Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2006 2:45:32 AM EDT
Was wondering if there was anyone here who has ever hunted Bobcat or does hunt Bobcat on a regular basis? I've been on deer hunts quite a few times but I don't know much about Bobcat. The season is almost over, and I'd like to bag one this year. Any info is appreciated on where to go in NC and what to use that kind of thing.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:27:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Go check out predatormasters.com forums. You'll find out all the information you need over there. I've been after the coyotes for about a month and haven't had any luck, and I think the bobcats are supposed to be tougher than coyotes due to how long it takes them to come to the call.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I've seen them on the Harmon Den Bear Sanctuary in Haywood County, NC but that are is closed to bobcat hunting
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's a place, though I think you need some heavy duty ammo. They are HARD to kill.

Bobcat Hunting Grounds

F3
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
oh, i thought you meant charlotte bobcats.  I mean, they're awful, but not enough to hunt...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I killed one with my uncle as a kid.  Kind of a spoof, came upon it after shooting some skeet.  Killed it with dove and quail load from my 870 (first blood).   Gave it to him as he wanted to mount it.  Not sure if he ever did though, I'll have to ask.   Anyway, I've seen tracks usually in close proximaty to streams, creeks, and marshs.  Standard predator calls may work, but have never tried.  Good luck!

-Hershey
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:39:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I spend ALOT of time in the woods in NC, in very close proximity to game lands and I've yet to see a bobcat. Matter of fact, I've never even see a track....
They are either rare or very very sneaky. Probably both.
Are they know to kill/eat Turkeys? If so, they should be common in my area. Huge rabbit population as well.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:57:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree, lived in NC all my life and never seen a bobcat.
there here but very, very few and I think there way west in the state!
Here kItty, kitty, kitty!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:32:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I've never seen one either, but I do remember a story of two brothers cutting wood when one was attacked by a rabid 'cat and the other killed it with his bare hands
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:36:41 AM EDT
[#9]
there is a truckload of them on the navy base here in charlston they have had a couple go in to peoples houses in base housing a few times

Edit-Language-u352
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:37:30 AM EDT
[#10]
they are more numerous in the western part of the state. I have come across 2, both at night crossing the road in front of my car around the Grandfather Mt. area.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
There are some around the Pilot Mountain area. I have not seen any, but a friend who hunts on some farm land just on the south side of the mountain has shot several.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:30:34 AM EDT
[#12]
So i'm thinking about pickingup a cheap savage from a local gun store, comes with scope mounts, mounting, and boresighting of a cheaper leapers 3-9x40 scope I have already for close to $200, think this will do the trick?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So i'm thinking about pickingup a cheap savage from a local gun store, comes with scope mounts, mounting, and boresighting of a cheaper leapers 3-9x40 scope I have already for close to $200, think this will do the trick?

I have, at this very moment, a feral cat in a animal trap sitting next to my trashcan that you can try it out on.

Bobcat/feral cat, what's the difference?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:01:22 AM EDT
[#14]
yeah i hear ya, i have several cats you can "practice" on.i have been hunting in wake, franklin, johnston, and several other bordering counties and have seen several. they are VERY VERY sneaky. i have seen them while deer hunting in johnston county mostly. they are like foxes in my opinion, only harder to kill.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
yeah i hear ya, i have several cats you can "practice" on.

i have been hunting in wake, franklin, johnston, and several other bordering counties and have seen several. they are VERY VERY sneaky. i have seen them while deer hunting in johnston county mostly. they are like foxes in my opinion, only harder to kill.

any specific suggestions on where i can go?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#16]
if i owned the property that i hunt on, i would let you but, thats not the case. have you tried game lands? i don't know if johnston county has any but its worth a try, also you might try getting in touch with somebody who lives dwon there that might know some locals, maybe get permission to use there land.

i'll see what i can dig up for ya.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
if i owned the property that i hunt on, i would let you but, thats not the case. have you tried game lands? i don't know if johnston county has any but its worth a try, also you might try getting in touch with somebody who lives dwon there that might know some locals, maybe get permission to use there land.

i'll see what i can dig up for ya.

no problem man, thanx for looking into it for me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Any game lands should have bobcats.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:51:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've seen them on the Harmon Den Bear Sanctuary in Haywood County, NC but that are is closed to bobcat hunting

So, have you been to Max Patch?  Beautiful area.  Spring Creek, Crab Tree and Iron Duff used to be some of my old stomping grounds.  I grew up in an area called Leicester just to the north of Asheville.  I saw several bobcats jump the road when I was driving a school bus my senior year in high school.  All my sightings were early in the morning before daylight.  That was up in the Sandy Mush area.  
I was grouse hunting with a friend one time and he shoot one with bird shot.  Strangest thing, it just walked out in front of him in broad daylight.  He had it mounted.  Still has it in his den as far as I know.  

They are around but I don't think it is a common thing to see one.

SM

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#20]
I've travelled up that way in exploring the mountains.

I hear there are still grouse and quail at Max Patch but also too many tourists.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I hear there are still grouse and quail at Max Patch but also too many tourists.

but tourists make nice trophies also
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

but tourists make nice trophies also

just ask Dick Cheney hahaha (i know it wasn't a tourist, and i'm a republican i just had to throw that in there hehehe)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:39:35 PM EDT
[#23]
i know, what the heck was up with that??? you know the anti-gun people are all over this.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

i know, what the heck was up with that??? you know the anti-gun people are all over this.

oh yeah, you know they will be.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yeah.  We always called the tourists Florons or Floridiots so you know where most of them were from.

There are still some grouse in the area but not like before.  I understand that the encroaching coyote population is hard on the grouse and the wild turkey populations.

SM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top