Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2005 6:23:37 PM EDT
I am new to NC and looking for info on open carry.

I saw a post by MrKrink here: linky

He said open carry is A-OK in NC. Is this true?

Assuming he is right, what experience do you have with this?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't open carry in incorporated areas.

Basically if you are not carrying in  a city full of sheeple, you should be OK.

OF course guns are banned in state and federal parks due to fears of poaching.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#2]
One can open carry if they want.  If you do so, expect to have a police officer eventually talk to you about it.  The being said; I dont recommend open carry since you give up the element of suprise should things go wrong and you are present.
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 7:03:23 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Don't open carry in incorporated areas.

Basically if you are not carrying in  a city full of sheeple, you should be OK.

OF course guns are banned in state and federal parks due to fears of poaching.

CRC

Incorporated areas? Huh?
Link Posted: 7/7/2005 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#4]
towns, cities like Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#5]
NC Gun law:

6. GOING ARMED TO THE TERROR OF THE PEOPLE
By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself with any
unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public
highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court has said that any
gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore persons
are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.

Use discretion where you carry, I wanted to organize an open carry "gathering" but after reviewing this I realize the purpose would be in conflict with the law.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
As someone else said corporate areas like banks and other major corporate buildings would be a no no.
Also, establishments serving alchohol, schools of higher learning or of course any place posting signage forbidding weapons of any kind.
Get ready to be eye balled and as the officer said possibly questioned about it by a LEO.

I'd get a concealed permit.
Out of sight, out of mind.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I plan on getting a concealed carry permit, but I also want to be able to open carry if the law allows and I have some reason to do so.

I have contacted the Attorney General office as well and will post an update with their reply.

Link Posted: 7/9/2005 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Good deal.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
NC Gun law:

6. GOING ARMED TO THE TERROR OF THE PEOPLE
By common law in North Carolina, it is unlawful for a person to arm himself with any
unusual and dangerous weapon, for the purpose of terrifying others, and go about on public
highways in a manner to cause terror to others. The N.C. Supreme Court has said that any
gun is an unusual and dangerous weapon for purposes of this offense. Therefore persons
are cautioned as to the areas they frequent with firearms.

Use discretion where you carry, I wanted to organize an open carry "gathering" but after reviewing this I realize the purpose would be in conflict with the law.

Ok, but if you did a group gathering where we all open carried, our intentions aren't to terrify and scare people, so I don't know if we'd get busted on that terror of the people bullshit or not.  If we're all just out there being peaceable citizens, with our pistols in holsters, and acting like, decent, respectable people, then there should not be a problem.  But, if we're out there, acting a fool, running at / toward people while armed, flailing guns around etc etc...then ok, that's terror to the public in my book.  

And in regards to the main post, I've open carried here in Charlotte numerous times.  Everyone from police officers and dealers at my local gunstore have told me it's perfectly ok to do so.  I haven't done so since I've obtained my concealed carry permit, but I still have that option.  

ETA : Forgot to add my experiences with open carry.  Generally, no one has said a thing to me while I've open carried.  Hell, 50% of the time they DONT EVEN SEE IT.  And it's on my hip, plain sight.  I was at a local drug store, at which I used to work, getting some digital prints made.  Most of the prints had pictures of my firearms I was sending to my father back out in Oklahoma.  She was all "ew guns are scary" and all that nonsense, and she had said something, about if I ever take it anywhere, and I said, "yeah, it's right here on my hip"  She didn't even know it was there until I said that, even though it was in plain sight, and I was standing right in front of her.  

On another occasion, while waiting in a line, a woman asked, "is that a real gun?"  sigh.  No, I just carry around a BB gun lady.  But I of course didn't say that, I just said yeah, and explained the law a little to her, and she was cool about it all.  

The one thing I don't like about it, is like many have said, you DO lose the element of surprise.  I open carried into one of our walmarts, and I had a large group of kids, probably about 16-18 years of age near me.  One of them noticed it while I was standing by my friend, and he pointed, and a chain reaction, all of them started looking and saying shit to themselves.  Then, they'd start walking really close to me, behind me and such.  I put my arm over the weapon so it would make it a little more difficult for one of them to grab it, because you never know.  I don't like that aspect of open carry.  This is another reason why I prefer concealed carry now.

If you do open carry, just know your surroundings, and be safe.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 8:11:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in the Raleigh/Wake Forest area. I see a few LEO's on a regular basis, so I think I'll just ask some and see what their take on it is.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#11]
what'cha find out Richy?
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:50:59 AM EDT
[#12]
The point of the organized open carry demonstrations that were going on around the country i.e. Ohio, and other states was to bring attention to the law makers in those states so they could have concealed carry laws made and put on the books. The sheeple got so worried about guns in the open that those laws were passed.

I don't see any reason that we in NC need to open carry, because we already had CCW laws, but I do understand the premise behind it (flexing our rights). I would attend an open carry rally here in NC without hesitation, but as stated above:

Kind of like a "catch 22"

I suggest that if you want to organize a open carry rally then contact those who have put them on and carried them out without incident. www.ohioccw.org/.

www.ncgun.com/ or www.grnc.org/ may be the places to start here in NC
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 3:10:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I used to carry open all the time all over the state. Like someone mentioned before, most people NEVER saw my weapon. Those that did just looked at you a little more. I NEVER was questioned once by a LEO on my carrying, even when pulled over. Hell Sheriff Hegee pulled me and didnt even ask me about it. (Yeah I got a speeding problem) I did find after a while that I didnt want the attention so I switched to concealed (I had a CCW when I carried open, just depended on what I wore as to if it got covered.) I think alot of it depends on how you carry yourself while in public with a firearm. I have even gotten into disputes with store managers who tried to through me out and put them in their place due to no sign saying "No Guns". They would call the police and they would politely tell the amanger the state law and that was that! Just be cautious and know when to avoid a potential confrontation and you will be fine. I would recommend that you just get a CCW and eliminate the problem all together.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
what'cha find out Richy?

OK, quite a bit of time has passed . . .

I got no reply from the AG's office.

I am still looking around for another way to get clarification.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top