Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 6:07:17 PM EDT
Last minute plans take us (The wife and I) to Ocracoke island tomorrow thru Friday. What can we do or see? What's the best resturants and places to hang out. We are open to all ideas!! And yes we know Ophelia was just there but hey it will be OK!! We are in need of a break!! Any idea on travel time from the Augusta GA. area?

Thanks...
F15H
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:51:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Ocracoke is nice, been there once.  Now we go mainly to Hatteras Island duew to lenght of time to get to Ocracoke, having to go on Ferry.

Bring a fishing pole and surf fish.

See the Ocracoke lighthouse, and the small sailors cemetary nearby.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Check the ferry schedules!  

Outer Banks Ferry Schedules

If you miss the Cedar Island to Ocracoke boat, you will be waiting a while.  Had we not been on motorcycles on our most recent trip earlier this year, we would have been waiting for the next one.  10 years ago, we missed the last ferry of the day.  We were there in plenty of time, but it was booked up.  Had to spend the night in a roach motel at the ferry terminal, and catch the first one out the following morning.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Oops.  Didn't pay attention to the original post date.  Dude is most likely already there.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 8:04:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yea, I learned that the hard way.  That was what I was trying to convey to the original poster, but didn't make myself clear.  Kinda sucks sitting in line for over an hour, only to have someone show up 10 minutes before the boat leaves and drive right on.  

On our trip this year, being on the bikes, I was uncertain as to precisely when we would arrive in Cedar Island.  We managed to squeeze onto the tail end where the gates would barely clear our bikes as they closed.  What a relief to be motioned to board!  That was a killer trip this year.  Few nights in Myrtle Beach during bike week, up to Atlantic beach for a night, and then to Nags Head for a couple more nights before heading west toward the mountains.  I thoroughly enjoyed being on the bikes for 1600 miles that week, but I certainly missed my truck.  Four Wheeling out on the beaches and in the surf for miles upon miles is one of my favorite adventures.  

Man, I love the Outer Banks.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top