Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2005 7:33:16 PM EDT
I need the help of the raleigh/durham are arfcomer's.  I want to start competing in the above sporting area, and would like to tag along with those who do it often, so I can learn the ropes and be introduced to people as well.  CAn anyone help me out?   I have the guns, heart and desire, just need the teaching.  If anyone wouldn't mind a newbie tagging along, I would like to participate.

thanks in advance!
Infoscout
Link Posted: 7/14/2005 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot 3 gun up at Frank's in Oxford.  It's the closest to the Raleigh/Durham area and they have a good match.  Unfortunately, due to financial reasons, it looks like I'll be out of it for the rest of the summer.  I'd be glad to take you along to the next one I shoot.  It doesn't take much to start though.  Show up with 20 bucks for the entry fee, and tell them you are new.  They'll take good care of you.  I usually bring about 10 rounds of 00 buck, 20 slugs, and 60 to 80 shells of bird shot.  A modified choke works well.  100 rounds of rifle ammo and 200 rounds of pistol ammo.  They follow IPSC rules.  No speedloaders on the shotguns, and you are limited to 10 rounds of ammo in each magazine for rifle and pistol.  No optics on shotguns or handguns and you are classified as having optics or iron sights on your rifle.  Most of those guys are really friendly and if you say hello to someone they'll more than likely take you under there wing.  Hang around after the match is over and usually some of the local LE guys and Class 3 manufacturers will bring out some toys that you can play with.  

It looks like the next match will be August 21, here's the website for details.  I might be able to shoot that one since I can no longer afford to shoot the state idpa match, so remind me when the time comes.  

http://users.gloryroad.net/~idpa/

DPRC in Mebane does highpower.  I've never done it, but there website has info on how to start.  
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#2]
sweet ! thanks wolfie! I am there!   My only shotgun is is a "riot" style 870, will that do?  What kind of gear do you use, as far as holsters, mag carriers and such? Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 3:51:34 AM EDT
[#3]
North State Shooting Club

Try this page.

Keith
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
sweet ! thanks wolfie! I am there!   My only shotgun is is a "riot" style 870, will that do?  What kind of gear do you use, as far as holsters, mag carriers and such? Thanks for the info!

These matches are usually informal, so don't get carried away with gear.  Some guys shoot with lever action rifles and wheelguns.  They are still a lot of fun.  They always use the shoot house, and often you will have stages that involve shooting targets out of bus windows or out of cars.  They even built a replica jet liner for a stage once.  

Any shotgun will do.  I use an 870 with a 2 shot extention.  You can have 6 inthe tube and one in the chamber to start most stages.  I mounted a side saddle shell carrier on the reciever, and have a nylon shell carrier on the butt stock.  I wouldn't recommend a pistol grip.  You really want a full buttstock especially for those "put a slug in the down zero at 50 yards" type stages.  When I started, I just took a cheap skeet style dump pouch and threw extra shells in that.  Now I've got a couple of the California Competition works shell carriers that I bought from Dillon.  They work very well, and are fast, even though my gut makes them a little uncomfortable.   The only caveat to shotgun shells is to have a way of keeping slugs and shot separate.  You often have to use both in a single stage, on specific targets.  A slug hitting the wrong target up close will get you DQ'ed or even hurt.  Most of the matches are won and lost with the shotguns.

Any safe holster will do, occasionally you will reholster on the clock so keep reholstering in mind. No cross draw style becuase you would point the gun behind you when holstering/unholstering.  If the holster has a retention strap they will make you use it.  So I avoid those types of holsters.  Uncle Mikes Kydex strong side belt holsters work fine.  3 gun is about the only opportunity for most folks to make use a drop leg holster, but it's not necessary and often slows people down.  I use a Safariland 5183 for the Glock, or a Blade Tech for the 1911 and some plain jane uncle mikes mag carriers.  The same holsters I use for IDPA.  

I generally just stick AR mags in my pants pocket.  

You will generally only transition between two guns in a single stage, so unless you are shooting the Recon match, you won't have to huff everything with you.  A good range bag is nice to have.  If you have any questions let me know.  I've tried a fair amount of stuff and come up with a good idea of what works for me.  

Helmie, the guy who own's i-shot is usually up there trying out some of his new gear, and usually has a lot of stuff to show off.  

From time to time, they will have a day/night match, but other than that, you shouldn't need a light.  And, thus far, I've just used duct tape to mount the lights on the guns.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Rehashing an old thread.  I realised that August 21 came and went and I never got in touch with you.  FWIW, I don't think the match actually happend because it was the day after the state match.  Anyway, if you are still interested, there's one on the 18th of sept that I should be able to make.  Let me know.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks wolfie, for some reason I thought it was this weekend, and I was going to send a post out to see if it was.  I am on for the 18th!

How is the fal working, did you get the bugs out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#7]
www.range-1.com  has some pretty good three-gun matches or at least they did when I was still stateside.  There usually pretty small so everything stays on a friendly level and they won't limit what you use, so it can be a fun way to try out new toys.  There's also usually a real good chance of getting shooters from Ft. Bragg that come out there to give you some free tips and tricks, in addition to the guys who have been shooting three-gun forever.  Just remember people who use guns for work and people who game with guns have diffrent opinions about what the best way to do something is.  One way is gonna be faster the other will probably be slower and more cover conscious.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Good info.  I am going to check one of these out.

Max
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:18:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Pitt Co. Wildlife Club here in Greenville does the SASS Cowboy 3 gun shoots. Those guys spend an insane amount of money for top quality replica cowboy guns, clothes, and memorabilia. There is one guy who comes about once a month or so that brings some Class 3 stuff to rent for the day but you have to shoot his ammo. As far as high powered rifle matches I hadn't seen any of those since I was in Virginia a few years ago.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Also check local matches in the sticky above
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top