Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 2:07:35 PM EDT
Long story. Location; Mount Airy, N.C. I am in the midst of gathering the parts I want to build my very first FAL. I'm not sure who made the mistake, but when I was looking on DSA's website to choose a receiver, there was no price listed. There was however, a call for pricing statement posted. I did make the call and was quoted (unbeknownst to me) the special dealer price ($325.00 +$11.00 shipping). I printed a screenshot of the receiver on their website and mailed in a PMO for the quoted price, along with my local dealer's (Bob Poplin of Gun Country) FFL copy. Around a week later, I went back on DSA's website and saw that they'd made a change and listed prices ($449.00) for their upper receivers.
Well, to shorten this long story, I called DSA and inquired about the status of my order. Stephanie told me that they had received my order, but would need my Dealer to OK the sale, since I'd be getting the receiver at his pricing. Stephanie made the call and Bob OK'd the transaction! Now tell me this, how many gundealers do you know, who would do the same thing for only a small transfer fee? Thank you Bob Poplin! I'll be buying a gun from him just because he's cool enough to help a gunfreak like me out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, Bob is the man!  I asked him about some once fired 38Special brass to reload.  He went in back and brought me a gallon size ziplock bag.  "Use what you want, bring me back the rest, and pay me for what you keep."  Hard to beat a guy like that, that's why he gets most all of my business.  Maybe that's why he treats me so good.  

What comes around goes around.  Sometimes.  

The Troll
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I got my first revolver from Bob and have bought a few more guns from him. Always been great to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Bob has went out of his way to help me with any problem,I've had over the last 18 years,from basic gun talk,to o shit what have I done.I return the favor by being a pain in the ass,hanging out breathing his air,and sitting on his spare bar stool for a hour or so a week,.......but he has never threw me out
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bob has went out of his way to help me with any problem,I've had over the last 18 years,from basic gun talk,to o shit what have I done.I return the favor by being a pain in the ass,hanging out breathing his air,and sitting on his spare bar stool for a hour or so a week,.......but he has never threw me out

Is that you Anvil?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:43:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Now Thats a Good Man to Deal with, Hats off to BOB
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:20:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Where is this Bob's? I'd like to pop in next time I'm in town. My folks live in Mt. Airy and me and the wife and kids go up there every so often to visit. I like the surplus/camping store in downtown. They have a huge variety of stuff and some good deals on MRE's.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:39:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Buddy of mine just bought a Kahr off him on Friday and he has done nothing but praise this guy as being the most helpful of any one he has talked to. We have three local gun stores but he got such great service he kept his cash till he went to Mt. Airy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't know Bob, but the dealers that I work with do that sort of thing.  It's kind of like the difference between MSRP and actual street value of guns.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Where is this Bob's? I'd like to pop in next time I'm in town. My folks live in Mt. Airy and me and the wife and kids go up there every so often to visit. I like the surplus/camping store in downtown. They have a huge variety of stuff and some good deals on MRE's.

terd,
If you're traveling 52 North, turn right where the railroad track crosses 52. Go up the hill, past the hospital, through the stoplight, past the watertower. As you top the hill you'll see the Mount Airy Fire Department on the right side of the road. Practically opposite the Fire Department (on the left hand side of the street is Hadley street. Turn left onto Hadley and it's just down the hill on the left-hand side. If I've confused you, I'll try and work out some kind of map for you.
Big_Cheese
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

terd,
If you're traveling 52 North, turn right where the railroad track crosses 52. Go up the hill, past the hospital, through the stoplight, past the watertower. As you top the hill you'll see the Mount Airy Fire Department on the right side of the road. Practically opposite the Fire Department (on the left hand side of the street is Hadley street. Turn left onto Hadley and it's just down the hill on the right hand side. If I've confused you, I'll try and work out some kind of map for you.
Big_Cheese

Thanks CHeese. That sounds easy enough. I plan to stop in next time we go to visit my folks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:53:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Pop's is a good one to deal with.  He's a character too and loves to chat.  He's good on CCW info and classes are reasonable.  He does it because he likes it.  He accuses himself of being a grouchy old fart - he's just up front about stuff.

I haven't bought anything much lately but last 2 purchases i made were thru him.  I've probably run into varmintgun and some of ya'll there and didn't know it.  If you see a guy in a white pickup with an old faded blue ball cap on its probably me.  

Not too many small dealers out there anymore.  I'd rather support a good one than throw money at a chain outlet.  

Terd, if you follow Big Cheese's directions, you'll find it.  It'll be on your right in a white building.  If you hit the traffic light across from a gas station and there's a Honda place down on your left, turn around and go back up Hadley st.  and you'll see it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Terd, I had to edit my directions. Everything I told you was correct until I got to the last detail. I meant to say Gun Country would be on the left side of Hadley street, but somehow had a brainfart (not unusual for me) and typed right instead. Sorry bout that! An industrial supply business named Currier-Withers is on the right hand side of the street, directly across from Bob's shop. Also, I thought I'd better add that he's closed on Tuesdays and I think he closes up early on Saturday afternoons as well. 1:00PM I believe.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:03:02 PM EDT
[#13]
oh crap yeah.  my bad.  your coming the other way, i know.  yep on left.  i usually come in off 89 anyway by the honda place.
sorry Big Cheese.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:18:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
oh crap yeah.  my bad.  your coming the other way, i know.  yep on left.  i usually come in off 89 anyway by the honda place.
sorry Big Cheese.  

No problemo' Mac! I figured that was the other way in that you were describing. I saw it and got to re-reading my directions and Viola! Bigtime brainfart! I'm not quite 40 yet, but I believe I'm starting to show some early signs of Alzheimer's. Day-um! So, you a Mount-Scairy local? Shoot with the boys down at the Pinnacle range any? Good bunch of men to know, even if some of them do tend to act like a bunch of fruits sometimes! Ha-ha!

Ces't Chez
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
actually i am a shoals local.  the range is just over the ridge from me - only been there a couple of times though!

last time jmzd, G-23, War Dawg and some others were there - enjoyed it.

i need to get my application filled out - they keep building around me i'll have to find somewhere to shoot.

i'll try to make the next get together.    
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for letting me know of this place. I went by there today and bought a CZ 75. Like I need another gun. I've got to get some help. LOL, Mike
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks for letting me know of this place. I went by there today and bought a CZ 75. Like I need another gun. I've got to get some help. LOL, Mike

Glad you dropped by and said "hello"! Bob is quite reasonable on his prices. Did you happen to mention seeing this thread about him?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, I mentioned I heard of his place  on AR15.com. I like small out of the way gunshops like his. The CZ I bought was a NIB 1981 with blue finish. Not real rare, but rare enough for me to buy it and stash it in the safe. Bob's a nice guy and easy to talk to. I'll stop in as I go to MT Airy every 3 months. Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top