Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2004 1:53:31 PM EDT
The wife and I are beginning to plan our move from Cincinnati to happen in two to four years.

She has heard some good things about the Wilmington area and in conducting preliminary research, it appears to be a nice, affordable area.

She's a Pharmacy Technician and I am a Network Engineer.

We have a grown daughter who should be finishing her degree in 18-24 months so it's up in the air as to whether she would be accompanying us or not.

What can you guys tell me about the area?  Any other recommendations in the Carolinas?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Went to school for 2 yrs there(UNCW).
Loved it,wished I had stayed.
Lots of history there.
I havn't been down in years.
GLOCK-23
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 5:23:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Graduated from UNCW in 2002 (Go Seahawks!)
Spent 12 years living there  (Every single hurricane that went through there!)
Loved it and wish I had never left

Prospect of making a decent living: 10-15%

Those that make the money there are in one of few industries:  real estate,  food service,  or tourism.  Even then, if you're not the person that owns the business chances are you'll be working for peanuts for them.

Don't get me wrong.  I love the town and miss it dearly.  I plan on heading back one day, but that's after I've made some money, 'cause unless you're in one of those particular businesses, chances are you'll be struggling.

Ever been through a hurricance?  We had fun in 1996 after Fran came through.............and we didn't have power for 15 days.  That's real fun working all day in the heat ('cause stores open with or without power, no A/C) and then coming home to a cold shower and hanging out around the house with nothing to do but sweat.  Like curfews?  Hope so, they sometimes have to enforce them to stop looting.  Like un invited house guests?  Better get used to it, 'cause when they find out you've got power, you end up with like 1000 'friends' that just want to hang out.

Add to that the fact that property prices are sky rocketing there, it is also becoming expensive to live there.  

I always get a kick out of how many Northerners flock to our state.  In the most recent US Census information, NC has become the 10th most populated state in the Union.  Hmmmmm, I wonder how many folks moved here from up North?

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey for you It could be the best move. I moved down to a small town about 45 to 50 miles west
of Wilmington. I moved from Longisland NY and yes its a different way of life. Dont let anyone
discourauge you. My wife and I have said to each other that this was the best move we ever
made. We are about 35 minets from N. Myrtle Beach and 20 minets from Ocean Isle Beaches.
My wife is a nurse and Im a GM auto tech. I have worked in Wilmington and it has all the big
stores and places to see But I perfer the country. I will admit that the last post did state you
will work for less for someone else and you would be better off in your own bizz. He's right.
And you have to contend with the fact that 4 out of 5 hurricaines chouse Wilmington. Its
not as bad as they would have you think. I say move and move fast. Any other questions
you can E-mail me at [email protected]  Any way that I can help let me know and good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top