Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 7:10:37 PM EDT
was down there today with the kids.i was told by another shooter that the round clay targets are a no no their.
anyone able to confirm this?kids really enjoy the breaking of them when hit.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:46:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Sad but true.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:03:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I hadn't heard that. Me and my buddies take realty signs and replace the actual sign part with cardboard and attach 12 or 16 clay pigeons to that and shoot those at 100 yards.  Nobody's ever said anything about it.

What is the reason for not allowing them?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:31:35 AM EDT
[#3]
isn't the clay piegons bio degradeable?
so when it rains ,they disappear.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:56:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:32:40 AM EDT
[#5]

i will call the forest rangers and find out.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]
called and talk to a guy name eion(sp?)
he said that they are allowed as long as the are stationary.no throwing or lauching of any sort.and not to have a launcher in your vehicle.

on a stand that you will be removing when left,and no higher than the berm.since they are trails behind the berm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
he said that they are allowed as long as the are stationary.no throwing or lauching of any sort.and not to have a launcher in your vehicle.

on a stand that you will be removing when left,and no higher than the berm.since they are trails behind the berm.

If this is true, they need to get all the Forest Rangers on the same page. hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I was told they were a "no no" too.  But the ranger said, since he watched us clean-up for about an hour he didn't mind us shootin' them.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If this is true, they need to get all the Forest Rangers on the same page.

that is what the man told me
910-576-6391
if someone has some extra time call him and reverify it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the reason for the no no on clay birds is that people on horseback have strayed into the areas behind the backstops before.
Someone once mentioned seeing a rider pop up over the backstop only to claim that he didn't hear a thing.
Once after shooting a reactive target (tanerite), we got hassled  out there once by the local LEO and were told no targets other than what they post as acceptable on the and for some reason the guy seemed to think we were shooting over the backstop.
He told me himself that riders had complained about rounds going overhead.
We were not shooting at anything but the backstop, let me make that clear.
As a result, I still won't go to Uwharrie again.

I will not take the chance of shooting towards people unless they're breaking in my home in the middle of the night.
I have a suspicion that the local Barney still doesn't have a safe range.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#11]
FYI, the regular clay targets do degrade but it takes a long time.  They are made of a mix of clay and asphault that will sit around for a long time.  At most shotgun ranges they are crunched up long before they fall apart  There is an "eco friendly" brand of clays but the generic AA white flyers are not.  The Eco friendly version is more expensive... naturally.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#13]
the trails that the forest people put in run behind the berm.
not right behind it but in the distance.
but who in the hell would want to ride a horse behind the range.

i don't want to be anywheres in front of a gun!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
just a thought, maybe rice cakes?  they're about the same size, or crackers of some sort?

I'll admit, it's a little disconcerting shooting there knowing there's trails (horse, 4x4, etc) running all through the place
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#15]
just a thought, maybe rice cakes? they're about the same size, or crackers of some sort?

I think that's what the local barney is using for brains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top