Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2021 6:13:38 PM EDT
Saturday I go to a gun shop about 30 minutes from me (I kind of live in the country).  I first went to look at a suppressor that is currently in jail there, and to also look for a bolt action 223.  They tell me that only the owner has the combination to the safe to let the suppressors out to look at, OK cool.  I have bought suppressors and guns from this shop and I like the people.  I get there and all they have is a couple of used 223 rifles (no big deal).  I was specifically looking for a 223 that has a threaded muzzle so I could mount a suppressor to it.  

So as I am looking at the other stuff they have I overhear one of the workers say to another customer 'look at our online store because we have a lot more there and if it comes here we don't charge shipping.'  So I pull up my phone and look at the webpage the worker gave and found a Ruger American in stock.  So I ask the worker(s) 'did I hear you right that I can get it from your online store and it will be here in a few days?'  Worker(s) say 'yep'.  

So I say cool, I want this rifle and I want to pay cash so I don't have to try to intercept the CC bill before my wife sees it.  They say we can do that.  Worker(s) order rifle and I pay them CASH for it right there, and get a receipt.

So today (Tuesday, they are closed on Sunday and Monday) I call to see if they have an idea of when it will be in (60 minute round trip and all) so I can plan on when to get it.  They essentially tell me sorry they are sold out and you can try for one on backorder.  I ask why is that?  They tell me because I paid CASH someone else in the meantime bought it with a CC.  I ask to be sure I am understanding and they said the CC purchase got it because I (the owner) don't have it set up so they can order a gun.  OOOOOKKKKKAAAAYYYYYY

The worker(s) (I keep typing worker(s) becuase there was one that primaryily handled my order and another one who was walking him through it) never told me that a CC order could snatch the gun out from under me that I paid CASH for.  

The owner said we can put you on back order or refund your money.  I said put me on back order and we will go from there.  Now fast forward a couple of hours and the more I think about it, the more aggravated I get about it.  

Now to the question.  I feel like the person that got it with a CC after I paid CASH for it should have their order kicked and it should go to me.  Is that unreasonable of me?

TL:DR  I paid cash for a gun at a gun shop and someone who used a CC AFTER me got the gun and I got the "we can backorder it for you" line.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#1]
It's their fault for not pulling the ad off the internet, but if I bought it online and then was told they'd sold it locally I'd be just as pissed as you are now. The only *right* answer is that they failed to do their jobs, and should be doing something extra to make it up to you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:19:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd say you're not being unreasonable.

Some gun shop's websites are linked to (or inventory populated by) a distributor they deal with. They don't have the gun on hand (they don't even have dibs on it) but it shows on their website because the distributor has one available.  Unfortunately for you and your dealer it can be bought by many other dealers and or customers (if it's a direct sale like Davidson's Gun Genie / Gallery of Guns.

My guess as to what happened is the distributor only had a couple and they sold out (to other gun shops and their customers) before your gun shop was able to contact their rep at the distributor and place the order.
I know this sounds goofy but that's how some shops and distributors operate.  I'm not defending the practice I'm just explaining.

If you're not comfortable waiting I'd speak now and get your cash back.  Don't let it drag on.

Most gun shops and distributors have no control and little insight as to when they will receive more items from the manufacturer.   As I used to say to my customers "I can only tell you the lies that are told to me".  

I won't say the gun shop dropped the ball. I will say both you and the shop got the short end of the stick at the distributor.

Link Posted: 8/24/2021 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd say you're not being unreasonable.

Some gun shop's websites are linked to (or inventory populated by) a distributor they deal with. They don't have the gun on hand (they don't even have dibs on it) but it shows on their website because the distributor has one available.  Unfortunately for you and your dealer it can be bought by many other dealers and or customers (if it's a direct sale like Davidson's Gun Genie / Gallery of Guns.

My guess as to what happened is the distributor only had a couple and they sold out (to other gun shops and their customers) before your gun shop was able to contact their rep at the distributor and place the order.
I know this sounds goofy but that's how some shops and distributors operate.  I'm not defending the practice I'm just explaining.

If you're not comfortable waiting I'd speak now and get your cash back.  Don't let it drag on.

Most gun shops and distributors have no control and little insight as to when they will receive more items from the manufacturer.   As I used to say to my customers "I can only tell you the lies that are told to me".  

I won't say the gun shop dropped the ball. I will say both you and the shop got the short end of the stick at the distributor.

View Quote

I get what you are saying, but if the worker(s) said that gun will be up for grabs for three days until the owner gets here to order it I would have used my CC.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I get what you are saying, but if the worker(s) said that gun will be up for grabs for three days until the owner gets here to order it I would have used my CC.
View Quote

If it was my business and I had your cash in hand, I'd use MY credit card to order the damn thing right then. Assuming this is a well-known process(as stated a few posts above).

So you're not really being unreasonable, but you are SOL.

Live and learn.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So I say cool, I want this rifle and I want to pay cash so I don't have to try to intercept the CC bill before my wife sees it.  They say we can do that.  Worker(s) order rifle and I pay them CASH for it right there, and get a receipt.

So today (Tuesday, they are closed on Sunday and Monday) I call to see if they have an idea of when it will be in (60 minute round trip and all) so I can plan on when to get it.  They essentially tell me sorry they are sold out and you can try for one on backorder.  I ask why is that?  They tell me because I paid CASH someone else in the meantime bought it with a CC.  I ask to be sure I am understanding and they said the CC purchase got it because I (the owner) don't have it set up so they can order a gun . . .
View Quote

Yes. The shop screwed up. Sucks to be you . . . life goes on.

Your real problem is with your wife, however. The set-up for this situation is your need to hide a purchase from you wife.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#6]
More than likely their story is BS.  They sold you something that wasn't actually in stock and came up with the CC story.  Many "online stores" are having products drop shipped as they are ordered.  You placed your order through the store, and they either didn't order it in a timely manner, or it was never actually in stock.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
What gun shop?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top