Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 12:12:22 PM EDT
Any one seen any? This morning I was on the back porch looking over the field that borders my yard. I saw what looked like a gray dog coming up the field. The closer it got the more it looked like a yote. A couple minutes later another one came up the field taking the same path and then they got together 50 yards or so down the field. I had to do a double take since I haven't seen a yote in a long time but I swear that's what these were.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:28:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Coyotes are in every county in NC.

The first documented reproducing population was in Beaufort County, NC in 1986 although coyotes have been reported from the Great Smoky Mountains National Park in far western NC since 1983.

Supposedly a coyote was shot on the Cherokee Indian Reservation (Qualla Boundary) in 1947.

A rabid coyote attacked several people in Asheville recently.

Coyotes are everywhere now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Also Hurricane Hugo in 1989 ripped open a lot of 'fox pens' that also contained illegal coyotes which people would bring their fox dogs to chase.

Needless to say these coyotes escaped to the wild.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Also Hurricane Hugo in 1989 ripped open a lot of 'fox pens' that also contained illegal coyotes which people would bring their fox dogs to chase.

Needless to say these coyotes escaped to the wild.

Exactly what I was going to relate.  Hugo displaced a lot of wildlife in the Carolinas.  A buddy of mine has a family farm in eastern Davie County and he kills at least a couple yotes every year.  They really fuck with the deer population.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen 'em in Walkertown
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#5]
a friend shot a few here in davidson county since thanksgiving.
behind our houses.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I saw one about three weeks ago while coming home from work. It was running through my back yard.  Surprised me! Oh and thats in Yadkin county.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
A coworker killed one in Dallas.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I saw one about three weeks ago while coming home from work. It was running through my back yard.  Surprised me! Oh and thats in Yadkin county.

Where are you at in Yadkin county? I am also in Yadkin( Yadkinville). My brother thinks he saw one a few years ago on our farm in Jonesville.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Coyotes in Forsyth County is believable.  They also have them in big city areas like the Rock Creek Park area of DC a few miles from the White House now.  Maybe Big Dick Cheney will hunt them down.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#10]
i'm not too far from REELDOC and i hear them at night occaisionally about this time of year.

they are a nuisance to the deer and death to the rabbit population.  i see them hit on the roads up and down 77 and 85 alot.

good reason to keep your animals vaccinated for rabies and to carry when out stomping around in the woods, camping, fishing, etc.

they'll also interbreed with feral dogs - coy-dogs.  bigger usually.  no season on them either.  they're vermin.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I've seen one in my backyard on two separate occasions 2 years ago. My wife saw one down the road about 2 months ago.
(Belews Creek)

I thought they were common out here.

Samuel
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen 3 in the last 6 months here in Yadkin county. never had a weapon handy when I saw them either.

One of the guys from work, his father-in-law shot one near Reavis rd back in December. he had it hung up in the back yard for us to look at, Prolly weighed 45lbs.

Jason
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Heck, they have them in Winston-Salem. Ya know the Methodist Childrens Home just north of the downtown area off Reynolda? They have a small cattle farm and lost some calfs this summer to coyotes.  Had to buy a donkey to protect them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I reckon I'm gonna post some notices in the mail boxes in the neighborhood to warn folks with kids and those with dogs that they let out. Not good, not good at all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've seen 3 in the last 6 months here in Yadkin county....

Jason

So there are at least  three of us in Yadkin county? I thought I was the only one!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Seen em in Farmer and a guy i work with shot one in Westmoore
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Yup, I'm in Yadkin county I've been here since 1990.

Jason

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've seen 3 in the last 6 months here in Yadkin county....

Jason

So there are at least  three of us in Yadkin county? I thought I was the only one!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top