Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2022 11:29:44 PM EDT
Well, after only 14 months of waiting, I got my confirmation email this evening....I hope it lives up to the hype.... maybe I can ditch my land line now.... anyone use internet for home phone??
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Well, after only 14 months of waiting, I got my confirmation email this evening....I hope it lives up to the hype.... maybe I can ditch my land line now.... anyone use internet for home phone??
View Quote
I'm down here in southern Mo (Fredericktown), I run a small Wireless ISP here.

We have a lot of customers who use their IPhone or other smart phones over our WiFi as their cell phones get little to no signal.  
Also, we have a ton of customers that use Skype, Zoom and other video conf software from home.  Most of those softwares are not very forgiving.

Your biggest issue (IF Any) is going to be latency and jitter.  I'm thinking till it gets saturated, it should be fairly good and usable.  We have already lost 3-4 customers.

On a side note, Starlink is already raising the cost of the HW like 50.00 for new signups and raising the monthly like 5 or 10 a month.  Not huge, but noticeable..  
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:05:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, they did raise the prices. but for the same money here (when fiber becomes available) 25mps will be $100/month... I pay 65 for 10mps now....

Being that we have a laser engraving business, our programing software is cloud based.... sometimes it takes forever to load a design into the system...

We are out by current river.. not too many options way out in the boonies...
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#3]
What is the cost if I may ask? The website is very vague. I was actually about to start a Starlink thread since the old one is gone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I put 99 down last year, they have raised the prices on equipment, and monthly cost.  I just paid 534 to procure my equipment, and I believe the montly will be 110.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the cost if I may ask? The website is very vague. I was actually about to start a Starlink thread since the old one is gone.
View Quote

Yea, I've seen a lot of complaints about the site, trouble getting a hold of tech support and customer service...

Last I heard, the hw was now 550.00 for the entry level setup and service is now like 105-110.00 a month I think..

I also heard there was now a "Premium" package, thats supposed to offer the gig speeds they originally offered.

Also, I see a lot of folks bitching about the proprietary router it comes with,  but ive seen work around to use your own.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 7:09:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I pre ordered around the same time, hopefully mine will ship soon too.

My only current option is Hugh's net, which I'm thankful for, but it's garbage.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your's should be coming soon. Compared to what you have, your gonna love it.
You can do so much more streaming, Allen can do more gaming. You should also be able to do WiFi calling so ya'll will get Phone Service out there, when in range of your router.

Two issues you may or may not run into are:
1. Running the cable from where ever your router/POE is going, though the walls, out side to where ever the dish is going to go in the yard.
Try and get it (the router) as central as possible for best coverage of your whole house. Where your router is now may already be fine.
2. Placement of the dish out in the yard to get a clean open view of the Sky at all times/Angles...   I know you have a fairly dense tree canopy back there, May have to trim a few once it greens up. Also might want to mount it on a Tpost/Fence Post set in Concrete to get it up higher.  Hopefully, you can bury the cable from the house to the dish, I know how ROCKY your area around there and here is...

Now your gonna need a PC, Laptop or a Big screened tablet, so you get offa the tiny phone screens an ARFcom much better!!! :)
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was actually about to start a Starlink thread since the old one is gone.

52 Pages of Starlink goodness

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 6:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can do so much more streaming, Allen can do more gaming. You should also be able to do WiFi calling so ya'll will get Phone Service out there, when in range of your router.

1. Running the cable from where ever your router/POE is going, though the walls, out side to where ever the dish is going to go in the yard.
Try and get it (the router) as central as possible for best coverage of your whole house. Where your router is now may already be fine.
2. Placement of the dish out in the yard to get a clean open view of the Sky at all times/Angles...   I know you have a fairly dense tree canopy back there, May have to trim a few once it greens up. Also might want to mount it on a Tpost/Fence Post set in Concrete to get it up higher.  Hopefully, you can bury the cable from the house to the dish, I know how ROCKY your area around there and here is...

Now your gonna need a PC, Laptop or a Big screened tablet, so you get offa the tiny phone screens an ARFcom much better!!! :)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm hoping to mount it up on the roof, should have a good clear view then. I've cut even more trees recently so I have that going for us too.

Hoping it works as well as they say, it's silly being 2022 and I can't make a phone call at home.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Have you tried the Starlink app on your phone? You can go up a ladder to the potential spot, click Check For Obstructions, and then scan the sky to see what interferes. It'll show in red where there are problems, and give you a percentage of obstruction.
View Quote

I'll sure check that out, thanks!
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Well boys, we finally got it, after fedex ground in rolla screwed the pooch... (i swear those guys have more turnover than a mcdonalds).  I've seen our speeds bounce between 45-180 mbps.... I think I remember in the main starlink thread that it will take a week or so for it to "learn" the best connectivity positions.  All in all even biden could put this thing together and get it going. The hardest part was getting it above my roof line for clear line of sight to the heavens.  

the starlink map, does not reflect our AO correctly, so take heart, maybe yours will be on the way soon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:17:20 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Nice homestead, and damn impressive speed/latency for a satellite.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 1:58:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top