Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2022 7:04:51 PM EDT
It looks like Mediacom might be the best internet solution for my new house.

I have used "free" google fiber for quite a few years now, which is only 5 mb/s. Seems to be fine for speed.

However, I have never paid attention to usage amount, since there is no cap.

It looks like $39 a month is 200 mb/s with a cap at 1000gigs.

I work from home and stream TV. No video games.

Doing some looking around, it seems like 1000gigs a month should work without going over.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I am guessing it is better to buy a modem instead of renting one for $13 a month?

Thanks for any insight.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:15:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
It looks like Mediacom might be the best internet solution for my new house.

I have used "free" google fiber for quite a few years now, which is only 5 mb/s. Seems to be fine for speed.

However, I have never paid attention to usage amount, since there is no cap.

It looks like $39 a month is 200 mb/s with a cap at 1000gigs.

I work from home and stream TV. No video games.

Doing some looking around, it seems like 1000gigs a month should work without going over.

Anyone have any experience with this?

I am guessing it is better to buy a modem instead of renting one for $13 a month?

Thanks for any insight.
View Quote

If you actually get any where near 200 mbps, for just under 40 a month i'm impressed...  

Sounds like and introductory offer (even if they aren't telling you).  So be ready for rate hikes at the 1 year mark...

Obviously everyone prefers unlimited, but ya gotta roll with whats offered...

1000 gigs a month is a pretty good allowance, though there will likey be many folks telling you how many terabytes a month they use.

Ex: Our house is all streaming, no cable or sat.
When I worked for Charter and worked from home24/7, we had 5 people, 3 gaming systems, 6 TVs w Rokus, pcs, laptops, phones, tablets, etc...  

We used about 500-600 gigs a month, some a bit more...

Working in the industry, I dont know how they can offer and sustain that level of service for long at that price...

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used Mediacom forever and have their $29.99 100Mbps plan with a 200GB monthly cap. Every 50GB over this incurs a $10 charge and I'm good with that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 500MB/s download with a 1Tb/mo, haven't had any issues.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Viaset, Cox and United Fiber are what we are looking into. I don't know any of the speeds or anything. I haven't had time to look. I'll add Mediacom to the list however.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Viaset, Cox and United Fibre are what we are looking into. I don't know any of the speeds or anything. I haven't had time to look. I'll add Mediacom to the list however.
View Quote

Where are you at in Mo that has Cox? Out by KC I'm guessing.

Also regarding Viasat, we get 5 or so calls a week from unhappy satellite internet customers....

One if our customers is stuck in a 3 year contract with Hughes, I think it is...  It sits in his closet, he pays the like a 100 or so a month, doesn't even use it, then pays us like 80 a month.  He loves us...
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Viaset, Cox and United Fiber are what we are looking into. I don't know any of the speeds or anything. I haven't had time to look. I'll add Mediacom to the list however.
View Quote

I just learned about United Fiber and am leaning that direction now....... maybe
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Where are you at in Mo that has Cox? Out by KC I'm guessing.

Also regarding Viasat, we get 5 or so calls a week from unhappy satellite internet customers....

One if our customers is stuck in a 3 year contract with Hughes, I think it is...  It sits in his closet, he pays the like a 100 or so a month, doesn't even use it, then pays us like 80 a month.  He loves us...
View Quote

Thanks for the info on Viasat.

Moving to Lawson, about 30 minutes NE of KC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:52:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I just learned about United Fiber and am leaning that direction now....... maybe
View Quote

The only set back I see with them is if they haven't laid the fiber to our neighborhood yet.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks for the info on Viasat.

Moving to Lawson, about 30 minutes NE of KC.
View Quote

Welcome to the neighborhood, sort of, live in Richmond.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The only set back I see with them is if they haven't laid the fiber to our neighborhood yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They said the fiber is already in the neighborhood, so I filled out their paperwork to get the service started. It will take a while (like 2 weeks), because the fiber has to be ran to the house.

Might need to figure out a cellular hotspot for work until they get it all setup.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They said the fiber is already in the neighborhood, so I filled out their paperwork to get the service started. It will take a while (like 2 weeks), because the fiber has to be ran to the house.

Might need to figure out a cellular hotspot for work until they get it all setup.
View Quote

How long was your contract if I can ask?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

12 month contract, free install.

I think i picked 49.99, which is like 200mb/s with no data usage limit. Its their lowest option.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think i picked 49.99, which is like 200mb/s with no data usage limit. Its their lowest option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top