Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 6:39:15 PM EDT
EBAY GRINCH STEALS CHRISTMAS
Fraudulent auctions for electronics total more than $100,000

Dec. 22, 2005 – The FBI and Secret Service, along with immigration services and law enforcement officials across the country, are on the look out for two internet scam artists who are on the run.

Hundreds of people across the country are out hundreds of dollars after falling victim to one of the most wide-spread and extensive scams in online auction history.

In the past month, more than 400 eBay shoppers won auctions for iPods, digital cameras and other electronic equipment presented by Alisher Mardonov – eBay user id alisher71. This seller was an eBay certified Power Seller – the mark of “high-quality seller.” Alisher71 was also a “green star” on eBay and had received more than 387 positive feedbacks since becoming a registered user with eBay in December of 2003.

With this reassurance from eBay, winning bidders sent money orders ranging from $150-$500 to Mardonov for their Christmas presents. Three weeks later and just days away from Christmas, these buyers have still not received their gifts. Mardonov has stopped returning emails and phone calls. It’s a real-life story of the grinch stealing Christmas.

As buyers realized their money was gone, they began leaving negative feedback for alisher71. Since Dec. 16, more than 100 negative feedbacks have been posted. On Monday, Dec. 19, eBay sent an email to buyers informing them that alisher71 is “no longer a registered user” within the eBay community. The email warned buyers to not send payment to the user. Unfortunately, it was too late. Since alisher71’s account has been terminated, negative feedback can no longer be left. Countless other victims are now cut off from posting their experiences.

eBay has refused to help the victims of this fraud. The online auction site will do nothing further, stating that alisher71 has 10 days to respond to claims. Yet his account has been terminated and he has no way to respond.

Because of their frustration, victims of this fraud have joined together. Police in Naples, FL – where Mardonov resides – have been contacted and a detective has been assigned to the case. In addition, victims are filing cyber fraud complaints with the FBI and their local authorities. A blog site has been started where victims can share their experience and progress on the matter. The blog can be accessed at : www.alischersucks.blogspot.com.

Because of this scam, Christmas has been ruined for hundreds of people around the country.

It appears that if anything is posted on the ebay discussion board about alisher71- it would be deleted - hence the website listed above.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:02:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:02:31 AM EDT
[#2]
thought ebay and paypal had a policy to refund the money minus the first $25.

feedback
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:51:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm an ebay member and let me clarify something.
A power seller is basically nothing more than a seller who makes an incredible volume of sales.
If you go on the site, you'll see that many of them have low feedback rates.
The rate is supposed to be near 100%, but many fall well below that due to underhanded tactics, lousy merchandise, false advertising, etc...
I got burned by one myself until I learned.

It's a shame since I've been with ebay for several years and I've noticed that many of these low lifes have taken over the place.
Many of them are foreigners I might add and they don't care about their rate of positive feedback as long as they sell all the broken garbage they can get their hands on.

Ebay is fun, but if you're buying or selling, be aware of that feedback and even take the time to read the feedback left for said seller or buyer.
it can save you a headache down the line.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I hate ebay. I just buy direct
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top