Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2022 8:31:46 PM EDT
Looking for some general info for my son.  He has been going through a pretty intensive job interview process with what might be a job of life time for a 20 year old.  He is down to the last two things, a welding test, and a 4 hour exam.  He takes these on the 9th, if he passes he gets an offer.

Any way, never spent much time in KC, just driving through and a train stop over, hit the WW1 Museum, this is a must see for anyone that has time.

Just looking for some thigs to look out for like property taxes like St Louis, earning tax, other bs taxes?

He will be down around 150 and 49, how is this area?  

Apartments seam pretty cheep, makes me wonder.  Best place to look for housing?  Any reason to live in KS and work in MO?

We are going to spend the weekend before the 9th to look around any suggestions to help him out?

He is also rebuilding one of the cut up Bren MG's to semi, will need to find a machinist or tool and die guy for some parts.

thanks  

Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
If you live, or work, in the KCMO city limits there is a 1% earnings tax.

I personally would not live in Jackson County, MO. Although there are plenty of nice areas in the county, just shitty politics.

If you live/work across the state line they have agreements concerning income tax so it goes pretty smoothly.

Living in Johnson County, KS or Clay/Platte/Cass county missouri would be your best bet.

If I knew I was working south of the river, Raymore or Harrisonville would be on my list for apartment living.

If you have any specific questions about specific properties, you can PM me and I can give you a real good idea about the area.

Dave

Eta: To be more specific, I would never live near 150HWY / 49 HWY. but thats just me. Too many better options in close proximity.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m pretty sure I know where he’s looking to work at.   I’m in Raymore.  Tell him to look in south end of the city. South of 58 Hwy.   Even Peculiar.   A lot of new housing going up in this area.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Solid advice from both the guys above. From us guys north of the river everything south of it is suspect but I did live in Raymore  and it was nice I just got tired of the drive to work so moved north. I’m not sure where his job will be but Peculiar  and Harrisonville aren’t bad I don’t think
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 9:42:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Cass or Platte.  Do it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m pretty sure I know where he’s looking to work at.   I’m in Raymore.  Tell him to look in south end of the city. South of 58 Hwy.   Even Peculiar.   A lot of new housing going up in this area.
View Quote

Agree, south of 58.  I would stay on the Missouri side but for a 20 year old the Kansas side could have certain benefits.

I too would not live in KCMO, the politics are unbelievable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks all!

Platte county seams like it is north of the city, he would have to drive through, unless I am mapping it wrong.

south of 58 looks good, any good shooting ranges or clubs to join down this way?

Looks like he will have 3rd shift so traffic on 49 should not be a problem.

appreciate the input,
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 4:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thanks all!

Platte county seams like it is north of the city, he would have to drive through, unless I am mapping it wrong.

south of 58 looks good, any good shooting ranges or clubs to join down this way?

Looks like he will have 3rd shift so traffic on 49 should not be a problem.

appreciate the input,
View Quote

There are a couple of clubs in the area. If he wants to shoot long range, you can message me and I can send you info about the one i belong to.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m not from up here. But Lee’s summit gets my vote.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Nothing wrong with Lee's Summit either.  Definitely an easy commute to work.  Ideally the goal would be to not be in Jackson county.

Before the Jackson county prosecutor quit punishing criminals in KC, I would have suggested the Plaza/Westport area as a possibility.  There are some places around there that would be like living at a resort.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote to reinforce what's been said:

Jackson County sucks.

Lee's Summit is nice, but Jackson County sucks.

Raymore is generally a nice community, but pricing was getting iffy years before COVID hit. There are only 2-3 streets you'd want to avoid.

Belton is less consistent. There are nice areas and crap areas.

Peculiar is a growing small town, but it has most of your standard small town traits.

Harrisonville would be a very manageable commute. Traffic won't be much of a deterrent, but gas prices might.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Another vote to reinforce what's been said:

Jackson County sucks.

Lee's Summit is nice, but Jackson County sucks.

Raymore is generally a nice community, but pricing was getting iffy years before COVID hit. There are only 2-3 streets you'd want to avoid.

Belton is less consistent. There are nice areas and crap areas.

Peculiar is a growing small town, but it has most of your standard small town traits.

Harrisonville would be a very manageable commute. Traffic won't be much of a deterrent, but gas prices might.
View Quote

Harrisonville does seem to be a pretty decent place. Rent might be cheaper down there too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are a thousand places in the KC region worse than I49 - H 150 to live there.  I would find a place that did not involve a commute on I49, south of 150.

My daughter and her husband are remodeling a house not far from there.  They'll be moving out of KC and renting the downstairs apartment where they live now.  Your son doesn't want to live there, it's a dangerous area.

View Quote

The lane reduction at 155th street is bad for 1-2 hours a day, M-F. It's perfectly fine the rest of the week, and it's hardly a reason to change/decide where you live.

There's nothing wrong with I-49 south of 163rd.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would find a place that did not involve a commute on I49, south of 150.
View Quote

I live in Raymore and make this commute every work day.  I don't have any issues other than the occasional accident that everyone has to stop and look at.

If this area freaks you out I would advise you to stay away from the Grandview Triangle during rush hour.  Your head will explode.

On a side note, they are going to 3 lane 49 down to north Cass.  Personally I think it needs to be done down to 7 to take care of the lake traffic.  Not to mention the future growth of peculiar and harrisonville.  But common sense doesn't come into play with government planning.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:19:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Stay away from the Grandview area for sure.  I-49 is also know as the felony freeway.

Pleasant Hill might be an option.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 5:33:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Thank you all for the help, we made it out and were able to see around town for a day.  

South of 58 there really is not a lot of options for apartments.  We did find a fairly new one just built, Foxridge in Raymore.  

Checked out Peculiar and Harrisonville, nice towns, just no apartments.

Looked west into Kansas, there was some apartments, they just were more $.

Anyway, he did get the job and has to do some paperwork and set a start date now.

again thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:12:14 AM EDT
[#18]
A friend of mine lived in those apartments behind CVS in raymore and they seemed nice to me.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 9:47:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I was at the Martin City brewery last night.  Martin City is kind of a hidden gem these days.  Place was hoppin' especially for a tuesday night.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I had to make a hardware store run on Friday afternoon, just in time for rush hour on I-49.

I took 15th Street South from Main in Grandview and then the service road until I had to enter I-49 south at 150.  The traffic to Belton was tolerable, but not great.

I made the next run to the ACE hardware at highway 50 and SW Ward in Lee's Summit.  That store is a mile or so closer.

I made a minor reconn of the east side of Belton, Raymore, and Pleasant Hill on my way back home Sunday.  For some reason my wife continues to look at real estate in Cass County and Harrisonville; we won't be moving that close to KC.

View Quote

Cass County isn't a small area, and most of it is a pretty safe distance from the peril of KCMO and Jackson County. What are your concerns?
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 3:25:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I live in the most southwest rural corner area of Johnson County which borders both Cass and Henry. I like where I live due to the fact that we don't need to have permits to build, dig, remodel, plumbing, paint or having to wait for an inspector if we want/need to do anything. I'm sure if I lived in a town, there might be some needed permits to do some things as it's the town laws, but where I'm at, I'm a free man if I need to do anything I want.

My sister lives in rural Cass Co just outside Harrisonville by about 3-4 miles and virtually everything one does in Cass need a permit from what I've seen, to do things that require a change to their property. Paint your house a different color, permit. Need repairs on house and wood needs torn out and replaced, permit. New water heater, permit and an inspection. Now, a lot could do with you doing it yourself, or having it done by a pro and it could also depend on how far out in country one lives, or if property is sold in future and inspections done by next purchaser of property for the property to be sold without problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top