Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2006 2:07:06 PM EDT
I'm moving to the western part of the state from Raleigh in the next month.  I know Asheville is an extremely liberal town, but aside from that, can anyone give info on surrounding towns/counties?

I've checked out the other thread relating to relocating to western NC from NY, but it really didn't answer my questions.

Good hunting out that way?  Turkey season's about here....

Thanks,
Dusty
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:43:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Mount Airy is a little too far from Asheville for commute. Very close to the state line of Virginia.  But the huntings good!Hell, from time to time, I see deer, turkey, etc., walking through my yard! .
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The turkey hunting is good in Cherokee. Henderson and Transylvania Counties west of Asheville.

It's also good in Rutherford and Burke Counties to the east of Asheville.

CRC
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:49:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh c'mon, don't you want to spend some quality time with the hippies and homosexuals living it up in gay old Asheville?

I'm just kidding of course.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:40:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've live in Hendersonville (pop. 11,500) about 20 miles SE of AVL. Still conservative here. I haven't been to downtown AVL since 1968.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I spent the weekend in WNC and rented a place in Weaverville.  Interviewed for a job in Hendersonville.  Stayed the hell away from Asheville.  I talked to one obviously hippy woman who told me I shouldn't move to Hendersonville b/c "It's not like Asheville at all, it's a totally different mind set down there."  I just smiled and mentally put all my Hendersonville prospects at the top of the list. here;
Thanks for the replies.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in Weaverville, which is approximately a 10 minute drive from Asheville.  It's a smallish town of ~5000-7000 (estimating).  The area is largely conservative, much different than Asheville.  I've grown up here my entire life and really enjoy it.

Quoted:
I spent the weekend in WNC and rented a place in Weaverville.  Interviewed for a job in Hendersonville.  Stayed the hell away from Asheville.  I talked to one obviously hippy woman who told me I shouldn't move to Hendersonville b/c "It's not like Asheville at all, it's a totally different mind set down there."  I just smiled and mentally put all my Hendersonville prospects at the top of the list.

Beautiful weekend up there; didn't hear any turkeys gobbling yet.

Thanks for the replies.  

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Weaverville!  I was out helping my father build a tree stand this weekend for the next dear season, and I can tell you the turkeys are about to get active.  The damn things ate all the corn we put out for the deer in two days.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Swenis:

I'm glad to hear that, the guy I'm renting from seemed really nice and I'm looking forward to moving in the next week or two.  

Maybe we can get together for a little shooting sometime.  Are there any ranges in the area?
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#8]
I go to UNCA and live in Waynesville, and have lived in Cullowhee.

I love Waynesville. It's an excellent town, very nice, not too small and not too big.

Asheville is VERY liberal, but that's no big deal really. Most of the hippies stick to themselves. As long as you're not desperately anti-Liberal (like speaking to one would make you writhe in pain) you generally don't notice.

Haywood county is a great county to live in. It's close to Asheville for better shopping, restaurants etc, but isn't "too" city - I can shoot in my backyard.

WNC is a great place to live. I didn't like Jackson county much (not much to do), and I don't know enough about the surrounding Asheville towns in Buncombe to give an opinion.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Swenis:

I'm glad to hear that, the guy I'm renting from seemed really nice and I'm looking forward to moving in the next week or two.  

Maybe we can get together for a little shooting sometime.  Are there any ranges in the area?

As far as I know, there are no ranges in Weaverville itself.  There is a handgun range at a place called On Target, which is located right off of Sweeten Creek Road near Asheville.  I usually just shoot on my relatives' farm land, which is nice enough. :)

Quoted:
I go to UNCA and live in Waynesville, and have lived in Cullowhee.

I love Waynesville. It's an excellent town, very nice, not too small and not too big.

Asheville is VERY liberal, but that's no big deal really. Most of the hippies stick to themselves. As long as you're not desperately anti-Liberal (like speaking to one would make you writhe in pain) you generally don't notice.

Haywood county is a great county to live in. It's close to Asheville for better shopping, restaurants etc, but isn't "too" city - I can shoot in my backyard.

WNC is a great place to live. I didn't like Jackson county much (not much to do), and I don't know enough about the surrounding Asheville towns in Buncombe to give an opinion.

Well, how about that? I also go to UNCA.  Small world, huh?  I haven't met many other fellow UNCAers online.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 9:04:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Public ranges are needed west of Statesville

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Well, how about that? I also go to UNCA.  Small world, huh?  I haven't met many other fellow UNCAers online.

Wow, it is a small world. Let me know if you're ever up for some shooting
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I live in Weaverville, which is approximately a 10 minute drive from Asheville.  It's a smallish town of ~5000-7000 (estimating).  The area is largely conservative, much different than Asheville.  I've grown up here my entire life and really enjoy it.

*SNIP*

I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in Weaverville!  I was out helping my father build a tree stand this weekend for the next dear season, and I can tell you the turkeys are about to get active.  The damn things ate all the corn we put out for the deer in two days.

I grew up on Flat Creek and went to Weaverville Middle School.  Moved away before having a chance to go to North Buncombe (My freshman year was going to be the first year of the new school out near the tavern).

I wonder if we know some of the same people?  

Weaverville is a nice little town, and a Target is coming soon across the road from Sonopress.  I expect the northern end of the county to explode even more, shortly.

Dusty6, If you want small town living 15 minutes from Downtown Asheville (Let's face it, there are some good eateries there), and also want to live about 30 minutes from some stocked trout streams and a ski resort (Laurel, Wolf Laurel, and Shelton Laurel) it is perfect.  

I must warn you, however, that there are some "country" folks there that will make you shake your head.  Having said that, though, they are good people, and include a lot of my relatives.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:55:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Ajax72,

Country, I think I can handle.  I grew up in a town of less than 300 people.   Raleigh is driving me over the edge!  I know what you mean, though.  Some folks just don't seem to like people they don't know, and don't care to get to know them.  

I do a little trout fishing and a lot of camping, backpacking, and hunting, so I'm fired up about moving out that way.  

The rate of development everywhere just blows my mind, by the way.  My mom has a little place near Galax, VA, and it's getting crazy up there, too.

Member,

Sometimes I do get a little twinge when speaking with the ultra liberal.  Short conversations are ususally best!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:57:06 PM EDT
[#14]
They just broke ground on a public range in Haywood in the Lake Logan area that should be up and running within a year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They just broke ground on a public range in Haywood in the Lake Logan area that should be up and running within a year.

Do you have any more details?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you have any more details?

Thanks

Yes, please, more details!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 3:43:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I saw an article in the local paper online www.themountaineer.com but it is not in the archives yet. I think I saw it last week.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:57:56 AM EDT
[#18]
I lived for a couple years in Hendersonville...my wife and I loved it.  Close enough to Ashville, yet not too close.  A lot of things to do (nice downtown area) and real nice folks (Binion's steakhouse on four season blvd has the best steaks outside of the midwest).

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:36:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Laird O’Neill photo; The new Cold Mountain Range will allow Haywood County handloaders to test their loads.

County’s new range: Cold Mountain Rifle Range
by LAIRD O’NEILL

Special to The Mountaineer

Haywood County is getting a new rifle range. What started four years ago as a dream of local hunting rights crusader and disabled sportsman’s advocate, Wayne Smith, was made a reality March 2, when the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission allocated money for it’s construction.

Troy Carroll, President of the WNC Sportsman’s Club, said of Mr. Smith, “Our club was focused on the Lake Logan and Cold Mountain Game Lands issues. When those were resolved we turned our attention to getting a rifle range. Mr. Smith had already been on the job. The Cold Mountain Range is happening at lot sooner than any of us thought possible.”

Mr. Smith sent this letter in to the Mountaineer this week.

Dear Laird,

Just thought I would let you know I was in Raleigh March the second when the commission passed the funding for the Cold Mountain Shooting range. The amount they agreed on was sixty thousand, this will give them money to contract it if they wish or they might elect to do it themselves with or take offers from different clubs and other resources that are willing to do some on hands work. This will also give them money for shooting benches, target holders and some type of pathway for disabled shooters from the shooting pad to the target holders. From heavy support from the Pisgah High School youth shooting club the Cold Mountain Shooting range will accommodate a small trap for shooting clay's, a lot of schools are getting into this sport. We have a collage group offering to do some of the work on the wheel chair accessibility part as an educational and community project. The Walkfar Coonhunters had their monthly meeting March 7th and met with Paul Bradley head Ranger over Appalachian Forest Service district to discuss shooting range in his district. The large number that showed up just goes to show that there is a great desire for shooting ranges in every district. I would love to see every person that owns a firearm or loves to shoot get organized and form themselves a gun club. It is like one speaker said, you need to keep the youth interested and keep working for shooting ranges and not to do so sometime in the future your rights will be taken away.

Wayne Smith

One issue that was resolved was the use of shotguns at the range. Most ranges do not allow clay targets to be shot at with shotguns.

The concern is that lead shot will fall in the woods outside the catchment area and be ingested by birds and small game causing lead poisoning. The installation of a trap device will keep the flight of the clay target on a path that will allow the shot to fall in the area designed to contain it. Local school clubs compete shooting clay targets and this addition to the range will give them a place to practice without damage to the environment.

“The Commission is very pleased that we’re able to allocate $60,000 for this very popular project,” said Richard “Dick” Hamilton, executive director of the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission. “It will be a benefit to all the residents of Haywood County,” he said. “This is your sportman’s license revenue at work.”

The new range will be located about five miles from Bethel off Hwy 215 in the Queens Creek area of the Cold Mountain Game Lands.

Link Posted: 3/15/2006 7:26:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info CRC.

I'm very curious about how long it will take to finish (6 months, 8 months, 12 months, 16 months?) and what it will cost to go there?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top