Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2003 11:20:01 AM EDT
Anyone shoot at the Rod & Gun Club on post?

Haven't been there in a while, but it's the most convenient for me and at a good price.

Besides weekends, been thinking about going there during Sergeant's Time (Wednesday's).

It would be great to put some rounds downrange with some other AR shooters.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Chris,
If you just like standing there and blasting then by all means have at it.  If you wanna do tactical shooting and practice presentations and transitions come on out to Range 1.  We have 8 25yd pistol lanes, 8 100yd rifle lanes, 2 side bays that allow you to set-up scenario's and practice moving while shooting, and a shoot house for training and matches.  Call 'em at 910-893-9887 or there website is www.range-1.com  If you wanna see what it's all about come out Saturday for our monthly three-gun match.  All the info is on the website.  Look for Nathanial and I'll show you around.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 6:48:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Nathanial .... Thanks for the info!

The main thing that keeps me at the Rod & Gun Club is cost.  I'm maintaining two households until I retire in July next year, so my funds are very tight.

Add to that my newborn daughter born last week, and my available time too is shot to hell.

I can make a quick drive to the Rod & Gun on Wednesday morning, since I don't do Sergeant's Time training.

I really appreciate the offer.  I need to get exposed to exactly what you guys are doing, and would love to try out one of the matches.

If I don't take the family somewhere this weekend, I'm going to show up Saturday and see what's going on.

Thanks again for the info .... Chris
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 1:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Chris,
While it probably costs a little bit more up front to shoot at Range 1 the benefits far outweigh the costs.  If you looked at the website you saw that it costs $13 to shoot all day.  However it only costs $3 to shoot all day for members.  Since your military it would be $150 for a year and that means you need to shoot 15 times a year to pay for your membership.  You would also go from paying 15% over there cost for guns to 10%.  Classes have a significant discount, and you get the ability to shoot when there closed with prior coordination.  If you get the chance to come out Saturday please do I promise it will be a blast if you need to borrow some guns to shoot the match let me know.  I had jaw surgery in OCT so I can't shoot a long gun till turkey day.  I'll be out there most likely and if you let me know what you need I'll bring my gear for you to borrow.  Just bring ammo.  Don't worry about your skill level there will be a huge disparity there and really there are hardly ever any swollen heads.  It's fun and you get to run and gun what more could you want?
Conrgratulation on the new daughter, and I'm a little envious of the retirement deal.  Only 12 more for me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:35:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah Chris, go to range-1.  I only spend $36 there for myself and girlfriend to shoot for an hour.  Forget about bringing your own targets, YOU HAVE TO BUY SOME OF THEIR'S TO SHOOT!  Yeah, and it was her first time shooting and she shot a 1 by 1 inch piece of wood holding the target up and they only charged us a buck a hit on the wood for that.  Not too bad of a deal considering the wood already had a bunch of holes in it all ready.  Yeah yeah, and the best part is you pay all that money and you got to sweep up all your brass and put it in the buckets they supply.  Not too mention the smart ass comments they give to ya once you find out about the $1 charge on the wood, "It's those hidden charges that way really get ya!"  

Benefits?  Hell, I pay $25 once a year on post and a buck everytime a go.  They supply the stands, shilloutes, and just leave your brass there because they got a gentleman that picks it up.  Unfortunitly,  I'll be training troops on Wednesday's.  Wait....didn't mean it to come out that way...I enjoy my guys.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:45:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yeah Chris, go to range-1.  I only spend $36 there for myself and girlfriend to shoot for an hour.  Forget about bringing your own targets, YOU HAVE TO BUY SOME OF THEIR'S TO SHOOT!  Yeah, and it was her first time shooting and she shot a 1 by 1 inch piece of wood holding the target up and they only charged us a buck a hit on the wood for that.  Not too bad of a deal considering the wood already had a bunch of holes in it all ready.  Yeah yeah, and the best part is you pay all that money and you got to sweep up all your brass and put it in the buckets they supply.  Not too mention the smart ass comments they give to ya once you find out about the $1 charge on the wood, "It's those hidden charges that way really get ya!"  

Benefits?  Hell, I pay $25 once a year on post and a buck everytime a go.  They supply the stands, shilloutes, and just leave your brass there because they got a gentleman that picks it up.  Unfortunitly,  I'll be training troops on Wednesday's.  Wait....didn't mean it to come out that way...I enjoy my guys.

Eidt to add, I go to on post range about once a month, I'd be glad to meetcha.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm from the fayetteville area but moved up towards pilot mtn.
still have family in the fayetteville area and cruise thru there fairly often.  i'll post before next trip and maybe we can shoot some.  i'd enjoy just blasting or meeting for some other matches as well.  
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
This is my third tour here, so I know what you guys are talking about "standing and blasting".

I went there about two months ago, setup on the right, uncovered side, and was able to shoot the SRM table from the new marksmanship manual, turning, lateral, moving forward/backward, left/right turns, etc.

Also no "rapid-fire" restriction like before.

In talking with the range employee there he's pretty flexible with what you do, as long as you're safe.

Not bad for the price, that's for sure.

Chris
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Chris,
Sorry the one from AndrewC was mine I was on a buddies computer.

RackedAK,
Sorry you had such a bad day at the range.  I don't know why it cost you $36 for 2 people to shoot it should have been $26 plus your frame hit plus any targets you bought.  There targets range in price from $ .25 to $2 maybe you should have watched how much you were spending.  They are very upfront about the framehits and tell you in the beggining that it's $1 per.  The frame charge is for people that come out and shoot the wood on purpose to see it fly, Like you said it's a pretty small piece you gotta try to hit it.  When you open your own range that is not subsidized by Uncle Sam I suggest you charge $1 per shooter that is a great way to make money.  Also they keep an Safety Officer out online when it gets busy so that when you go down range you can be assured no one is back there jacking around with weapons and trying to shoot you in the back.  I'v seen kids playing with guns while dad's down range more than once at Mckellar's.  They have a gunsmith on sight and knowledgable range staff to assist on the line.  Try to get one of those yahoo's at McKellar's to come out and give you a hand.  They never would for me.  If you don't like picking up your brass I'm sure they could up the price of the range fee to hire a maid but most people are capable of picking up there own trash.  I'd also be interested to know if you really had to provide your own stand.

machaira,
Anytime. I'm out there most weekends and feel free to drop me an IM and let me know when your coming into town.  If there's not a match going on I usually get a sidebay and setup scenarios to shoot on my own.  It's an additional charge for the side bays but that pays for all the props and vehicles and steel so it's pretty fair.

Link Posted: 11/6/2003 4:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Chris,
While it probably costs a little bit more up front to shoot at Range 1 the benefits far outweigh the costs.  If you looked at the website you saw that it costs $13 to shoot all day.  However it only costs $3 to shoot all day for members.  Since your military it would be $150 for a year and that means you need to shoot 15 times a year to pay for your membership.  You would also go from paying 15% over there cost for guns to 10%.  Classes have a significant discount, and you get the ability to shoot when there closed with prior coordination.  If you get the chance to come out Saturday please do I promise it will be a blast if you need to borrow some guns to shoot the match let me know.  I had jaw surgery in OCT so I can't shoot a long gun till turkey day.  I'll be out there most likely and if you let me know what you need I'll bring my gear for you to borrow.  Just bring ammo.  Don't worry about your skill level there will be a huge disparity there and really there are hardly ever any swollen heads.  It's fun and you get to run and gun what more could you want?

I really appreciate your offer.  I do have all the gear required, but since I've never competed before, I'd like to see what's going on first before going live-fire.

Congratulation on the new daughter

Thanks!  I'm happy as heck that she's "out", and the wife isn't feeling all that uncomfortable anymore.

The Baby Reaction Team has been stood down.

and I'm a little envious of the retirement deal.  Only 12 more for me.

Believe me, before you know it, you'll be there too .

Chris
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Eidt to add, I go to on post range about once a month, I'd be glad to meetcha.

Give me a heads-up through IM next time you're going to go.

Thanks! .... Chris
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#11]
"I don't know why it cost you $36 for 2 people to shoot it should have been $26 plus your frame hit plus any targets you bought. There targets range in price from $ .25 to $2"

Let me see, 2 people=$26,4 hits on the wood=$4,2 $2 targets$4.  Thats is $34, plus tax.  Trust me, she was not trying to hit the wood.  It was her very first time shooting so she couln't hit the wood if she tried.  And no, I was not told that it would cost me a buck on the wood.  I'm guessing it was a new guy that forgot to tell because he don't even know how to run a debit card.

"If you don't like picking up your brass I'm sure they could up the price of the range fee to hire a maid but most people are capable of picking up there own trash.

We pick up our own trash on post and the brass gots picked up by a retired gentleman that comes out there on his own time.  

"I'd also be interested to know if you really had to provide your own stand."

I sorry, what are you talking about?

Chris, roger that one.  Take it easy.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 9:03:06 AM EDT
[#12]
They supply the stands, shilloutes, and just leave your brass there because they got a gentleman that picks it up. Unfortunitly, I'll be training troops on Wednesday's. Wait....didn't mean it to come out that way...I enjoy my guys.

The way I read that it sure made it seem like you had to provide your own stand at Range 1

she shot a 1 by 1 inch piece of wood holding the target up and they only charged us a buck a hit on the wood for that

That sure made it sound like you only had one frame hit but now I read there was four.

2 $2 targets$4.

Like I said there targets range in price from $.25 - $2 nobody made you buy the $2 targets.

Trust me, she was not trying to hit the wood. It was her very first time shooting so she couln't hit the wood if she tried.

So you brought her out to shoot and when she left she couldn't hit a 18"x36" piece of cardboard and was still hitting the wood on the frame, maybe her instructor (you) needs to work on his teaching technique.

Link Posted: 11/7/2003 9:08:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Chris,
Hope to see you there Saturday.  Feel free to come out and watch the match and check out the range if you want.
Nathanial
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#14]
So you brought her out to shoot and when she left she couldn't hit a 18"x36" piece of cardboard and was still hitting the wood on the frame, maybe her instructor (you) needs to work on his teaching technique.

Ouch, that hurt.  Alright wise ass, we used the same stand the whole time and she shot about 100 rounds.  Do the math.  Not that bad for her first time now huh?  But your the expert.  Bet you could have her shooting the ass of a fly in 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#15]
DAMN!! where the fuck were you guys when i was at bragg?!?!  
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Your right RackedAK your an awesome instructor she shot 100 rds and she managed to get 4 on the outer edge of the target board maybe next time you can teach her a little better and she'll even get a few in the target.  Your right I have know idea how many rounds she put on target due to your excellent instruction.  I also have no idea how many totally missed the target.  All I know is everybody throws a shot now and then but if your instructor is worth a shit you shouldn't be throwing a shot 9.5" which is the minimum distance you would need to throw a shot if your aiming centermass of the board to hit the frame.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd appreciate it if you guys gave it a rest already.

Thanks .... Chris
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Chris,
It's your thread I will not rob it from you.  I'm sorry and I will not continue this conversation here.  Sorry you didn't get to make it out on sunday it was a good match.  Small turnout so it went quick but the weather was crappy.  Oh well we made noise and killed some paper and cardboard.  Let me know if you want to get together out there some time.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 7:06:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Chris,
Sorry you didn't get to make it out on sunday it was a good match.  Small turnout so it went quick but the weather was crappy.  Oh well we made noise and killed some paper and cardboard.  Let me know if you want to get together out there some time.

I'm sorry for not making it out Nathanial ....  I was looking forward to it, but the family and especially my baby had my undivided attention at 9:15 am that day, which was when I was going to leave the house.

Equipment-wise, I've been working on my thigh holster, doing some mods to it so my pistola doesn't come out when I don't want it to.

I intend to start practicing reloads and transitions, just in case I get talked into one of your matches so I don't look TOO bad out there.

Thanks again for the info, and I WILL see you out there soon! .... Chris

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah probably a good idea to try and keep that pistol in there.  LOL  We should be having a pistol match on the 4th sunday of the month so It should be this weekend, check  the site to make sure.  See you sometime.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 5:45:06 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm thinking about checking out Range One.  Do they just have year memberships or can you get memberships for 6 months?  I will be leaving in 6 months.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 4:45:42 PM EDT
[#22]
AR15,
Go talk to them they'll work with you on prorating a membership.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 7:19:46 PM EDT
[#23]
i just looked at the range 1 site.  heck, i may see about a membership and i don't even live around there now.
at least it looks to be a pretty squared away place and i can get some training with my AR as well.
no real active ranges up here - a few good ones like piedmont handgun assoc. but nothing that sounds like range 1.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top