Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2004 12:48:42 PM EDT
Hello all.  Just relocated to the Raleigh area from Charleston, SC and I was wondering if any of the folks on here have a favorite range they like to go to.  I have found a couple on the net (one public and one private) but thought I'd check to see if I missed any.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
some indoor ranges owned by gun shops, look up the address in the phone book:

Indoor ranges I know of:

1) Davi's Guns
2) Personal Defense Handgun Safety Center http://www.pdhsc.com/
3) The Wake Country Firearms Center   http://www.wakegov.com/county/lawenforcement/fetc/about.htm

Outdoor Ranges/clubs:

1) Durham County Wildlife Club, mostly skeet/trap/sporting clays but has a pistol range, .22LR rifles only
2) Shooting Sports Inc up near Louisburg, visit Young Guns in Apex, NC for details
from Young Guns web page:

http://www.younggunsinc.com/ranges.htm

I'm a member of DCWC and SSI and took the safety class entiitling me to shoot at the Wake County Range.

For shooting AR's, SSI is the place to go, 100 yard/200 yard outdoor range.  You can shoot 100 yards at paper targets at the Wake County Place.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a member up at Frank's "the Range" in Oxford, DCWC and DPRC.  Durham Pistol and Rifle Club is my favorite, but it's closer to me than you ( I live in Carrboro).  Rifles out to 300 yards, three separate ranges for "general purpose," pistol, rifle and they've got an action pit.  Frank's is oriented more towards competative shooting.  And DCWC is oriented towards shotgun shooting.  They have a pistol range but it's restrictive and it kind of sucks.  

I've been to SSI and it's very nice.  Probably convenient to you.  There is a waiting list for membership.  

PDHSC is a great place (but no rifles)
Davi's sucks (but you can use rifles)

Never been to Wake County but I hear it's nice.  

What part of Raliegh are you in?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:41:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm a member up at Frank's "the Range" in Oxford, DCWC and DPRC.  Durham Pistol and Rifle Club is my favorite, but it's closer to me than you ( I live in Carrboro).  Rifles out to 300 yards, three separate ranges for "general purpose," pistol, rifle and they've got an action pit.  Frank's is oriented more towards competative shooting.  And DCWC is oriented towards shotgun shooting.  They have a pistol range but it's restrictive and it kind of sucks.  

I've been to SSI and it's very nice.  Probably convenient to you.  There is a waiting list for membership.  

PDHSC is a great place (but no rifles)
Davi's sucks (but you can use rifles)

Never been to Wake County but I hear it's nice.  

What part of Raliegh are you in?  

Assume you're replying to me instead of JasonCap since you rattled off  your experiences with the ranges I listed....

I'm near the Cary Crossroads area of Raleigh.   You shoot much skeet?
Non Wake County residents can shoot at the Wake county range, they just charge you $5 more per hour.  Range is nice except the lighting  is on the poor side , you can't see  your pistol sights sometimes.  I'm going to SSI Sunday morning if you're interested.  Send me an IM.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually just offering my own opinions to both posts.   Because I like to hear the sound of my own voice.    I spent a lot of time searching for a good range, and learned a bit along the way.  

There's an email on the way.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:14:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info!  Just in case you were asking me, I live over near NC State pretty close to I-40.  I've been to Davi's and while it is a nice range, I didn't much care for the folks there (one look at their gun prices kind of turned me off to them).  I was planning on checking out the Wake County range in Apex - how is the range set up there?  Can you bring sandbags/rests for rifle shooting?  Do they have chairs/benches or do I need to bring my own?  I was also considering joining DPRC since they have a 300 yd range.  Folks out there pretty decent?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:39:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info!  Just in case you were asking me, I live over near NC State pretty close to I-40.  I've been to Davi's and while it is a nice range, I didn't much care for the folks there (one look at their gun prices kind of turned me off to them).  I was planning on checking out the Wake County range in Apex - how is the range set up there?  Can you bring sandbags/rests for rifle shooting?  Do they have chairs/benches or do I need to bring my own?  I was also considering joining DPRC since they have a 300 yd range.  Folks out there pretty decent?

Thanks again!

I'll send you a IM with my email address you can email me offline, if you're up for SSI (Shooting Sports Inc) Sunday leaving Crossroads area about 9:45 a.m. you're welcome to come shoot with me and a couple coworkers.  The Wake county is a pretty good range, they have chairs and you can bring sandbags, chronographs, if you want.  Ventilation is the best part of the range, big fans suck out all the gunsmoke.  The downside is I think the  lighting isn't all that good, it's hard to see your gun's sights at times.   If we hook up I could draw a map to it, but it's pretty easy to find, you might want to show up there on one of their scheduled orientation sessions, show up about 15 minutes early,  and get your "membership" card.

http://www.wakegov.com/county/lawenforcement/fetc/schedule.htm

I say "membership" card because you don't really need to join as a member and pay a yearly fee like the private ranges and clubs and shooting fees once you get your card is $10 an hour, pretty cheap!

Between DCWC and SSI I hardly use the Wake County range because I can shoot for free almost, after I pay their yearly dues of course.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks again!

Yeah folks at DPRC are great.  Send me an IM and if you want to go check out the range sometime.  The range is about 5 minutes from exit 154 off of I-40/I-85.  So you're looking at roughly 40 miles from Raleigh.  That said, there are a lot of folks who drive from as far as High Point, Raleigh, Fayetteville areas, because it's such a nice range.   If you shoot competatively, (i.e. IDPA or 3-gun), you may want to head up to Franks in Oxford.  It'll be a lot closer to you and it has a 325 yard rifle range.  Only caveat is that you would have to shoot a match before Frank will let you join.  It's his form of "damage control."  He considers competitors to be the safest shooters, so he wants to see someone shoot a competition before he gives them permission to use his range.  It's no more of a hassle than a "safety class" and a heck of a lot more fun.  SSI is another great option for Raleigh residents, and (now that I know who he is) Assaultrifler is a good guy and can tell you all about it.    
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Jasoncap/Wolfie: too bad you all  couldnt make SSI today...

got there about 11:00, I brought a Colt sporter lightweight, a Beretta 92fs, a glock 19, a Beretta stampede, shooting buddy brought a Beretta storm, Kimber TLE II 45 acp, a Marlin 45-70, a Romanian semi AK,  and Mossberg pump.

about 1000 rds later we declared the range safe for democracy

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:55:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I'm sorry I had to miss it.  But, them's the breaks.  Let me know if you're headed up that way again! For that matter if anyone wants to check out DPRC, send me an IM.  
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Hate I missed that range session!  Keep me posted on the next time you are heading out and we can all throw some lead downrange for a little while!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top