Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2003 8:56:10 PM EDT
Hi people, I'm getting ready to get my first AR (New-postban) and was wondering if anyone knows if I can legally use/own high cap mags in NC
Thanks Rick
Link Posted: 12/30/2003 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep, unless they are marked:

LEO (law enforcement only) or Gov't use only.

Danny
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Rick36:

NC for some years had a provision in the Weapons of Mass Destruction statute (NCGS 14-288.8) which made magazines holding 31 rounds or more illegal. This section was eliminated when the statute was rewritten around 1993.

So, as Minuteman419 said, unless the magazines are marked "Law Enforcement, Military, Export Use Only", or have a manufacturer's date stamp after the Assault Weapons Ban was enacted in 1994, you are perfectly legal in NC. "Pre-ban" magazines should have a date (if any) prior to 1994. Most mags manufactured prior to that date will have no date stamps at all.

You should inspect all the mags you buy to ensure that you are not getting mags which could conceivably create a legal problem for you later. There have been threads on this site saying that some members have bought from some less-than-reputable dealers who sold LEO-only mags to them. In a worst-case scenario, if you should have to use the rifle in self-defense, and the investigating officers found you in possession of a banned magazine, a call to ATF could land you in a lot of hot water even if the shooting was justified.

Good luck with your new obsession.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top