Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2005 4:14:15 PM EDT
I put this here because I have yet to find a clear answer so I am asking residents of NC who have bought NFA items before. I am interested in getting a sound suppressor but have been told there are iffy requirements in NC. One source says that you need to have an fll (C&R works too) to buy NFA items in NC and another source says that what is required is a county permit. Im totally confused and need a good clean answer. Which is it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:24:49 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know of, there are no special permit requirements to purchase an NFA item.  Simply complete the normal paperwork and see if your CLEO will sign off on it.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Sound Suppressors are OK thanks to a 1983 law.

You just have to be licensed by the BATFE.

Machineguns have special requirements.

Search Chapter 14 of the state statutes.

It's in there.

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
§ 14‑288.8. Manufacture, assembly, possession, storage, transportation, sale, purchase, delivery, or acquisition of weapon of mass death and destruction; exceptions.

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to manufacture, assemble, possess, store, transport, sell, offer to sell, purchase, offer to purchase, deliver or give to another, or acquire any weapon of mass death and destruction.

(b) This section does not apply to:

(1) Persons exempted from the provisions of G.S. 14‑269 with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in while carrying out their duties.

(2) Importers, manufacturers, dealers, and collectors of firearms, ammunition, or destructive devices validly licensed under the laws of the United States or the State of North Carolina, while lawfully engaged in activities authorized under their licenses.

(3) Persons under contract with the United States, the State of North Carolina, or any agency of either government, with respect to any activities lawfully engaged in under their contracts.

(4) Inventors, designers, ordnance consultants and researchers, chemists, physicists, and other persons lawfully engaged in pursuits designed to enlarge knowledge or to facilitate the creation, development, or manufacture of weapons of mass death and destruction intended for use in a manner consistent with the laws of the United States and the State of North Carolina.

(c) The term "weapon of mass death and destruction" includes:

(1) Any explosive or incendiary:

a. Bomb; or

b. Grenade; or

c. Rocket having a propellant charge of more than four ounces; or

d. Missile having an explosive or incendiary charge of more than one‑quarter ounce; or

e. Mine; or

f. Device similar to any of the devices described above; or

(2) Any type of weapon (other than a shotgun or a shotgun shell of a type particularly suitable for sporting purposes) which will, or which may be readily converted to, expel a projectile by the action of an explosive or other propellant, and which has any barrel with a bore of more than one‑half inch in diameter; or

(3) Any firearm capable of fully automatic fire, any shotgun with a barrel or barrels of less than 18 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches, any rifle with a barrel or barrels of less than 16 inches in length or an overall length of less than 26 inches, any muffler or silencer for any firearm, whether or not such firearm is included within this definition. For the purposes of this section, rifle is defined as a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder; or

(4) Any combination of parts either designed or intended for use in converting any device into any weapon described above and from which a weapon of mass death and destruction may readily be assembled

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got one myself. There are no special requirements to get it, but for what I understand certain sheriffs will not sign off on it. That is one of the requirments on the BATF paper work. I'm in Buncombe county, Bobby Medford will most likely sign it if your in this area.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, ok its becoming clearer now. I think im gonna try to Incorporate (if possible) to try to save time.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
1st.... go ask the sheriff in the county you live in if he will sign off on the required paperwork.
If he knows nothing about it explain it to him. The sheriff where I live has NEVER been asked to sign off on the proper paperwork untill I asked him....I had to explain it to him!!!
If he will not sign form a corperation or move.
If he will sign....find a FFL holder that has a class III SOT,find the can / suppressor that you want order it and have your dealer send the company his FFL/SOT. Fill out the aproperiate ATF paperwork (Form 4 x2-fingerprint card x2) and send off to ATF with $200 check or money order...then...sit back and wait.

PM me if you need any more info!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sound Suppressors are OK thanks to a 1983 law.

You just have to be licensed by the BATFE.

Machineguns have special requirements.

Search Chapter 14 of the state statutes.

It's in there.

Do you have a link to this 1983 Law
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 11:02:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Read my post above.

All it did was add suppressors to the Weapons of Mass Death and Destruction statute.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top