Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2005 11:02:12 AM EDT
In Kernersville.  I was out running errands and happened upon a license check (what's the point of a license check at 1100 am on a side road???)  I identified myself as a CCW holder and stated that I was carrying.  The cop said "awesome, have a great day" and waved me through
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#1]

I was out running errands and happened upon a license check (what's the point of a license check at 1100 am on a side road???)
- same as one at 2am.  One of the last daylight OL checks my district ran netted several stolen cars, several warrant arrests, and several stolen firearms (to include an AR)
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#2]
i'm happy to see checks anytime i see them. they're a hassle, but they're worth it to me.

when i was in highschool close to 15 years ago now a friend of mine's brother was hit by a drunk driver on the way to school at 7am. he was in a wheel chair for 2 years because of how bad it did him in. he was in a coma for about 3 months.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I was out running errands and happened upon a license check (what's the point of a license check at 1100 am on a side road???)
- same as one at 2am.  One of the last daylight OL checks my district ran netted several stolen cars, several warrant arrests, and several stolen firearms (to include an AR)

Double edged sword there...good for finding the stolen goods, bad for the fourth amendment
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:24:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Last time I checked there arent any 4th amend. violations stemming from OL checks.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never had a problem with an OLN check. If you were just on foot and they did it I could see the "papers please" flag being raised but driving is a privledge and you need to have your OLN on you to lawfully use that privledge. And NCPatrolAR is dead on, we bag a bunch of wanted folks and stolen goods from them, kinda like broken tail lights.

NCPatrolAR, you have a PM (seperate topic)
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Last time I checked there arent any 4th amend. violations stemming from OL checks.

That's certainly debatable and certainly is a point of view discussion.  I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree here

Sharps has a valid point about driving being a privelege, not a right but I see one's vehicle as an extension of their home (particularly considering the amount of time most of us spend in our vehicle) and therefore not open to search without cause.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sharps has a valid point about driving being a privelege, not a right but I see one's vehicle as an extension of their home (particularly considering the amount of time most of us spend in our vehicle) and therefore not open to search without cause.

- And your car sint being searched at an OL check without P/C occuring. Stopping, showing your OL, and driving off doesnt equal a search
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- And your car sint being searched at an OL check without P/C occuring. Stopping, showing your OL, and driving off doesnt equal a search

Again, point of view and opinion...never tested in court to the best of my knowledge, and certainly not something we need more litigation to decide.  

I figure you're probably one of the good guys NCPatrolAR, like the cop I ran across earlier today, but we don't see eye to eye on this one
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#9]
First, let me say I think license/DUI checkpoints are a bunch of crap. Right on the verge of police state tactics.
 Now, my story. Back in 1997 I was stopped at a roadblock. I had been at a small country beer joint drinking beer. This was on a hot summer Sunday. I believe I drank 3 or 4 12 ounce beers. The Trooper asked if I had been drinking and I told him yes and how much. He placed me in his car and I blew in the little white box. At this time he handcuffed me and placed me under arrest. We drove to the county jail and I blew in the big box. I blew a 5 and a 6. We went to the magistate's office and the Trooper asked  to throw the arrest papers away as I had been so cooperative. This little adventure scared me so bad that was the last day I drank any alcohol.
 The Trooper was very professional and nice. I would like to thank the NCHP for showing me the light. My life has been so much better without alcohol. I wish I had quit a lot sooner.
 Now when I have to go through a roadblock I just smile, comply and tell the LEOs thanks.

Merry Christmas ya'll and if you need a DD I'm available, Mike

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Again, point of view and opinion...never tested in court to the best of my knowledge, and certainly not something we need more litigation to decide.
- How do you view it as a search?

BTW, thanks for the compliment.  I like to view myself as one of the good guys, something that the people in GD dont seem to agree with.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

- How do you view it as a search?

BTW, thanks for the compliment.  I like to view myself as one of the good guys, something that the people in GD dont seem to agree with.

First, have you ever approached a car and not looked in the windows?  Suppose I have an SKS in the back seat and a bloody rag from wiping off the blade of a skinning knife I just cleaned a deer with.  Do you now have probable cause?  If so, why?  Vague argument possibly, but unlike Mike, I haven't given up alcohol

And, second, since I don't venture into GD, I'll formulate my opinions here
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:12:41 PM EDT
[#12]

First, have you ever approached a car and not looked in the windows? Suppose I have an SKS in the back seat and a bloody rag from wiping off the blade of a skinning knife I just cleaned a deer with. Do you now have probable cause? If so, why? Vague argument possibly, but unlike Mike, I haven't given up alcohol
- plain view doctrine.. comes from vehicles having less privacy in them due to their mobile nature
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

First, have you ever approached a car and not looked in the windows? Suppose I have an SKS in the back seat and a bloody rag from wiping off the blade of a skinning knife I just cleaned a deer with. Do you now have probable cause? If so, why? Vague argument possibly, but unlike Mike, I haven't given up alcohol
- plain view doctrine.. comes from vehicles having less privacy in them due to their mobile nature

Wouldn't be in plain view if you hadn't stopped me for no legitimate reason...we can go at this all night, I've got plenty of beer

However, I know you won't change my view, and I feel strongly that I won't sway you either...
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:51:03 AM EDT
[#14]
How do you feel this am Five?

Next time when the officer asks to see your license, tell him it's on the back of the car. I did this once, and when he asked if I and any firearms or explosives I said " yes sir, I just filled up at the Exxon on the corner. Sorry no guns though" Luckily the officer was in a good mood and suffers idiots very well.

To our LE out there- Guys stay safe this Holiday season!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 3:59:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How do you feel this am Five?

Next time when the officer asks to see your license, tell him it's on the back of the car. I did this once, and when he asked if I and any firearms or explosives I said " yes sir, I just filled up at the Exxon on the corner. Sorry no guns though" Luckily the officer was in a good mood and suffers idiots very well.

To our LE out there- Guys stay safe this Holiday season!

I'm good, thanks for asking  I am a semi-pro beer drinker, haven't had a hangover in a long while.  Well, once recently but that was as much from lack of sleep as it was alcohol...u352 remembers it I'm sure
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:11:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey Five, where you on Shields road? A Coworker of mine was on a test drive there and got busted for an expired license.  I work at the Ford dealer on the corner there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:53:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah,  I left the DMV there across from your lot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't even get me started.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top