Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 9:24:37 AM EDT
Anyone of you work as a pest control or vermin removal guy in the sedalia area? Please im me so I can get you over here. My dog was going crazy all night and that thing was flying everywhere
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Never thought if this before, What Round for Batts???

We had one in our house once, I'm thinking it came in via the chimney...

I caught it with a fishing net and tennis racket, took it outside and released it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a teacher get bit by one. He said the shots were not pleasant. Be careful.

At my dads house in swmo he gets scorpions every once in a while.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 2:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The house I grew up in was a 100 year old farm house. We'd get them in occasionally and I'd catch them with a fishing net then give it the American history X curb stomp.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The house I grew up in was a 100 year old farm house. We'd get them in occasionally and I'd catch them with a fishing net then give it the American history X curb stomp.
View Quote

That is the correct bat hunting method.

You need to check your roof for where they are getting in, or close your chimney.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a great documentary called The Great Outdoors that deals with this

ETA: We got a cabin in Arkansas last summer. The first night a bat was flying around. I opened the front door and it found its way our pretty quick.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:55:01 AM EDT
[#8]
use a clothes basket that should catch the little burger ..
Bats & snakes we deal with them in our homes ,, from
time to time ,,

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:38:59 AM EDT
[#9]
We had a couple bats in our old house one time. The "bat guy" we called out found a huge infestation of bats in our attic. He said that when the weather gets really hot all of a sudden, the bats will move closer to cooler temperatures . . . as in the air conditioned interior of the house.

We lived in a 100+ year old house, in a neighborhood of 100+ year old houses. The bat guy said that just about every old building in the neighborhood probably had them. The owners just didn't know it. Once we knew what to look for we saw them everywhere. You'd see them come out and fly around the neighborhood each evening at dusk.

If you find yourself in a situation like this, the only thing you can do is seal up every tiny access to the attic/walls. They can slip in a crack as narrow as a quarter inch. Once the house is sealed up, you install a one way bat trap that they can go OUT of, but not back in.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 3:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm in pest control, but not close to your area. Best thing to do has already been recommended. Seal up every gap you can think of. They only need a hole about the size of your thumb to get through. Go around the exterior of your house and check the ground to look for droppings. If you find any, look up and chances are you've found your spot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are catching it, first dress yourself up.  Long pants, heavy shirt or jacket, something around your neck, and a face shield are a minimum.

Just last year we lost a pretty well known guy in the machine gun world.  He had spearheaded the manufacture and sale of tungsten bolts for the M11 and 11/9 submachineguns as well as other projects.  He had just retired and moved from Nevada to his dream home in Idaho.  He had a bat get tangled in his clothes and didn't even think he was scratched.  Two months later he was dead.

https://www.health.com/mind-body/idaho-rabies-death
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Thak u everyone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top