Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2005 11:49:13 AM EDT
Been reading the thread with the receipe for exloding targets....I've got the land if someone wants to buy the blenders and supplies. Sounds like a 30-40 dollar invesment for about 50 lbs of this stuff.  Big boom.....
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Been reading the thread with the receipe for exloding targets....I've got the land if someone wants to buy the blenders and supplies. Sounds like a 30-40 dollar invesment for about 50 lbs of this stuff.  Big boom.....

I've got both ingredients and 1 of the blenders. Just haven't found time to try it out.

Hold my beer and watch this.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 3:00:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious, where could such a thing be pulled off without fear of attracting "too much attention"?
Honestly we're not even sure where to shoot at right now, since we still aren't too keen on going back to Uhwarrie after our little tannerite misunderstanding.
I need to get rich and buy a serious chunk of land somewhere in SC where a guy can make all sorts of noise without fear of reprecussion.
Link Posted: 7/16/2005 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a link for this recipe?
Link Posted: 7/17/2005 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#5]
This is from the archive, posted by Campybob on the AK side 11/1/04

note: i do not use explosives or pyritechnic items myself. therefore, i can NOT verify, vouch for or endorse anything stated below.

as far as legality: DO YOUR HOMEWORK WELL!!!

as far as usage: doing anything illegal or even stupid with explosives is a one-way ticket to heartache and financial ruin.

i rec'd a top secret email containing this:

The below information is for educational purposes only. I take no resposibity of its contents. I am not a lawyer or an expert. So if it doesnt work, or you get in trouble with the law its your own fault. Do not email me questions about this.

Well after a week of people begging me to post the recipe to a "reactive target" I decided to type this up. I was going to have pictures and suppliers listed but the demand for me to post it has prevented me from finishing what I had planed.

This reactive target is very similar to a name brand version already popular to the shooting community. They share some similarities and some differences. My version does not produce as much smoke and only works in enclosed containers of about 10 ounces or more. The trade off is that mine produced a bright flash, which looks cooler.

This reacitive target is similar to the popular commercial version in that it's a binary explosive. Which means its made up of two parts, and why it is legal to own.

You must follow all the below rules or else you will be in violation of the law.

Rules:
1. The two parts must be stored and transported separately (in different containers).
2. Once you mix them together you must use them immediately. You cannot mix them together and then drive to the shoot site or store them. This is why its legal to use this mixture. When the two parts are stored and transported separately it is legal. However once you mix them together it is an explosive and must be used on site.
3. Use of the explosive must not harm any one or any thing(except for targets at the shoot site) or be used in any way that is unlawful.

Ok now that's out of the way below is the mixture.

95% AN 5% AL by weight

AN = Ammonium Nitrate
AL = ALUMINUM POWDER

AN can be found online or at a local agricultural/fertilizer store. It comes in a 50lb bags at about 0.27-0.33 cents a pound. Very cheap. Make sure you get the bags marked as

34-0-0

and NOT urea nitrate.

When you purchase the AN in this form its coated with a some stuff that allows it to release slowly so you must prepare it for use. This is very easy to do.

Go purchase a cheap blender (actually buy 2) at Wal-Mart for $13 bucks.

Next fill the blinder about halfway and turn it on. Grind the stuff up until its about the consistency of about table salt. Since every blender is different you will have to experiment with the correct setting to get it correct.

Since AN is actually pretty stable until around 840 degrees Fahrenheit the heat generated in the blender will not set it off. But to be safe do this in a well venlated area with NO open flames.

Once its ground up I recommend you purchase some of those re-sealable paint buckets sold at Wal-Mart for a few bucks that are air tight.

Store it in this because it is hydrosorbic meaning it sucks up the moisture from the air. You can tell if its absorbed moisture from the air if it is clumped together in hard clumps. If this happens break the clumps apart and dry it out.

Now the AL is just as easy to prepare. You can find it online really cheap at about $7.00 a pound. You want to purchase it in 300-600 mesh but you can save some money by purchasing it in meshes less then 300 and grind it up your self with the second blender you purchased.

It's a good idea not to use the same blender you used for the AN because it can cause contamination.

To grind up the AL fill the blender up about half way. You want to get it to a very fine powder like flour. Since every blender is different you will have to see what power setting works the best.

Once its ground up I recommend you purchase some of those re-sealable paint buckets sold at Wal-Mart for a few bucks that are air tight.

Store it in this because it is hydrosorbic meaning it sucks up the moisture from the air. You cant tell if its absorbed moisture from the air if it is clumped together in hard clumps. If this happens break the clumps apart and dry it out.

Now that you have your two containers one with AN and the other with AL its time to go to the range. Once there to mix it together you are going to need a kitchen scale. You can find these at Wal-Mart cheap.

Start with the following to make sure it works:

100g AN mixed with 5g AL

Using a 20-ounce coke bottle with screw on top works best. Pour the amounts into the container and shake them up until they are mixed together. Remember once you mix them together you must use them at the site. You cannot drive or store the stuff mixed together.

Also remember the formula for mixing:

X * 0.05 = Y

X = Weight of AN

Y = Weight of AL to mix with that amount of AN

50 pounds of AN = 22,679.6185 grams

so using the above formula

22679.6185 * 0.05 = 1,133.980925

1133.980925 grams = 2.5 pounds of AL

So for every 50lb of AN you purchase you will need around 2.5lb of AL.

Now once the stuff is mixed the only way you can set it off is by shooting it with a .223 or above rifle or a number 8 blasting cap. Don't try setting it on fire, it makes a big gooey mess and around 840 degrees Fahrenheit nasty things can happen.

Once you have the stuff at the place you want to shoot it get back about at least 100 yards.

Have fun.

Ok below are some places I found to get the materials online.

E-bay has lots of people selling Aluminum Powder, this is probably the best place to get it.

Ammonium Nitrate can be hard to find locally if you don't live in a state that is primary agricultural. I found it was best to call around to local farm supply stores and ask. If they don't carry it, ask them if they know any one whom sales it. So long as you are not purchasing the stuff in huge amounts most people pay no mind.

You can purchase the stuff online, but shipping can be expensive to some areas.

This place has the stuff, the link goes to 50 pound bags for like $12, there online order cart didn't work for me. But you can call and order it that way with a credit card. Remember you want bags of 34-0-0 fertilizer.

https://www.horthippo.com/control/p...oduct_id=740100

Link Posted: 7/17/2005 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Where are we at with this? I've got several stumps that need removing. I'll dig out the bottom so a 20oz. coke bottle will fit perfectly. No one will say a word to us on my property. They like big booms too

ETA: 350, you gonna ride that sled down here for a weekend and make this happen?
Backpack full of binary....thats the makings of a good story.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Check out pyroaluminum.com. Would this stuff work ok?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:21:10 AM EDT
[#9]
bump .so i dont loose it
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got both ingredients and 1 of the blenders. Just haven't found time to try it out.

slacker

I was looking at Dan's website, and it says that any bullet will set it off. If this is true then I may very well have to invest in some
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top