Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 5:33:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
I got a reply from the state police.

Here's the question I sent;

"   The question comes up regularly in gun forums, whether it's legal in Missouri to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in a vehicle. I can't find any info that isn't geared towards concealable firearms, so I'm hoping to get a reply that I can re-post on some public forums."

Their reply;

"There is no law regulating the transport of loaded long guns in a vehicle in Missouri as long as the person can legally possess the guns.  We do encourage the appropriate firearms safety measures are taken.

Missouri State Highway Patrol

Assistant Director

Public Information and Education Division"
View Quote

@67Firebird

Thank you for taking the time to educate the folks that aren't educated about the laws in our state. I don't have your patience. Growing up, we always had a relationship with local law enforcement and local fish and game, so it has alway been general knowledge in my AO. This thread has really driven it home as to how many people do not know the law, much less their rights.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 1:55:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bladeswitcher] [#3]
Originally Posted By Jerrymanderer:
DNR and Dept of Conservation are pretty much one and the same in my area.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#4]
FWIW, a Springfield Police Officer told me that a
long gun in a vehicle, loaded, and the vehicle operator
does not have a CCW, is a criminal act.

He could not recite the code/law that made it illegal,
but that is exactly what I was told.

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By myitinaw:

View Quote

I'm sure a lot of cops would also tell you that carrying a switchblade is illegal. It's ironic, but I'm not sure cops are the best source of reliable information about "the law."
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]

View Quote

A Springfield police officer pulled me over and asked me why I didn’t have a plate on the back of my dads 1 ton Dodge.
When I told him because it was a one ton he started bitching that we are a two plate state.
At that point I gave him his look and asked for a supervisor.
Supervisor rolls up, comes up and asks what the problem, the first cop just stares at me, so I’m like well fucking tell him.
Dudes likes he says he doesn’t have to a rear plate. The supervisor walks to the front of my truck sees the 18k plate and comes back and says yeah he’s right, was there anything else? The first cops face is red as fuck. Doesn’t say a word just turns around and walks back to his car.
The supervisor just looks at me and says I guess you are free to go.

And then there was the Springfield Cop who asked if he could search my car when I was leaving downtown one night when I was a bouncer.I told him sure, I have a pistol in the trunk. Hell I think the only reason he even wanted to search me was he was pissed I was stone cold sober pulling out of the bar parking lot at 1:45.
Starts asking me if it’s registered to me and I was like what are you talking about? Then cuffed me until a second cop showed up and told him we didn’t have any registry laws and if it wasn’t coming up stolen I hadn’t done anything wrong. Dude uncuffed me and smarted off I was getting off lucky this time then sent me on my way.

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Hanz:
And there it is!  

I love MIssouri.
View Quote

Sshhhhhh  
Link Posted: 7/22/2022 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

I would assume that is because Springfield probably bans the open carrying of firearms.

Long guns aren't covered under car carry because they are not "concealable" under Missouri law.

Open carry is Illegal in these cities that choose to ban it unless the operator has a CCW permit.

That's right! OPEN Carry is only allowed in these place if you have a CONCEALED carry permit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to bump an old thread, but do out of state concealed weapons permits count for the purpose of having a long gun in a vehicle? I haven't bothered to get a MO permit, but continue to renew my AZ permit. I impulse bought a trunk lid shotgun rack from a police car.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#10]
Duplicate post.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:05:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#11]
In so far as I can find out, Missouri accepts all out of state CCW permits for all purposes, including open carry.

Missouri is a Constitutional carry state, meaning anyone can carry concealed with no permits, resident or not.

There are no laws in Missouri prohibiting anyone, resident or not from having a loaded rifle in the car, or pistol.
Go back and read post #48, the response from the Mo HWP.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Missouri firearms statutes would be a great area for someone to program an AI chat bot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 4:14:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: drobs] [#13]
Originally Posted By 67Firebird:
I got a reply from the state police.

Here's the question I sent;

"   The question comes up regularly in gun forums, whether it's legal in Missouri to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle in a vehicle. I can't find any info that isn't geared towards concealable firearms, so I'm hoping to get a reply that I can re-post on some public forums."

Their reply;

"There is no law regulating the transport of loaded long guns in a vehicle in Missouri as long as the person can legally possess the guns.  We do encourage the appropriate firearms safety measures are taken.

Missouri State Highway Patrol

Assistant Director

Public Information and Education Division"
View Quote

Are you familiar with Microsoft Paint?
Can you take you take out your personal details - Last name and email address and post a copy that letter here as an image?
Do leave in the contact name and details of the person that responded.

Edit I just noticed this is an old thread. If you still have that email it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 7:45:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you Sir!
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 9:38:24 PM EDT
[#17]
And then there was the Springfield Cop who asked if he could search my car when I was leaving downtown one night when I was a bouncer.I told him sure
View Quote

Don't ever give consent.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top