Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 8:28:02 AM EDT
I have a '74 romanian kit that is a little beat up on the outside but has a nice shiny bore and would make a good plinker. I however don't have the knowledge or the tools to assemble it myslef. I was looking for some one that could do the following services for me.

pull barrel
drill old rivets out of front and rear trunion
install front and rear trunions in new reciever
install barrel and barrel pin back in the trunion.

I am of course willing to pay to have this done, so let me know if you guys can help out.

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
WOW - - - that's a tall order ya got there.  Tell you what........  I'll give you $10 for your headache.

heck
Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Try Scott at DPH Arms he is my counterpart in the AK world.
Red
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:37:31 AM EDT
[#3]
How much does it usually cost having one of the bigger companies do the work mentioned above?

thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:04:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Technically, the person that does this work needs to be an FFL to build your rifle, or you have to do it yourself. Another member could help you build it, but you're the one that is supposed to do the building.

I thought if a person buys a 100% receiver then it is all good. If it were a bend it yourself deal then the guy bending it would have to be the owner. After it is bent it is considered a firearm. Then the "bender/owner" can have it built from there.
Kind of like if I had an AR lower with a box full of parts, ship it to a gunsmith, he builds it and then ships it back, all is good

What about having a 1911 built? Most gunsmiths have an FFL but I have never thought about it before
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:37:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I am too lazy to look and don't want to hijack.

An FFL is only required to sell/transfer firearms. Not to work on guns. Gunsmiths are not required to have an FFL.

Prove me wrong.

Samuel
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:59:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I. GUNSMITHS
(I1) Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms? [Back]

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer. [27 CFR 178.11]

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#i

Yet another thing I did not know.

You da man! Something good to know.

Samuel
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:58:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:33:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently had my Friend James build my Romo Kit for me, he is a Class 2 manufacturer and he lives in Dallas, NC Near Gastonia.

Mine is a 1977 Romo and its fit/Finish is excellent and it shoots Great. I'd Highly recommend him for a AK Build, the Guys on FalFiles like his work as well as his partners work who goes by the name of "Moses" on the Falfiles.

www.cmparmory.com is his web site and you can find pictures of firearms he's built, Pricing and a video clip of them test firing a Dealer sample Krink at my Range this past summerherehttp://images14.fotki.com/v209/photos/6/60416/262658/RomoAK47-vi.jpg

Jason
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:06:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey scrambld, I checked out there websit and see that a basic build is $210. I was wondering if you knew what all that included such as what services were done and if that included refinishing or not?

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]
The $210 price tag, covers everything you asked for as well as installing the wood, Gas sytem assembly, the trigger group and test firing. refinishing is roughly another $100 but if your kit is in good shape with minimal finish wear they'll do just the reciever for $30 and it'll match you kist as close as possible.

You have to supply the Kit, reciever and US complaince parts.

Give James a call or shoot them an email they'll answer any questions you have.

They are a super group of guys and they do excellent work.

Jason
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Where at in Dallas?  I live in Bessemer.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:43:53 PM EDT
[#18]
His shop is beside his house out in the country. tryin to explain where is difficult, I've been there several times but I don't know any street names or anything. it's all landmarks for me

Sorry,
Jason
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:45:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
His shop is beside his house out in the country. tryin to explain where is difficult, I've been there several times but I don't know any street names or anything. it's all landmarks for me

Sorry,
Jason

Whats the landmarks

I know Dallas pretty good, I work for the phone company and I have been every where in Gaston County.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top