Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2005 7:19:53 PM EDT
I am looking into buying either a Liberty or Cannon safe (approx 35 cuft model).  Talton's in Garner carries Liberty and Davi's carries Cannon.  The guys at Talton's seemed to be much more informed about the specs and features of the Liberty than did Davi's and the Cannon.  Of course, safes and security systems are Talton's only business.  The Liberty is about $250 more than the comparable Cannon, but it also appears to have some more features.  My question is if anyone on this site has purchased a safe from either place and would recommend one or the other (based on the quality of the safe, service, and people) or if you would recommend someplace else to check?  I have noticed that not much good has been said about Davi's when it comes to other aspects (range and gun prices).
Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Ill tell you i bought a DRAKE safe years ago for my shop and would not have anything else there prices were good and these things are HEAVY DUTY! they are boiler plate steel all the way around and heavy steel doors give me a call if you need there Number i dont sell them but do have ther info.
Red
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, Red.  Is this the number you have for Drake...366-597-5059 out of Roxboro?
John
Link Posted: 2/18/2005 9:21:42 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on Drake. A buddy of mine has one and (with no rod or anything) he has never had any problem with rust. If you do get one put a lot of thought as to where you want to put it. You only want to move it once.
-JR
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am looking into buying either a Liberty or Cannon safe (approx 35 cuft model).  Talton's in Garner carries Liberty and Davi's carries Cannon.  The guys at Talton's seemed to be much more informed about the specs and features of the Liberty than did Davi's and the Cannon.  Of course, safes and security systems are Talton's only business.  The Liberty is about $250 more than the comparable Cannon, but it also appears to have some more features.  My question is if anyone on this site has purchased a safe from either place and would recommend one or the other (based on the quality of the safe, service, and people) or if you would recommend someplace else to check?  I have noticed that not much good has been said about Davi's when it comes to other aspects (range and gun prices).
Thanks for your thoughts/opinions.

I just bought a Cannon American Eagle last weekend from Shooter's Express in Mt. Holly.  I know that is quite a hike for you, but I assure you that they probably have the best prices and selection of Cannon's in the state.  Plus, if you check Cannon's website, I think they have the absolute best warranty in the business.

If you want to look at some other models before you buy, Hyatt Guns in Charlotte has a huge safe showroom with many different brands/models.
Link Posted: 2/19/2005 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Liberty safe that I got from Perry's in Wendell (919-365-4200).  I now most of the people in there and didn't have any worries about the 2 guys that put the safe in my house.  That is my biggest concern with something like that.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#6]
taht is the last# I have
Red
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 5:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a Liberty safe that I got from Perry's in Wendell (919-365-4200).  I now most of the people in there and didn't have any worries about the 2 guys that put the safe in my house.  That is my biggest concern with something like that.  

I've been a Perry's customer for well over 10 years and bought an American Security Products safe there in the mid 90's, dunno if they sell that brand anymore.  Perry's is great.  Ask for Jon or Walter if you show up there on a Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2005 6:07:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Another plug for Perry's on safes.  However I have always wanted to go in Taltons on 401 south out of Garner.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want to do a little driving, come west on I-40 to Mace Sports in Mebane just off Buckhorn Road. They carry a lot of Canon safes and also Liberty I think. Large selection and fair prices. Dont forget to check out the guns they have got!!! Nice folks, nice shop. Call 919-563-4070.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 12:06:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought my liberty from Taltons. They delivered it up to the second floor and put it in a very tight spot that I wanted it placed into. No problems, they had the equipment and did it in less time than it takes to tell you about it.

Very professionial all the way around. Taltons also changed the numbers to something I could remember (not obvious like a bday or phone #) so I didn't have to stay with the factory default.

I thought I got a fair deal only problem is the safe is too small now.

No matter who you buy it from or what brand:

1. Know where you want it before it shows up.
2. Measure
3. Have lighting/power (interior/GoldenRod dehumidifier?) figured out in advance.
4. Measure again.
5. Buy Biggest safe you can afford. It's always too small.
6. If safe too big, buy toys to fill it.
7. Don't forget floor loading, weight per sq.ft. both empty and loaded.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I also bought through Perry's in Wendell about six yrs. ago. Great guys to deal with all the way around. They had a deal where if you bought three safes (three of us were all looking and did buy) you could get the safes at wholesale(about 35% off). Paid $1485 for a $2200 safe. Did have to move it myself, but five guys, 2 hours, and much straining later it was no problem.
Link Posted: 2/21/2005 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Cannon cause the dealer was moving his store and didn't want to move the safes so he had a sale.  

A buddy at work has a Drake, he gave a little above $1,000 for it I think, but I don't know the model so that doesn't help you one bit.  But he is very happy with it.

You'd be hard pressed to find a crappy safe I think, unless you go cheap.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2005 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks to all that have provided feedback.  You've given me more to think about.  I hadn't given Perry's consideration, they're not too far....looks like I'll have to take a drive this Saturday.

John
Link Posted: 2/23/2005 7:36:43 AM EDT
[#14]
My father-in-law bought a Liberty from Talton's a few years back. He was very pleased with their service and pricing. This speaks highly of Talton's because can be an absolute sob when dealing with sales people.  Good luck in your quest.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#15]
I was at Davi's night before last looking at Cannons, and at Talton's today looking at Liberty's.

The guy at Talton's (Ray Talton), actually waited after closing time for me to drive down from the Triangle, then put up with me asking questions for the better part of an hour.

I agree that, on balance, I'd most likely be more comfortable buying from Talton's than from Davi's. Talton's is a safe and locksmith shop. Davi's is a bit of everything.

Additionally, Davi's uses a service which charges $200+ to deliver the safe to your garage, whereas Talton's delivers and installs for half that.

My biggest PITA is deciding which safe to buy. I'm torn between Cannon, Champion, and Liberty. Just when I think I've got the decision nailed down, something else pops up and screws it all up for me again.

If anyone has any recommendations concerning Cannon vs. Liberty, I'm all ears.
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a Cannon American Eagle series.  It only has bolts on the side opposite of the hinge.  That means if someone were to gain a purchase point to put sufficient force on the hinges, they could get the door off.  Granted the hinges are not exposed, but I would prefer to have a door with exposed hinges and bolts on all four sides.  The exterior hinges gives you a greater amount of swing on the door, greater than 90º if IIRC.

If I had to do it over I might try for one of those new Browning corner safes.  There is a safe service center here in Greenboro on Huffman Street.  They sell a lot of used safes that really worth their weight.  I went inside one day on a call there with the Fire Dept.  They have them stacked to the ceiling, and almost all can be carpeted on the inside for a modest price.  It might be worth your while to give them a call.

Southern Safes & Vaults Inc
829 Huffman St, Greensboro, NC 27405  
(336) 274-1525
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 3:15:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:Local guy shows up and can't get the safe open.   quote]

who was the local guy................
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 3:20:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Granted the hinges are not exposed, but I would prefer to have a door with exposed hinges and bolts on all four sides.  The exterior hinges gives you a greater amount of swing on the door, greater than 90º if IIRC.

That is correct.

I left behind my National Security safe. The hinges on that model are on the outside, with bolts on all four sides. The door swings 180 degrees.

If itn wasn't for the fact it costs twice as much as I'm ready to pay, I'd get a National Security Magnum. DAMN those things are nice!
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 3:21:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I bought a Cannon 30 a couple of years ago, mostly because of their warranty.  

<snip>

I also have a Liberty Lincoln that's about 14 years old.  Never had a problem with it.  Both are 30 cubic foot models.

Yet ANOTHER worthless post! I'm torn between Cannon and Liberty! Somebody help!

And NO, I can't get both!
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:00:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I bought a Cannon 30 a couple of years ago, mostly because of their warranty.  

<snip>

I also have a Liberty Lincoln that's about 14 years old.  Never had a problem with it.  Both are 30 cubic foot models.

Yet ANOTHER worthless post! I'm torn between Cannon and Liberty! Somebody help!

And NO, I can't get both!

Let's try a little tough love.

Stop your whining you sniveling bitch and go buy the biggest Liberty you can afford from Taltons! Where else are you going to get a decent price and great service/install? Do it, do it NOW.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Let's try a little tough love.

Stop your whining you sniveling bitch and go buy the biggest Liberty you can afford from Taltons! Where else are you going to get a decent price and great service/install? Do it, do it NOW.

Yes, Your Royal Majestic Graciousness!

Link Posted: 5/6/2005 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Cannon has the better warranty.  They provide service at your place.  Liberty requires you to ship your safe to them at your cost for evaluation.

That pretty well settles it, then....

I wish I had the jack for a Brown

I wish I had the jack for a National Security Magnum!
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 9:39:32 AM EDT
[#26]
A few quick tips:

1. Verify what delivered means, as in to the door or inside the house. Some folks will quote delivered and stop at the driveway then try to hustle you for more cash to get the unit moved inside where you want it.

2. Get enough hand truck if you're doing the move yourself. Heavy duty with the tip back wheels and a strap works wonders. Several pieces of counduit works pretty good on flat surfaces. A few able bodies assistants never hurts either.

3. Get the biggest that you can afford without sacrificing features such as fire lining, etc. You'll be surprised how quick that thing will fill up.

4. Secure the unit to the house. You got it in, somebody can get it out. It won't stop a determined thief, but it will discourage a flunkie. In this case, Time=Money.

5. Dehumidifier

Keith

P.S. Wouldn't this short list, plus some other good suggestions make a good sticky?  
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#27]
It took me a while, but I finally decided on the Liberty from Perry's in Wendell.  Talked with Barry Perry for about an hour and decided on the Franklin 35.   His delivery is more than Talton's but the final delivered price was less on the same safe.  Due to the >800 lbs, I made arrangements for the guys that Perry's uses to deliver and install, I didn't want to risk the safe or the walls of the house.  They were extremely careful and the safe is in without a mark.    The safe is not too small....yet; it's big enough that it will take me some time to fill it, even after sharing some of the space with my wife.
Thanks to all for your comments and opinions.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 6:32:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Well, I'm well and truly screwed now. I was going to get a Drake (saw them at the gunshow, and they were AWESOME!), but now that I'll be relocating to Laredo, I'm wondering if I should bother. I'll have to pay for that beast to be shipped...

WAIT A MINUTE!

I can have my COMPANY pay the shipping!
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:02:46 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Buy the Drake, and have the movers pick it up at his shop.

I still haven't found that box of palusol tape.  The basement's a wreck.

Hell, I'll just have him ship it, and bill me seperately for the freight!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top