Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2004 12:51:07 PM EDT
Anyone ever been there? Ive been there a couple times now, and today almost made me explode. Needless to say I won't be going back.

I ask how much they charge to do a transfer, guy tell me "25 bucks."

Im thinking, alright, not a bad price at all I can live with it.......

"Plus 10% of the cost of the gun and South Carolina taxes on it"

WTF?! Is there some SC law they have to enter guns into their inventory to sell them, which requires them to jack up the price of your gun 10%??? Thats the explanation he gave to me, which sounds like BS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2004 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a shop where I don't need to shop.

I understand being in business, and making a profit. I run a business, myself.

I understand someone tried to break one off in you today.  

I hope you made it out with your anal cherry intact.

Xfer for $25 is fair.

Jacking it by 10% is rape.

Adding sales tax (7% more in his pocket.  He's not paying it to the State, he's pocketing it!) is anal rape.

Where is this anal rapist located?  I'll be sure to steer clear of him.
Link Posted: 4/24/2004 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Goose Creek, SC
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 3:25:09 AM EDT
[#3]
That's as wrong as, well... some things that would get this thread locked, so I'll stay on topic.

Try giving The Gun Doctor a call (761-0788).  I don't know his policy on transfers, but I've done some business with him and I believe I've been treated fairly.  His shop is on 17A going toward Moncks Corner, on the right, a couple miles before getting into MC.

Also, try a Google search for FFLs in SC.  I did one last year and came up with a couple in the local area.

I haven't done an out-of-state transfer before, so there might be something to a sales tax requirement.  Then again, maybe not.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 4/25/2004 4:11:46 AM EDT
[#4]

WTF?! Is there some SC law they have to enter guns into their inventory to sell them, which requires them to jack up the price of your gun 10%??? Thats the explanation he gave to me, which sounds like BS.

I haven't done a transfer before, but the way it seems to me they are not selling it to you.  You are paying the seller, and the FFL does the paperwork.

If anybody has firsthand knowledge & experience, feel free to correct me.  I'm just trying to look at this logically, and that doesn't always work with .gov bureaucracies.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 5:40:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Brohawk,

Thanks man, Ill look into it. I was looking up some other gunshops and I may check out a few around Charleston and Mt Pleasant before its all said and done, but Ill give your fella a holler too.

Oh yeah, and Im looking for an FFL because I am buying my first AR very soon
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Bought a AR10 last year, sent  Quantico Arms the full price of the gun myself,and the copy of the transferring dealer paperwork,  only paid the transferring dealer for the trasnsfer and his time and his paperwork, the dealer did have to recieve the gun but he never "owned the gun" or had any of his money tied up in the sale, and since the gun was bought from out of state then there was no tax due at the purchase time.
If you are buying a AR from Quantico, they have a list of transferring dealers that they have sent guns to, or if you send the paperwork to them , they will add new transferring dealer to thier list.
YMMV

Link Posted: 4/25/2004 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I haven't done a transfer before, but the way it seems to me they are not selling it to you.  You are paying the seller, and the FFL does the paperwork.

If anybody has firsthand knowledge & experience, feel free to correct me.  I'm just trying to look at this logically, and that doesn't always work with .gov bureaucracies.

Brohawk:
I can't speak for SC, but in NC the Dept. of Revenue's position is that every order or sale in NC is subject to NC sales tax. They are trying to enforce sales tax requirements on Internet & catalog sales as well, which is why some catalog companies now charge sales tax on orders shipped to NC. When I got my FFL, I asked a friend who works for NC Dept of Revenue about transfers of firearms on my license. His answer was that Raleigh says if the firearm appears in the dealer's record books (as all transfers have to do, according to ATF rules), the state deems that a sale & the purchaser has to pay sales tax. If the purchaser pays it to the dealer he orders from & can prove he paid it, the NC dealer doesn't have to collect the 7%. Otherwise, the NC dealer has to charge the tax, or run the risk of having to pay it himself (plus interest & penalties) if his books are audited.

Dept. of Revenue's position is that if an item is ordered & shipped to NC, the sale is completed in NC & sales tax applies. If you go out-of-state to purchase, you have to pay sales tax in that state anyway, so there is not much difference. Don't be surprised to see more of the catalog vendors charging sales tax in the future, because there is a sale involved, on one end of the transaction or the other. The only difference is in where the sale is completed, so one or both states will try to collect.

I'm not defending the dealer in question, because I don't know how SC handles this. He may be trying to make an extra profit for himself, or he may be required by SC law to collect sales tax, I don't know the answer to that one. I do agree that the 10% charge is a ripoff, but that's his choice. That's the nice thing about capitalism: You are always free to shop around for the best deal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 11:44:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I have been to ATP a few times and got the same impression as you.  It is one of those shops where they think they know everything and because of that, think they have to right to grossly over charge.  If you hang around there for at least 10 sec you will hear them feeding the worst BS to unknowing customers.  How they stay in business I have no idea.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have been to ATP a few times and got the same impression as you.  It is one of those shops where they think they know everything and because of that, think they have to right to grossly over charge.  If you hang around there for at least 10 sec you will hear them feeding the worst BS to unknowing customers.  How they stay in business I have no idea.

this is an exact description of what i am too kind to say

i really do not know how they get so much business
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a FFL here in Columbia that I found here on gunbroker.com (this will give you contact information and how much they charge).  He charged me $20 bucks.  No "inventory fee", no tax, nothing additional.  In fact SableCo massed up my order and lost the first FFL copy and he had to send another!  He wasn't very happy, but didn't charge me any additional.  Paperwork when I picked up my stripped lower took maybe 10 minutes.

Keep shopping for another dealer!

-Hershey
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
cool, I found a guy in summerville who does it for 20, flat rate. I think Ill look into it. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Beware- there is no cure, there is no turning back.  You are now infected with BRD.
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Beware- there is no cure, there is no turning back.  You are now infected with BRD.

LOL

i have enough money saved up for the gun i want. RRA A2, 16" barrel, fixed tele stock, hogue grips, natl match two stage trigger, just gotta wait it out or find a place to store it til i get off of this godforsaken base
Link Posted: 4/25/2004 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I have room in the safe.....
Link Posted: 5/5/2004 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a great guy in summerville.  Flat $20 rate, no tax, no handling fee, etc.  email me, and I will give you the info.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:08:25 AM EDT
[#16]

There's an old (new ownership) gun store off Hwy.41 near the 17 interchange in Mt. Pleasant.
I think it goes by Coastal firearms.  I checked it out one day last month and had a nice chat with fella who runs it.  Ended up walking out of there with a new tactical folder (CRKT).  I would recommend checking with him.  I hope he does well, I hate to see gun stores close down.  They are becoming less of a commodity with all this urban spraul.

Out, CID '89
Mt. Pleasant
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks tons for the input again everyone. Ill be checking these folks out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top