Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2005 5:26:09 PM EDT
I posted this in the Hometown forum also

Well I live on 5 acres of land out in Hoke county Raeford NC.

My neibors(100+ feet away) have no issues with my shooting, but I am curious as to the actual NC law (distance from neibors house when shooting).

I bump fire every now and again, which is still not a problem with them, I just worry that someone down the road might get a wild hair and call the law.

I just want to make sure im doing the right thing. I know most of the county deputies, one of which has a AK-47(semi) himself, I just want to educate myself just in case.

Thanks
FREE
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Good question.  I am planning on building a house on 8-10 acres and was wondering if it would be ok for me to shoot on my property.
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 8:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Go get a NC Hunting regulations guide. It should give you an idea in there. In our Georgia Hunting regs booklet that the state puts out every year ( Free ) and normally at all Wal Marts and K marts it state how far you can hunt from a Public Rd and Public residance. While hunting distance and shooting distance I would think would be the same or close anough .IMO. State laws differ . BUT LET ME SAY PLEASE HAVE A GOOD BACKSTOP. Not just shooting into some woods.I mean a steep hillside or Pushed up dirt bank, ect.......  Invite your neighbors over to shoot sometimes and that will help them realise your not a Yahoo , blasting dangerously . Cheers WarDawg
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 1:20:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont know of a state law off hand that limits the distance; it usually seems dictated by the county/city.  The standard I've seen most often cited is 200' in the rural areas and none in city limits (unless at a dedicated range).
Link Posted: 1/6/2005 2:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 to NCPatrolAR's post with the previously mentioned safe backstop. Call your county Sheriff's Office and ask for the Magistrate, they should be able to answer that question (at least that's what our Magistrate just told me!)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
I work for SO in Forsyth Co. You are in violation if you are less than 300' from a dwelling. My UNDERSTANDING is that this is pretty much what most counties go by however it's not a have too so they do have their own descretion. Check your counties website and look or find ordinances. That should clear it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top