pit, the TIB (tactical ironing board) is in service!

Some of the toys today:

There's  can or 4 here somewhere!

Resetting targets which were beer cans, pieces of wood, some hard disk drives, other stuff:

At the 50 yd berm looking back towards the firing positions:

After the 50 yd berm shooting session, we moved to the 200 yard range and popped some bullseyes!

This is the target end of the 200 yd range looking back at the shooting positions

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks again for the invite AssaultRifler - I enjoyed meeting and busting some targets with all you
guys.   That 200 yard range is a hoot...hug.gif
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#26]
how much does membership cost there?
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
how much does membership cost there?

from http://www.dcwc.net/rangeinf.html, out of date data, range membership is $160 a year not $140:

Shooting Sports  Incorporated  (SSI)

Shooting Ranges:
          1 ea shotgun (hand trap)
          2 ea. 25 yard pistol range (pit)
          1 ea. 50 yard pistol  / rifle range (lowest pit)
          1 combo  rifle / pistol range to 200 yards (must close 100 yd range to shoot at 200.)
          4 ea. covered benches and multiple position open firing line @ 100; single bench at 200

Mailing Address:
           Shooting Sports Incorporated (SSI)
           PO Box 58753
           Raleigh, NC 27658-8753

and about 11/2 miles South of Louisburg.

Directions:
          From  Raleigh, follow US 401 North towards Louisburg.
          About 100 yards north of G&B Auto Sales, (a used car lot), turn right onto E.F. Cottrell Rd.           About 1/8th  mile later turn right at the next "T" intersection onto Otis Burrows Rd.           Follow this road about about 3/4 mile. A small SSI sign is on the right at a dirt driveway,           (Sometimes it's not easy to see). Follow the dirt driveway, (observe the speed limit signs please),           through the yard, between the white house on the left and the two mobile homes on the right,           and down to the locked cattle gate.          
         (You must be an active SSI member or a guest of an active SSI member to enter the range).

Membership:
          $140 / year Associate membership (not guaranteed renewable).
          Stock holding memberships may be available.

Non-Members Information:
          Members may bring guests.

Other information:
          Bare-bones 'Place To Shoot'.
          Best to bring your own targets, cardboard backing, and perhaps even target stands          
          that do not require staking in the ground. Some wood stands may be around, but...

Class III weapons are allowed (full auto fire allowed only on pistol ranges) but the
        owner must be able to show the range safety officer the proper federal tax stamps, etc.

"Safety is our number one priority"

For more info, Inquire with Randy Young @ Young Guns in Apex.
       919-387-8393, 10 - 6 Mon through Fri. and  10 - 5 Sat.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 8:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
I enjoyed shooting with and meeting everyone today!!!!! It was a blast!!!!!   I have to say, shooting the socom was awesome, and that thing is scary accurate.  

Assaultrifler, thanks for setting up the informal shoot, and thanks to lee, labrat, 590, and deuce for hanging out on a sunday.  It was more fun than a cold beer in the summer time, and I know beer!!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks all, I had a great time.  Sorry it took a few days to post I blew out my spine and legs.  I am still hobbling (sp?) around.  I will have to find my orange plactic block and spinners for next time.  I'll also bring the C&R stuff next time for some old time bolt action shooting.  

Did anyone check out the DVD I gave you?  Do they work ok or have problems?  Thanks...

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:58:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Thanks all, I had a great time.  Sorry it took a few days to post I blew out my spine and legs.  I am still hobbling (sp?) around.  I will have to find my orange plactic block and spinners for next time.  I'll also bring the C&R stuff next time for some old time bolt action shooting.  

Did anyone check out the DVD I gave you?  Do they work ok or have problems?  Thanks...

I haven't looked at the dvd yet, I just kind of threw everything back in my gun room and everything's been sitting there since: empty mags, cleanings rods, bucket of brass, etc.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Same here Just piled it back in the room and safe. I will get to cleaning it all this weekend
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:00:19 PM EDT
[#32]
AssaultRifler,

Let me know when you are going to have space next time you head out to SSI, I would like to go again.  Thanks...

Cory
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 2:51:37 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
AssaultRifler,

Let me know when you are going to have space next time you head out to SSI, I would like to go again.  Thanks...

Cory

NP, offer to reload some 44mag on the Dillon 550B is still open too
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:58:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
AssaultRifler,

Cory

NP, offer to reload some 44mag on the Dillon 550B is still open too

Thanks, Ill take you up on it once I get the upgraded baffles.  I doubt the new baffle will change the fps much if at all but I rather get the load right for the gun after the changes.   Thanks again.

I go some more HD's that need the data destroyed on them too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top