Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2003 1:23:00 PM EDT
do you need purchase paperwork or just to be a resident of the state?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a handgun purchase permit, which is issued by the sheriff of your county of residence.  You need one permit for each handgun you want to purchase.  They cost $5 and are good for 5 years.

CCW permits are shall-issue and good for 5 years.

Link Posted: 7/11/2003 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You need a handgun purchase permit, which is issued by the sheriff of your county of residence.  You need one permit for each handgun you want to purchase.  They cost $5 and are good for 5 years.

CCW permits are shall-issue and good for 5 years.

how long does it take to get a permit?  I will be at Ft Bragg early 2004 and would like to do some handgun shooting ASAP.  
what is required to get a purchase permit? finger prints or do you just go in and ask for one?  
what about the CCW?  how long does that take?
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Shouldn't the Army issue you a M9 Beretta? Your going to be at Bragg right?

As a non-resident you can only get handguns as a collector (not sure if your Army status helps you).

You go to the local Sheriff (doesn't Bragg cover multiple counties?) and fill out an application. You pay a $5 fee and go through a background check. You must be 18+ yrs of age.

After this no NICS for gun store purchases. It's better than NY.

CRC
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Shouldn't the Army issue you a M9 Beretta? Your going to be at Bragg right?

As a non-resident you can only get handguns as a collector (not sure if your Army status helps you).

You go to the local Sheriff (doesn't Bragg cover multiple counties?) and fill out an application. You pay a $5 fee and go through a background check. You must be 18+ yrs of age.

After this no NICS for gun store purchases. It's better than NY.

CRC

not an issue gun a personal fire arm.  I would technically be issued an m9 but i cant just walk around with it.  I Will be there for a long time so i think i would change my residency.   i am 21 years old so age shouldnt be a problem.
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I think this has been posted a couple of times here by myself and NCCop, but here's a brief overview.

You must go to the Sheriff's office of the county in which you reside.  Go to the front desk and ask for a pistol purchase permit application.  Most counties require that you to have been a resident of that county for at least 6 months.  Some counties require a few more months.  You must fill out the entire form completely.  You will need 3 witnesses to vouch for you.  Two on the front page and one to fill out the last page in detail.  The witnesses can't be roommates or share the same address with you.  After you get all that, take down to the Sheriff's office and turn in.  Some counties take a lot longer than others, but it is generally dependent on the population.  Good thing you're 21, 'cause if you weren't you can forget the pistol purchase permit.  I you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best I can.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 7/11/2003 9:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think this has been posted a couple of times here by myself and NCCop, but here's a brief overview.

You must go to the Sheriff's office of the county in which you reside.  Go to the front desk and ask for a pistol purchase permit application.  Most counties require that you to have been a resident of that county for at least 6 months.  Some counties require a few more months.  You must fill out the entire form completely.  You will need 3 witnesses to vouch for you.  Two on the front page and one to fill out the last page in detail.  The witnesses can't be roommates or share the same address with you.  After you get all that, take down to the Sheriff's office and turn in.  Some counties take a lot longer than others, but it is generally dependent on the population.  Good thing you're 21, 'cause if you weren't you can forget the pistol purchase permit.  I you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best I can.

-REAPER2502

6 month wait?  damn.  i guess i will find out first hand in january
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#7]
"I think this has been posted a couple of times here by myself and NCCop, but here's a brief overview.

You must go to the Sheriff's office of the county in which you reside. Go to the front desk and ask for a pistol purchase permit application. Most counties require that you to have been a resident of that county for at least 6 months. Some counties require a few more months. You must fill out the entire form completely. You will need 3 witnesses to vouch for you. Two on the front page and one to fill out the last page in detail. The witnesses can't be roommates or share the same address with you. After you get all that, take down to the Sheriff's office and turn in. Some counties take a lot longer than others, but it is generally dependent on the population. Good thing you're 21, 'cause if you weren't you can forget the pistol purchase permit. I you have any more questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer them as best I can."

Actually, how long you have to be a resident and who you need as a reference is dependant on what county your are in also.

The county I grew up in (Orange), the Sheriff required you be a resident of the county for at least a year and provide three references who also live in the county who are not related to you.

When I moved to Alamance County I got permits less than 30 days after I moved there and used my fiance (same address as me) as a reference.  They only required one.

Wake Couty requires 30 day residence I think.  I lived there for a while, but I never got a pistol permit there.

Link Posted: 7/12/2003 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a bill before the NC general assembly that will allow holders of NC CCW permits to purchase handguns without a handgun purchase permit.  I don't know what is the current status of the bill, thou.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#9]
I have been at Ft Bragg for the last 2 years.  You will not get issued a Beretta unless you are an MP or a select few of the infantry officers.  If you do, you'll get to shoot 30 rounds each year to stay current on pictol qualifications.  So yea, buy your own gun.  Luckily there is a huge shooting community here and two nice indoor ranges right outside of post, a long range on post, and the top skeet range in the US opened a few months ago on Ft. Bragg.  Drop me an e-mail with your contact stuff and I can hook you up with all the info for when you get here.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#10]
check it out, when you get sign into your unit (not replacement) talk to your CO and tell him you want to get handgun.  then go to the MP station.  you will get two forms make fill both of them and have the CO SIGN both of them.  take them back to the MP's they keep one and you take the other one down town to the sheriff office.  they will run a back ground check and will take 3 to 4 days to pick up your permits.  they are 5 buck's a piece and you can get five at a time.  I got 4. Let me know when you get to bragg.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#11]
New Hanover County required at minimum 6 months of continuous residency and 3 witnesses.  The first two signed the front page and gave contact information.  The third filled in an affidavit on the last page.  At the time, all of the witnesses had to be people other than family and couldn't share an address with you, i.e. a roommate or boyfriend/girlfriend.  At the time I applied the front desk told you to wait about 10 business days and then call to make sure application had been approved.  When you picked up your purchase permits, you had to ask for a second.  It has been about 3 years since I applied, so stipulations may have changed.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 7/14/2003 8:11:19 PM EDT
[#12]
All countys are different as far as wait period. It takes me about 10-15 min for THEM to fill out the paperwork, me sign, pay. and out the door with 3-4-? permits. Never been asked to provide any witnesses. Never even heard of it until reading this post. My friend in Forsyth has a min 2 week wait. It is also up to the county to put a limit on how many you can buy at a time or over a certain period. (I Think) Might want to check that.

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]
How about Durham county? Anyone care to comment on thier mandatory handgun registration?

I'm forced to move to Durham this month and I'd like to know more about the registration that the county has imposed.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#14]
"How about Durham county? Anyone care to comment on thier mandatory handgun registration?

I'm forced to move to Durham this month and I'd like to know more about the registration that the county has imposed."

From what I understand, the handgun registration in Durham County is actually a state law that requires handgun registration in Durham County.

As far as getting pistol permits there, good luck.  They do their level best to make it hard to get purchase permits.

Otherwise, the Triangle is a nice place to live.

Link Posted: 7/15/2003 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#15]

the handgun registration in Durham County is actually a state law that requires handgun registration in Durham County.

? I've never heard of handgun registration being NC state law. If thats true my whole county is under [Gomer Pyle] "Citizen's arrest! Citizen's arrest![/Gomer Pyle]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Howdy,

The reason I say that it is a state law is that when I last lived in the Triangle (2000-2001), there was a debate going on as to whether the NC legislature should repeal the handgun registration law in Durham County.

Obviously that didn't happen.

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I think that the debate was on allowing Durham County to be exempt from the state law forbidding registration.  I could be wrong but from what I've read about it, it sounds like Durham County obtained an exemption from the state law, rather than it is state law for guns to be registered in Durham County.  Again, I could be wrong.

-REAPER2502
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top