Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 4:15:06 AM EDT
You folks on the coast need to check in.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
well, i'm still here after Ophelia.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not exactly at the coast but Greenville sure as crap got it's share of rain and wind Wednesday. A friend of mine who lives in Carteret County said that several of his properties were damaged and had to boil water to cook with but other than that he was fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:56:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I was at East Carolina from 72-76. You could count on the Tar flooding at least once a year. My daughter was there in 99 for Floyd and got out about 2 hours before the roads closed. I'd still give my left nad to be living between Greenville and New Bern. Maybe one day I can move back down there and retire.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
We came through Ophelia with no damage. This surprised me, as one particular section of the building usually suffers wind damage during high intensity storms. Our neighbor across the street suffered major shingle damage. About 40% of their shingles and a lot of the tar paper underneath was ripped off. A co-worker told me they probably used staples instead of proper roofing nails to save money. I imagine a lawsuit is going to happen as a result of that. If my 2 year old roof flew off and my neighbors' rooves stayed intact I would be verily ticked off.

I did notice a few shingles missing from the edge of a roof down the block, and a chalet shaped house several blocks down lost some large sections of siding. This is all the damage I've seen, other than the obvious plants and blown over trees. Overall I'd say we came through Ophelia well. Nobody died, nobody had their car crushed, and our neighbor found out their roofing contractor is a con artist.

Galland

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
wilmington nc here
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Nothing except some much needed rain here in New Bern.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#7]
just joined today ... living in j-actionville though i don't know how much longer until i'm PCS'd out of here.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Im ok here at the Gulf Coast if that counts.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Reeldoc,

Floyd was pretty bad here. Greenville was like an island but the people here didn't act like those assholes in NO. We all seemed to work together and take care of our neighbor. It was all you could do to keep sane. I was at PCC at the time and I tried to look out for my fellow classmates who weren't so lucky. I was a few years older than they were so they looked to me as a big brother. If the people in NO could follow eastern NC's example they would be better off in the long run.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top