Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/6/2005 9:35:22 AM EDT
well, living in Raleigh, it's extremely hard to find somewhere to just go and shoot a .22. what are the laws about going into the woods and shooting? and does anyone know of any land where i can go and shoot?
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't find Wake county ordinances online, but you can check Wake Gov and give them a call WakeGov

It's easier and less hassle to join a local range, see Ranges tacked on top of this category.  You have PHDSH, Wake County Firearm Safety Center, SSI, DRPC, DCWC, Davi's , etc
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 12:36:19 PM EDT
[#2]
yea, goin to a range is fun, but the only one i found worthwhile, i can't afford.  went to Davi's a couple times, but it gets old shooting at a paper target.  i just need somewhere i can go to shoot cans or something without getting the cops called on me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot at ground targets at SSI (Shooting Sports Inc) .  Visit Young Guns in Apex for information.   I may be going out there later this month and will send an invite if anyone else is interested.  Last time I did an invite no one responded , but it was short notice, got a new rifle on a Tuesday and had to try it out that Saturday.  There's no big wide public spaces I know of in Wake county.  There used to be.  About 10 years or so back there was a place peopled called "The Hole" by Sharon Harris but it got shut down.
If you shoot on gamelands the warden will get you.  Private property you'll get the sheriff after you for tresspassing.  That's just reality unless you know someone with their own land and can get permission to shoot.

Vaguely, Wake county rules as I know them, but it's just going by memory, so fwiw:

- if you're caught shooting on someone's property without written permission from the land owner it's against the law
- no shooting 1000 feet from a dwelling or roadway.  Maybe 300 feet, I forget.
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#4]
There is the wake county range off of holly springs road, but you have to use commercial ammo.  With a 22 that should not be a problem.  My fav is Personal Handgun and Defense off of Tryon Rd.  They are good people there.  Plus there is a good burger joint next door.

Link Posted: 1/6/2005 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for all the replies! i know it's probably stupid to ask, but does anyone around Raleigh have land and want to shoot w/ me? i can bring a couple AR-15s and some .22s.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:57:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
There is the wake county range off of holly springs road, but you have to use commercial ammo.  With a 22 that should not be a problem.  My fav is Personal Handgun and Defense off of Tryon Rd.  They are good people there.  Plus there is a good burger joint next door.

Is that a new rule, you have to use commercial ammo?  I've shot reloads there every time I've been there but havaen't been there for over a year since I can shoot at my current 2 clubs I'm a member of
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]
found this link off of DRPC web page for area ranges Link
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
assaultrifler,

The last time I went there, was about two years ago.  I was using surplus ammo.  I had been there plenty of times before and never had a problem, I even knew a few by name.  When I walked in, there were four guys, and all of them pounced on me at once.  They used a magnet on my ammo, and told me I could not use it because it would ruin the backstop.  They were rude and obnoxious, and never once tried to speak with me as an adult.  I was told that I had to buy ammo from them to shoot there.  Again, I wish that one of them had spoken with me about the issue, man to man, without being brow beat by four at once.  I did not appreciate the way they treate dme or the way I have seen others treated there either.  Those guys basicaly have a range all to themselves, and are a bit stingy with it.  I have not been back since, and would not recommend anyone go there to shoot.  I understood about the backstop, I was just treated rudely.  These guys seem to me to have an elitist viewpoint, and I hope they do not treat new gunowners that way when they show up to shoot.

Other's may have had a different experience, but that was mine.  

Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
assaultrifler,

The last time I went there, was about two years ago.  I was using surplus ammo.  I had been there plenty of times before and never had a problem, I even knew a few by name.  When I walked in, there were four guys, and all of them pounced on me at once.  They used a magnet on my ammo, and told me I could not use it because it would ruin the backstop.  They were rude and obnoxious, and never once tried to speak with me as an adult.  I was told that I had to buy ammo from them to shoot there.  Again, I wish that one of them had spoken with me about the issue, man to man, without being brow beat by four at once.  I did not appreciate the way they treate dme or the way I have seen others treated there either.  Those guys basicaly have a range all to themselves, and are a bit stingy with it.  I have not been back since, and would not recommend anyone go there to shoot.  I understood about the backstop, I was just treated rudely.  These guys seem to me to have an elitist viewpoint, and I hope they do not treat new gunowners that way when they show up to shoot.

Other's may have had a different experience, but that was mine.  

that sucks, I was worried that I couldlnt shoot reloads there anymore and had to use only commercial loads.  So the prohibition is on the steel core stuff.  That's a common rule, but rudeness shouldn't be part  a part of it.  I know one of the guys that works there since he's a member of my skeet club as well so I never got rudeness from him or others.

My biggest complaint about the indoor range is the lighting sucks.  I can't see the sights on my gun, the lights too dim at the shooting station.  Other than that it is a rather fine indoor range as far as indoor ranges go except they dont have mechanical target retrieval systems.  I do like the 100 yard rifle range though, that's rare for an indoor range.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Assaultrifler,

I may have been to strong in my statement above.  I understood the why just not the way it was conveyed.  I do not get to go out and shoot much, when I do I bring ammo, mags (usually to be function tested) and plan to shoot 100-200 rnds.  That day I had two Meprolight dot scopes to zero as well.  Instead of one person explaining the situation to me, there were four guys kinda working me, talking at the same time.

Anywho, the whole thing just left a bad taste in my mouth.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:16:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the indoor range only for function testing the last time I went was a total waste it was 30 Deg out side and not much better inside I was the only one on the rifle range and i wanted them to leave the fans off on that end not much chance of having lead poisining but Oh No could not do that so i had a 30 kt wind blowing up my butt and i was so cold I could not feel my fingers. It was reddiculus! Also the guys who run it can be notoriously snobby not all of them but some. As you all know I am a proffessional when it comes to guns and i hold 3 different instructors ratings so believe me it is irritating when i have some range helper with a power trip chattering in my ear about uncasing guns except on the line that in it self is a saftey hazard if you get to much gear on the line you are bound to trip over something and will probably put a nice big crevas in your scull from the tables.. And how many guns i have at one time. I always try to go now only when the Sherrif Dept or NCHP are using it unfortunatly it is not open to the public then I usualy am able because I do a little work for those guys from time to time. Sir walter Raleigh gun club runs it and from what I understand they get over a 100 grand a year budget to run it and they dont pay the utilities or insurance. That is what i was told anyway. I fear if it continues to be an unpleasent place to shoot it will not survive. I was also told by the managers that the hours were regulated by the county but I spoke with some of the county deputies and they say that is not the case. Oh well we will probably lose the place if this continues. Also i have to say i get irritated when someone comes over and tells me i cant shoot prone because I may hit the target frame or skip it off the floor. well if i was that bad a shot i should not be shooting.

Red
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top