Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2005 7:36:00 AM EDT
Picked up my CCW permit today in Durham. I was maxed out on purchase permits (5 per year) so I was all done buying handguns for the year. The CCW permit is supposed to let me bypass the purchase permit requirement altogether.   Its going to be really nice to go to any gunshop in NC and not worry about "rationing" my purchase permits. I've never met a handgun I didn't like so it was a real PITA for me. Glad to be done with it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]

No more trying to find time to get the sheriff to apply and no more going back to pick them up either.
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#2]
So, as CCW holders, we don't have to get the paperwork anymore that's notorized and signed by a non-family member stating that "we're of good moral character".  Cool!  Is that new??  I'm in Johnston County...that just a Durham thing or state-wide??

Lex in NC
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:46:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Statewide. Also a if you have a CCW you can bypass the Insta check on long guns but, some dealers want do it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope to finish mine as well.  What was the turnaround time for you?

Max
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:41:48 AM EDT
[#5]
It wasnt too long ago the Instacheck and handgun permit change happened, but I am happy too, it makes sence.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Turned in my paperwork & $85 to the Sherrif on 8/17... now the waiting game..... heard it wasn't too bad though.... I'll post the turn-around time...
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:05:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I was maxed out on purchase permits (5 per year) so I was all done buying handguns for the year.

You sure about that?  I thought you could only get 5 at a time.  Not 5 per year.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:44:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Cope,

Its 2 at a time, max of five per year.

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was maxed out on purchase permits (5 per year) so I was all done buying handguns for the year.

You sure about that?  I thought you could only get 5 at a time.  Not 5 per year.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:48:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Wake county is a maximum of 5 at a time (apparently no limit per year). Chatham county has a limit of 5 per year unless you are a collector (then it is 12 per year).
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Durham county (the worse one) is 5 per year, per person. Motivated me to get CCW. Rationing my purchase permits was a nightmare from hell.

Quoted:
Wake county is a maximum of 5 at a time (apparently no limit per year). Chatham county has a limit of 5 per year unless you are a collector (then it is 12 per year).

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:46:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't you have to turn in a purchase copy to Durham county when you burn a permit too. That would really chap my hide.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I didn't realize it was different from county to county.  Around here it 5 at a time, with no annual limit.  

The guy at the sheriff's office does his best to discourage me from going CCW. He tells me that I can buy a whole bunch of $5 permits for the cost of CCW.  I told him that wasn't the point in CCW.  He is cool about issuing all the permits you want each year in an effort to simply try to prevent people from going CCW.    His persuasion is evidently working on me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the FFL has to, but not resident to resident. It may be that the FFL just has to keep in on file. Any NC FFL's know the answer to this one?

Quoted:
Don't you have to turn in a purchase copy to Durham county when you burn a permit too. That would really chap my hide.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:17:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I hope to finish mine as well.  What was the turnaround time for you?

Max

16 days in Surry County for me! Hooray Sheriff Watson!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 3:10:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I truly can't wait to move to SC.
As one person put it "the only limitation of the amount of handguns you can buy there, is that of your wallet".
I can't shoot a popgun in Charlotte without fear of bringing the law down on me.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not against LEO, I'm against the liberal gun grabbers who spend every moment scheming on a way to keep you and I from owning a gun.

Mark my words, they'll figure out a way to tax bullets or require a permit for each one until it's no longer fun or economically possible to continue.
I can honestly say I'll never vote for a modern day democrat because they know that they can follow their agenda a lot better if we're not armed..
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Holy Cow!  How long did it take you from start to finish to get your CCW?  I live in Durham too and I was under the impression that it takes forever to get one here.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:16:48 AM EDT
[#18]
30 days total.

Quoted:
Holy Cow!  How long did it take you from start to finish to get your CCW?  I live in Durham too and I was under the impression that it takes forever to get one here.

-REAPER2502

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#19]
CCW best thing you could have ever done +1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top