Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2022 2:06:56 AM EDT
Heading your way next week for a one day class in Rolla.  I fly in and out of STL and have a spare day so I am looking for suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 2:40:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Is there a safe downtown area in STL with a hotel within easy walking distance of places with live music?
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:25:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Your are best suited to stay outside of Downtown although crime knows no boundaries Downtown ofter dark isn't the best. Better areas are outside of the highway 270 loop on the west side of town.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 12:41:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Try maid rite in Rolla. Let us know your experience.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a shame that Cookin From Scratch closed
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Downtown STL isn't a great walking around area as bars/restaurants can be pretty spread out. The Soulard area usually has live music and so does Broadway Oyster Bar depending on the night, but I would just Uber from wherever you decide to stay.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Might give that a try.

The hotel I'm staying in is within easy staggering distance of the Tater Patch which where I went a few years back the last time I was there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#7]
The four seasons is downtown.  Lots of cool stuff nearby. Just don't walk around at night
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:12:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Gross. Been here 20 years and only ate there once. Never again.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Heading your way next week for a one day class in Rolla.  I fly in and out of STL and have a spare day so I am looking for suggestions.
View Quote

Your class at S&T or somewhere else?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blasting refresher taught by one of the profs at S&T school of mines.  Last time was at the university, this time is through his consulting firm.  I went a couple of years ago and it was much more informative than anything I got from ISEE.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Gross. Been here 20 years and only ate there once. Never again.
View Quote

I wouldn’t say gross, but definitely different. People love or hate it.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's good fishing around Rolla, if that appeals to you.

Or a float trip.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wouldn’t say gross, but definitely different. People love or hate it.

View Quote

I'm solidly in the gross side. Steamed burger? Yuck!  The shakes aren't terrible, though.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:16:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Blasting refresher taught by one of the profs at S&T school of mines.  Last time was at the university, this time is through his consulting firm.  I went a couple of years ago and it was much more informative than anything I got from ISEE.
View Quote

I probably know who it is.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Might give that a try.

The hotel I'm staying in is within easy staggering distance of the Tater Patch which where I went a few years back the last time I was there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might give that a try.

Tater patch is way better than maid rite.  Maid rite and imos are one of those places where its slightly different and some people are fanatical about it.  Both worth trying but not that great.
 Truthfuly there is nothing spectacular here that you can't get elsewhere.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

There's good fishing around Rolla, if that appeals to you.

Or a float trip.
View Quote

Unfortunately I'm busy during the days.  I haven't been freshwater fishing in ages and miss it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:32:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Paul is pretty well-known
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Tater patch is way better than maid rite.  Maid rite and imos are one of those places where its slightly different and some people are fanatical about it.  Both worth trying but not that great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might give that a try.

I'll give Maid Rite a shot since it is close but Tater Patch will be my evening hang out.  Last time they had a pretty fun open mike night and food was pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 10:22:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll give Maid Rite a shot since it is close but Tater Patch will be my evening hang out.  Last time they had a pretty fun open mike night and food was pretty good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might give that a try.

The pork tenderloin sandwich at tater patch is comically huge. Tasty too
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup I know him and he's a hoot.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 1:05:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have ate at a few different imos and the one in Rolla is the best I’ve had. Closest one to me now is in Overland Park so I need to try it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I suspected it was him. You should ask him about the Botswanan Toilet Incident and ensuing sensitivity training
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 1:22:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I suspected it was him. You should ask him about the Botswanan Toilet Incident and ensuing sensitivity training
View Quote

Oh man, I forgot about that!  It's a shame it blew up like it did.  He wasn't wrong, you know.....
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#24]
You will have a fun time at rolla.   They like blowing up things there.  :)
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Oh man, I forgot about that!  It's a shame it blew up like it did.  He wasn't wrong, you know.....
View Quote

We might have the wrong Paul.  I asked Paul Worsey about it and instead got some story about some quarry fragging a nearby asphalt plant with flyrock.

Oh, yeah, not a fan of Maid Rite.  Never eaten a sloppy joe with no sauce before.

ETA: Heading to Tater Patch in about a half hour.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

We might have the wrong Paul.  I asked Paul Worsey about it and instead got some story about some quarry fragging a nearby asphalt plant with flyrock.

Oh, yeah, not a fan of Maid Rite.  Never eaten a sloppy joe with no sauce before.

ETA: Heading to Tater Patch in about a half hour.
View Quote

Yeah, I was thinking about that later and I think it was a different prof that made the comments I'm thinking of.  Actually, I know it was.  I know both of them, though.  

Yeah, I won't eat another Made Rite.  It's just gross.  I know there are a lot of people that like it but I'm not one of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top