User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2005 3:35:49 AM EDT
http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/377377.html

Women encouraged to take up weapons weekly - Raleigh, NC

Jennifer Brevorka, Staff Writer

Sure, as a woman in the Triangle, one can look for fun at traditional spots such as bars, sports arenas or concert halls. But what if you yearn for something new? Something adventurous? Something with a bang?

If this is the case, the answer may lie within the black, rubber-lined lanes of Davi's Indoor Range & Shooting Sports. Because at Davi's, there is a weekly celebration of femininity and firearms.

On Ladies' Day, Tuesdays, women receive free handgun rentals and discounted ammunition and lane rentals. Add in free range instruction, and this beats anything Glenwood South can offer.

But before a woman can squeeze a trigger or watch a shell casing drop to the floor, she must first pass the range review -- a test that quizzes Dale Evans wannabes on firearm safety.

"What we're about is educating the public," said Randy Lay, the company's president. "We're definitely about firearm safety."

Signs indicate what ear and eye protection must be worn. In- depth background checks are performed before customers can buy a firearm. At the range, a poster showing an attractive brunette with a rifle and a red apple warns shooters to wash their hands before eating lest any lead get on hands or food.

On a recent Tuesday night, a few customers roamed aisles while clerks in black shirts stood behind counters. In the back, at the shooting range, two men fired handguns at paper targets.

Other than a few female clerks, there was not a woman in sight.

But shortly before 7 p.m., a group of women in their 20s arrived, and Ladies' Day began to live up to its name.

The five friends came to the range because they thought it would be fun, said Meredith Ruark, a member of the group. Soon after arriving, the women sat near vending machines and posters of firearms while working on the safety quiz.

The group emerged about 7:30 p.m. and learned they had passed the quiz. But it was too late to hit the range; customers must arrive by 7 p.m. to shoot.

So they received a quick lesson on how to shoot a semiautomatic handgun safely, looked at rental guns and received a pass for a free lane rental.

They left without even getting to hear the pop of a gunshot. But, the women pledged, they'd be back.

-------------

What's with black shirts and gun store employees?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:25:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe that's the squinty eyed bastard that I want to smack in the mouth.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The newspaper published their names under the photo in the printed version.  Maybe we should invite them to an ARFCOM shoot?  Then  they'd get to "hear the pop of a gunshot"!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:54:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

LOL!!! I'm sure it is!

My wife worked at Davi's for a couple weeks..... she'll post when she gets to the computor!
You' love this! Stay tuned!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL!!! I'm sure it is!

My wife worked at Davi's for a couple weeks..... she'll post when she gets to the computor!
You' love this! Stay tuned!!!!

I would love to hear her stories of that place...
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey all,

I'm Esse's wife. The one who USED to work at Davi's.

Lovely thread you have here. Let me enlighten you all a bit.

The owner of the company is a female. That's not all but Esse won't let me go there.

She hired a thin little short fricked dude who'se sole purpose in life is to beat people down and extol the virtues of his snub-nose sock stuffed "appliance" to anyone who will listen.

I kid you not... once... while the entire staff was LOCKED in the building for inventory - this little miscreant picked up a $10.00 black jack - dropped it into his crotch and proceeded to strut around the showroom floor shouting something about how hard his stick was.

He's pushing sixty, has the emotional development of your average 13 year old, the IQ and temperament of of an inbred doberman - and an affinity for guns. Go figure.

For a VERY brief time, they hired a floor manager (who was leter fired for being decent to the customers) and that's how I got mistakenly added to the staff. It wasn't a good fit, as I was nice to the customers. This didn't go over well with management and it SURE AS HECK didn't go over well with a number of my fellow employees.

For starters, I was hired to be a "salesman" but when I showed up to work the black shirt said "cashier". I was informed that they had filled the last sales position before I was hired and it was the last job open. I was told that as soon as a "salesman's" position opened up - I was next in line.

Next came the problem with carrying a sidearm. Seems that only the "salesmen" could carry sidearms. I questioned this policy and what it came down to was only the "men" could carry side arms.

I took issue with that and was told "Okay, but you have to qualify". (Had any one else had to "qualify"? I dunno.)

To qualify I was told by the "squinty little guy" (we'll get to him later) that I had to shoot 80% (8 out of 10 rounds) at 25 feet. I thought to myself... "No problem there. I already had a 98% on the NC Private Protective Services qualification, a CCW in which I shot 96%, and am as good a shot with a handgun as anyone I know who isn't a ranked match shooter (I'm a rifle person - I don't shoot handguns.)

So I bring in my gun and just to make sure that every ONE of these chauvinist ba$tards gets the point, I let them ALL shoot the gun and my ammo FIRST - before I set down to qualify.

The best shot in the group was "Bama" (We'll get to him later too) who shot about 90% and was feeling pretty good about himself. The worst was the "squnty little guy" who couldn't find half his bullets out of a ten round mag.

When I was done (in 20 seconds), I had ten rounds in a 3/4" group in the X ring. I took my target down, got "Bama" and the "squinty little guy" to sign it and date it and I thought that was pretty much that. They were a little put off by my performance.

Then the stuffed sock came up with another hoop I had to jump through in order to "qualify"... and that was pretty much that. I'd had it & I quit.

The "Squnity little guy" is someone I have come to refer to as "The Sniper". He is the kind of dangerous little freak that gives long range shooters a very bad name.

- He likes to carry his crappy little PSS around and talk about blowing people's heads off with it.

- He's why they'll outlaw "sniper rifles" when they finally do.

- He likes to put on his gillie suit and run around in the store parking lot in the dark after closing time.

The police need to watch this little $hit b/c one day he's going to get a head of steam up and try to kill someone. (The good news is that while he talks about it a lot - he rarely shoots and NEVER trains. I have seem him shoot and he can't hit shit. At Butner - his rounds miss the target completely and he chases them... so... he's actually no danger except at close enough range to smell his bad breath.)

"Bama"... this is the dude who really griped my goat. He shouldn't be working in a gun store b/c he has a history of violence and its well documented in another state (take a guess which one).

He honestly believes that women exist to poke and cook and do not belong in gun stores (especially not women who can shoot better than he can.)

His IQ is close to the sock stuffer... but unlike the sock stuffer who is really a major puss and probably couldn't actually get it up to hurt a fly - I am pretty certain that Bama - when intoxicated - could and would do serious harm.

MONTHS (a year?) after I worked there - "Bama" ran into a blog post I made about him and what a pathetic piece of meat he was - and he actually emailed me sporting all kinds of threats - including lawyers. I laughed so hard I nearly $hit myself.

If I can find the email conversation - I'll post it for your pleasure.

I have SO many stories about this place... I posted to my blog but it isn't active anymore (I have a new one.) I will go back and find some of them and post to the new blog and send you guys some links.

The whole place is a joke - if it were not so damn sad.

Oh - and the 3 second rule - only the customers have to follow that. After hours - the boys light that place up like it's the LeJune artillery range. ... Oh - but they know how to handle their guns and YOU don't... so they are allowed.

Esse wouldn't even let me post the most pertinenet facts - but if you email me directly... I'll be happy to further enlighten you :-)

One positive note: The guy there who covers the knives - he's a big dude, X-SpecOps dude - hard to miss. He is the most knowledgable guy around about steel. He won't steer you wrong. He's also smart, witty and darned nice. If you HAVE to spend any money there - do it with him - and take his recomendations. He knows what he's talking about.

--grace
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:35:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Post deleted.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
The guy who covers the knives.  Heavy set, Bald guy with a goatee?  He is the only person in that store that I will waste my time talking to.  I've gone in there from time to time because they do have a nice selection.  You can handle a lot of firearms in that store before special ordering them from a store with decent customer service and reasonable prices.  I've taken female friends into the store so that they could handle a lot of firearms along side one another before taking them somewhere else to buy the gun they picked out.  Most people who have gone in there with me, recognize that they are idiots.  You just have to be firm with them, let them know that there opinion isn't wanted, and correct them when they give you wrong information.  They won't like it, but who cares.  

I want the details of the other garbage that went on!  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why won't esse let you have your own account here?

u352- You met her- you have to ask? She's mean! I had to "proof" her post, me- the guy who will say anything to anybody at anytime! She'll go off on a diatribe and piss someone off, inevitibly.
Tell you how mean she is...... I can't go to her company Christmas party with her, because "I can't behave".  Is that mean or what?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#10]
man, I'm missing out, never go there, I think this weekend I'll go and do a recon.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:53:42 AM EDT
[#11]
"Now, that's just funny.  I don't care who you are, that's funny."

Davi's should have Larry the Cable Guy working there!

Lex
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:34:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never been inside that joint, but I will go soon, just to cofirm. I'll probably bring Mrs. Slacker, just for kicks. Isn't this the place off Capital Blvd beside Graingers supply?
Nevermind, I checked out the webpage and answered my own question.
They don't mention anywhere on the webpage about caliber restrictions on there range.
Can 5.56 be used?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:36:44 AM EDT
[#13]
re:  caliber restrictions at Davis' indoor range -- I've shot my AR, AK and an 8mm Mauser there in the past.  The have a Smith & Wesson 500 revolver for rent, so .50 pistol  rounds are OK.

I have bought a few things there -- only had one really unpleasant experience when I bought a Kimber 1911 magazine in a blister pack.  The package was marked 8 round, but I didn't notice that the mag under the plastic was a 7 round version until after I left..  I was back at the store within 20 minutes and they gave me a lot of grief about a refund.  (It was the last one in stock, so they couldn't replace it).  I'm guessing someone before me had swapped a 7 round mag into that package - either deliberately or accidentally.  They finally refunded, but kept the sales tax!  The "manager" was a real jerk about it.  This was a couple of years ago.

Other sales people I have talked to there have been OK -- friendly, or at least civil.  I don't rely on retail sales clerks for much detailed technical knowledge -- either at gun stores or any other type of store -- unless I know they are competent.

Bottom line - check them out for yourself, but be sure to compare with PDHSC, Perry's, Youngs and other shops.  Caveat emptor!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:41:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Can 5.56 be used?

I've shot 7.62x39, and .30 .30 there.

I loved that inside story I'll email for more details. Whoe the guy with not much hair and a mustace and carries a huge knive and a gun? He the jerk I had the run in with haveing my .45 on my belt and he changed his story on me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Predictably some liberal asswipe from Chapel Hill had to write an editorial saying something nasty about the article, from the Dec 17 N&O (http://www.newsobserver.com/580/story/378781.html)

Published: Dec 17, 2005 12:30 AM
Modified: Dec 17, 2005 04:16 AM

The grim context

It has been 25 years since a psychotic man easily purchased a handgun and shot John Lennon to death. Since that sad day, more than 700,000 people in America have been killed in gun-related homicides, suicides and accidental shootings, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

These casualties of the gun must frame the context for any news story on handguns. Obviously, guns pose a serious public health danger.

But against this reality comes your bizarre Dec. 13 photograph and article "Women encouraged to take up weapons weekly," which cheered on women who are looking for something adventurous to find the answer in femininity and firearms.

To run what is essentially an advertisement for a gun shop without any balance or context about the devastating impact guns have on our society is reckless and irresponsible.

S. D.
Chapel Hil

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:05:56 PM EDT
[#16]
There's an asshole in every crowd.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
TYPES OF ACCIDENTAL DEATHS, USA

PERCENT
(1) Motor vehicle (MVA) 44.3%  
(2) Falls 17.8%
(3) Poison,liq/solid 13.0%
(4) Drowning 3.9%
(5) Fires, Burns,Smoke 3.4%
(6) Medical/Surgical Complication 3.1%
(7) Other land transport 1.5%
(8) Firearms 0.8%

700,000 firearms deaths vs 38,762,500 motor vehicles

Cars - 55 times more deadly than firearms
We need to stop teaching driver's education!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Esse's wife... IM me the "other stuff" about Davi's.  I admit I am curious.  

Is the "squinty eye guy" the skinny little dude that has the sorta hunched walk?

He looks like the little queer guy off the movie "wedding crashers"  

(all the way on the right)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:26:36 AM EDT
[#19]
They truly are about the most inept group of gunhandling miscreants I've ever met in my life. I couldn't count on both hands the number of times I've heard them spew misinformation on guns like it was sent down from Charlton Heston himself.

A few years ago, I wanted to get a good friend a knife for his B-day. I sent my wife to Davi's (I was working) to pick it up. The display price was about $30 less than the price that was she was charged at check out. The cashier was not too concerned, so she asks to speak to "a manager". Enter Rat Boy...this skinny, big nosed, squinty eyed, weasely zit faced assbag of a shop manager shows up and tells my wife in so many words "We had it mis-marked, tough shit, take it or leave it." My wife continues to press the issue, tells him she's a LEO in Durham and is going to recommend to her co-workers to do their gun buying elsewhere. Rat Boy starts railing on her about "threatening" him and he should call RPD and have her charged?!?! She let it go and headed home (to continue the fight with me).

Needless to say, I won't be doing business there again.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 2:25:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Yesterday:  I am wanting to obtain a weapon light for my bushy.  I would *LIKE* to support my local gun shops, even if it means paying more.  First stop, PDHSC which is my favorite local store.
I walk in, patiently wait to speak to a man behind the counter, and inquire.  I get some sort of information, then kind of blown off.  I look around some more, inquire again, and am referred to some guy in a room by himself.  I can sum up the conversation as we are out of stock on everything, and why don't you just find what you want on the internet then let us order it for you.  Fine, if I am going to the internet then I will buy it on the internet.  I leave, all my money intact.
Davi's is next.....  I patiently look around and wait.  I get *SOME* help, he actually checked what was in the glass display case before telling me he had nothing with a tape switch.  So, how much to order one..... $600 to 700 dollars!!!!  I am again blown off.... I did get to hold and try an eotech which I will also buy SOMEWHERE ELSE.  I browse the safes, am given no assistance there, and leave.  Looks like my gift certificate there will be put towards a range pass as I cannot stomach their prices or service.   Rudders gun service in Butner is nice, but it hurts being so small and so far away from me.  Rest assured any future firearms will come from there.  The Dixie shows are pretty much the only place I get ammo anyways.

BTW, I called Brightflashlights and ordered one of his demo unit surefires.  I got it modified to my taste, the batteries are very inexpensive through him, and recieved INCREDIBLE service, all just for a flashlight.  I can't wait for it to arrive.

Support your local gunshops, so I can look at and hold what I want to purchase online first.h.gif
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:57:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably some grad student from Mass. or downstate NY....Chapel Hill is the Berkeley of the East Coast.

Quoted:
Predictably some liberal asswipe from Chapel Hill had to write an editorial saying something nasty about the article, from the Dec 17 N&O (http://www.newsobserver.com/580/story/378781.html)

Published: Dec 17, 2005 12:30 AM
Modified: Dec 17, 2005 04:16 AM

The grim context

It has been 25 years since a psychotic man easily purchased a handgun and shot John Lennon to death. (snip of Brady BS)

To run what is essentially an advertisement for a gun shop without any balance or context about the devastating impact guns have on our society is reckless and irresponsible.

S. D.
Chapel Hil

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#22]
my take on davi's is if they have it or recomend it ,it is the item you need nothing else will work,if you ask do they have something they will spend the next hour telling you why you need to buy this instead,i won't go back.
young guns in apex pretty much the same deal but if you don't mind listening to some b.s.his prices are pretty decent on most things,one of his tales was hank jr. sent him a rifle to fix and all it needed was cleaning because (as it was told) the bore was completely plugged.
i believe it called hills?,anyway on capital blvd ,near bobby murray chev,bought some reloading stuff there,nice people
now i live in harnett county and go to fayeville mostly,ace pawn on bragg is good to deal with ,jeff will order anything you want and their prices are real good,
shooters pawn on bragg is decent also,good selection of relaoding supplies
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Man, I've got to stay away from those stores in Raleigh.  The only fun stores I ever get around to are Ed's and Hyatt's (play with stuff at Hyatt's and usually order it from Ed's), and at neither store have I ever received anywhere close to the bad treatment that y'all have experienced.

How do places like that stay in business?    
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

How do places like that stay in business?    

Must be from range fees.  I didn't see anyone buying anything when I was at Davi's but their range was packed.  There are also some people who don't order off the internet ( ) and have to pay high prices...

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm not a fan of most of  the local stores...but Davi's is the worst store I've ever graced with my presence.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#26]
man, you guys are saying what i have been saying to my friends for months, Davis Sucks!! Would the little sock dude be the one behind the gun counter that doesn't answer your questions and has a general "i'm-pissed-that-your-talking-to-me-and-there-are-better-things-i-could-be-doing-right-now"?
i was in there the other day looking at a M9(which was really hot btw) while HOLDING my cell phone in my hand and the twirp who comes up to my waist walks up and practicaly belts out, "you can't use those in here!" no $hit sherlock. hat
my ranting is done, thanks.horse.gif
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I would rather pleasure myself with razorwire gloves on than go anywhere nears Davi's.hock.gif
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#28]
I still chuckle just picturing the guy in the ghillie-suit running around the parking lot after hours.

Lex
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Gunworks on Creedmore finally went away - he was the worst.  Davi's is a close second - the place sucks except for the knife guy.  

What a fantastic thread - I thought it was only me......

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
TYPES OF ACCIDENTAL DEATHS, USA

PERCENT
(1) Motor vehicle (MVA) 44.3%  
(2) Falls 17.8%
(3) Poison,liq/solid 13.0%
(4) Drowning 3.9%
(5) Fires, Burns,Smoke 3.4%
(6) Medical/Surgical Complication 3.1%
(7) Other land transport 1.5%
(8) Firearms 0.8%

700,000 firearms deaths vs 38,762,500 motor vehicles

Cars - 55 times more deadly than firearms
We need to stop teaching driver's education!

I believe what that is not saying directly is that that is "Medical Malpractice". I forget the exact year, sometime in the late 90s, but there where something like 1500 accidental gun deaths in the U.S. and something like 115,000 accidental deaths caused by doctors. Even by those figures posted its damn near 4 times as deadly to go to the doctor as to be around guns!

That's one of my favorite stats to quote to people who are anti-gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I am relieved that I am not the only one to get bad vibes from that place.

I am in sales, and I understand the usual impact that customer service has on business. I don't understand how they are still open. It MUST be profit from range fees.

For the last three guns I was pricing, they were between $65 and $85 more than other places I looked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks to all for the info. I just moved in Hillsborough and I have been looking for a good shop.

now I just took one off the list.

John  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:22:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Todays rant:
I go in with my range pass at 3 minutes after 12.  Damn, they already filled up so I am first on the waiting list.  That is perfectly understandable though.  So I was sitting there on the bench and admiring their hand gun collection (they must be collecting them because they damn sure aren't selling any at those prices) when I hear the employees talking.  They had run out of various calibers of ammo and were restocking, when one of them sounded surprised about having run out of a certain kind of ammo.  The other employee says yeah, we aren't going to put out any of the cheap ammo until all the expensive stuff is gone, I don't want it sitting on the shelf for 3 years.
So much for leaving it up to the customer to decide what to buy.  Perhaps if your prices were more reasonable that wouldn't be an issue!
Then they start discussing the gun show, and all the idiots coming in with the broken guns they bought there, and how the prices were too high.  Laughing about the $1400 colt rifles, when I was thinking that the same rifle would sell for $2000 in their shop.
On the other hand, the black cashier lady was quite nice, as usual.  The range time was as fun as it could be for Davis, and Nobody gave me any shit this time.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Thanks to all for the info. I just moved in Hillsborough and I have been looking for a good shop.

now I just took one off the list.

John  

Welcome to the OC.

There's a lot of good shops close to you.  The two I recommend are Rudders in Butner, and Mace in Mebane.  Rudders is smaller, but has better prices on most stuff.  Mace is bigger and has better prices on Beretta products.  Yeah, avoid Davi's like the plague.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:06:15 PM EDT
[#35]
+1 on Rudders.  Going for my CCW there saturday.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#36]
this may not be the right thread to ask this but, who would you guys talk to when thinking about buying an Bushmaster or Colt AR-15?  hopefully my next purchasehinking
-Davi's $usks heavy.gif
-Rudder's --never been to
-Mace was awesome, great selection
-Guptons was ok, mostly traded guns. although i bought a sweet remington ex. mag. 12ga from a guy that used to work there that i used to go to school with.
-Young Guns???
-Perrys???
what do you yall think of these guys?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
this may not be the right thread to ask this but, who would you guys talk to when thinking about buying an Bushmaster or Colt AR-15?  hopefully my next purchase

I was thinking either PDHSC, Mace or ???

-Davi's $usks
-Guptons was ok, mostly traded guns. although i bought a sweet remington ex. mag. 12ga from a guy that used to work there that i used to go to school with.
-Young Guns???
-Perrys???

Try Perrys and Young Guns.  Also call or visit Lawmen's in raleigh and see if they still sell Colt LE rifles
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Young Guns usually has several Bushy's for fondling.

I've rarely seen more than 2-3 AR's at Perry's.

Lex
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#39]
I got my Bushy M4 from PDHSC, they had a really good price.  $840 before taxes etc...  They ordered it, and it arrived in 3 days.  That said, they weren't a great help when I picked it up and were out of all the cleaning supplies at that time.  I got good vibes when I laid out the cash, afterwards I was left a little cold.  After my last flashlight experience I will prolly pay more elsewhere.  They seem interested in what THEY are doing, and not what you want.  You also cannot shoot rifles at their range.  So I am on the fence, really iffy about whether or not I would go there again.  If you know what you want and have no questions, by all means they probably have the best price in town.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
this may not be the right thread to ask this but, who would you guys talk to when thinking about buying an Bushmaster or Colt AR-15?  hopefully my next purchase

I was thinking either PDHSC, Mace or ???

-Davi's $usks
-Young Guns???
-Perrys???

haha - I just stopped by Davi's to remind myself what a screw job that place is.  It took no more than 30 seconds for myself to be reminded.  Grabbed some free literature and left.

Mace:  Where are they located and what type of things do they stock? Never heard of the before - been in Raleigh since '95
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:15:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Wierd, I was at Davi's friday and sunday, and people were nice.  I guess they are starting to know me or something.  Friday I did some rezeroing without issue.  Sunday I was there at 12 but the door whores beat me to the range.  I was going to have to wait because the target lights were out on 7, and I said thats fine put me there I have weapon lights on my guns.  They let me go shoot, and all was fine for about 15 minutes till the target carrier broke.  I looked around in the store a bit after getting a sincere apology from one of the employees and got some decent service.  Keep in mind that decent at Davis is not like decent at other places.  Must be something in the water....
But I still didn't buy anything cause a glock for over $600 is stoopid
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:45:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Mace is off I-40 near Mebane.  Is it Buckhorn Rd exit??????

They have a nice selection...even some Armalites on display....not too common in my travels.

Lex
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Yea, Buckhorn Rd exit, then first left, 1/4 on the right
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Why do you guys keep going back if you've had such bad experiences there? Not trying to start anything, I'm just curious. Personally, I've never had an issue with the workers there. Prices, yes, but I've never had trouble otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:35:07 PM EDT
[#45]
For me its beccause they are 3 miles away, AND I can shoot my AR15 there.  PDHSC has much better range rules, but they are farther away and I am not allowed to shoot my carbine there even though I am told the backstop is rated sufficiently to handle rifles.  The one single thing I want more than anything out of Davi's is the elimination of the "3 second rule".  Their prices don't bother me at all because I just shop elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
For me its beccause they are 3 miles away, AND I can shoot my AR15 there.  PDHSC has much better range rules, but they are farther away and I am not allowed to shoot my carbine there even though I am told the backstop is rated sufficiently to handle rifles.  The one single thing I want more than anything out of Davi's is the elimination of the "3 second rule".  Their prices don't bother me at all because I just shop elsewhere.

Have you checked out the Wake County public indoor range?  100 meters (110 yards), $10 per hour, can shoot up to and including .50 caliber I think.

Linky

If you're interested next time I go to SSI, probably 2 or 3 weekends from now, I'll give  you an invite and you shoot your EBR's all you want.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:35:17 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

SSI shouldn't be too far from you.  And there membership isn't too expensive.  There's also Sir Walter, and Frank's in Oxford.  Sir walter is pricey, but nice.  Frank's is private, and you  need to get permission from Frank, but it is inexpensive.  Show up at a 3 gun match, and speak with him.  He's a good guy.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#48]
What is SSI?  Sir Walter is mega buck, wake county is kinda far and I would need to take the class.  I have a one year membership to Davi's that I got for christmas to burn up.  I plan to use it as often as possible till I at least get my money out of it!  
I would be interested in shooting with some fellow Arfcommers and perhaps actually learning something instead of reinforcing my self created bad habits.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:07:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

I wish they'd do away with that rule myself. I've noticed a lot of the ranges I go to implement that rule as well, but I've found several that don't. Sort of luck of the draw, I guess. The only thing I can think of as a good reason for the rule would be the equipment. I went to a range near Charlotte one time and watched a guy shoot the target holder right off the line. The guy was only shooting for the second time in his life and got a little carried away. But still, scary stuff that was.

But thankfully they haven't been throwing up strip malls around me yet, so I still shoot out in the woods behind my house from time to time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
What is SSI?  Sir Walter is mega buck, wake county is kinda far and I would need to take the class.  I have a one year membership to Davi's that I got for christmas to burn up.  I plan to use it as often as possible till I at least get my money out of it!  
I would be interested in shooting with some fellow Arfcommers and perhaps actually learning something instead of reinforcing my self created bad habits.

SSI is Shooting Sports Inc, a private club, not open to public,  new member waiting list starts Feb 6, 4 days from now, visit Young Guns in Apex for details.  Membership is $160 a year, limited to 200 members,  however many of the 200 members from the previous year don't renew is how many slots are available for new members.  It's about 25 miles north of the beltline just off 401N, just a few miles south of Louisburg.  Has 2 50 yard pits, 3 smaller pits, and a 100/200 yard rifle range and a place to pop clay pidgeons.  They dont advertise because they dont need to.  Outdoor range, shoot pistols, rifles, full autos, shotguns, BB guns, airsoft, whatever floats your boat.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top