Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 12:10:11 PM EDT
i was unaware... (but then agian i havent been shooting a real long time)... that if im driving to the place im shooting that i have to have a permit to have those unloaded gunsin my car to get to the place i shoot... i thought as far as  rifles and shotguns i didnt need a permit... i mean i went and bought them someplace and i have to transport them to my place of living so i dont really understand this.... i live in NC and my freinds mom told me this... is she jsut retarded or is what im doing risky?... i know i need a licence for handguns in NC but i ididnt think there was a problem having my rifles and shottys in my car just to go shooting... its not like they are there all the time

sorry if this all sounds stupid... BUT I LOVE MY AR AND I DONT WANT TO BE FINED OR HAVE IT TAKEN AWAY BY SOME PIG OVER MY STUPIDITY

thanks for any help

jake
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#1]
i very much appologize for the PIG insult.. im aware that there are alot of law enforcement guys on here and even tho you guys are great i was referring to a police officer that may want to be an asshole that given day...

im 20 years old abouto be 21 in july.....my freinds house that i was at is younger than me by a year or 2 and still lives with his parents.....

sorry if you dont like my abbrieviation for the term shotgun

thanks for all the help
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Your AR needs to be within plain sight of any LEO that might look in your car,provided it is not in a case.Your best bet is to not have to rely on the discretion of any officers as to what concealed means.If you were to have it simply lying in the hatch area of your 240 and the glass is tinted,you could be arrested for carrying a concealed weapon along with the great crime called "going armed to the terror of the people" that NC has.Your best bet is to spend $15 on a case and lock.If you had a pickup,it'd be entirely legal to cruise around with it in the gun rack in the back window but it's best to avoid proving that you were legally right in court.I'm not a lawyer and I no longer live in NC,but I do know of people arrested and prosecuted there on gun charges that at least to me seemed pretty spurious so it's best to play it safe - or call your local Sheriff/PD and see what they say.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Im Glad I dont live in those crazy states!

In IND  I remember I could carry my Handgun right in the court house bank etc! Never had any trouble even when I was in school  7th grade I brought my rifle in to do a report on it!

I was worried moving to FL but the laws here seem pretty good?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:02:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:25:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am not up on my NC laws, might want to ask this one in the hometown forum

Good idea. You may also want to contact the Sheriffs Office. Call during office hours and ask to speak to the legal department.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:20:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Jake,
You're friend's mom is an idiot.  She gets her information frow watching too much TV - and they NEVER get it right.

The quick easy way to check it go check the NRA's summation of NC gun law

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
mmmk  thanks for all the info guys... umm what if i drive a 240sx hatchback and i really dont have a trunk? i mean its back there and out of reach but its the same area....

im not really going to sweat it.... im sure ill be ok if they are in the back of the car... thanks for the help!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:14:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i was unaware... (but then agian i havent been shooting a real long time)... that if im driving to the place im shooting that i have to have a permit to have those unloaded gunsin my car to get to the place i shoot... i thought as far as  rifles and shotguns i didnt need a permit... i mean i went and bought them someplace and i have to transport them to my place of living so i dont really understand this.... i live in NC and my freinds mom told me this... is she jsut retarded or is what im doing risky?... i know i need a licence for handguns in NC but i ididnt think there was a problem having my rifles and shottys in my car just to go shooting... its not like they are there all the time

sorry if this all sounds stupid... BUT I LOVE MY AR AND I DONT WANT TO BE FINED OR HAVE IT TAKEN AWAY BY SOME PIG OVER MY STUPIDITY

thanks for any help

jake

How old are you?

Your friend's mom?  "taken away by some pig"?

ETA: "shottys"?

Murphy, is that you?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By boltcatch

Some states just have poorly written laws.  IIRC, in NY state a firearm is considered "loaded" if a single round of ammunition that can be fired in it is anywhere in the vehicle.

If that's the case I violated that one on every range trip. *shrug*
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I am not up on my NC laws, might want to ask this one in the hometown forum
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]
ok thanks ill do that
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:01:08 PM EDT
[#12]
states vary but if you leave them in a locking container (a trunk is good enough) and unloaded, then that should cover all bases.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:10:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I don’t know about North Carolina’s laws specifically. But as a general rule you can legally transport a firearm that you are entitled to own to a range or place of repair in the trunk of your car, provided it’s unloaded.

If you want to be really safe then remove the bolt from your AR and transport it separately, perhaps in the glove box.

Read the info at this link too.

http://www.packing.org/state/north_carolina/#statecar_law

According to it you essentially want to have the rifle unloaded and not in any place where it is readily accessible to anyone in the car.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know about long guns but its my understanding that in NC a handgun has to be in the open and not in a glove box etc. Here in SC its the opposite it has to be in a glove box etc unless you have a concealed weapons permit.
JR
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:32:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Some states just have poorly written laws.  IIRC, in NY state a firearm is considered "loaded" if a single round of ammunition that can be fired in it is anywhere in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#16]
They may have since changed it, but I read the section myself.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top