Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2021 12:29:19 AM EDT
A friend of mine bought a used car from a dealership. You know a Ford,  Chevy,  Dodge type dealer. So I know they are legit.

It is now coming up on 6 weeks and still no title so he can transfer his plates and pay his taxes. He is well aware he will be dinged on the late tax payment.

He has been calling twice a week and the only response from the allegedly title person is they are trying to get the title from Kansas.

What are his options and your recommendations for him
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 6:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
It happens sometimes, the dealer should provide another temp tag and pay any late fees.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It happens sometimes, the dealer should provide another temp tag and pay any late fees.
View Quote

Lees Summit Subaru did that for me when they had trouble getting the title for the car I bought from them a few years ago.  It took some bitching but they finally took care of me.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I had one come in at the last minute, but the dealer reassured me they would get me a new temp (now Perma) tag and reimburse me for late fees. Now, I didn't have to take em up on it, so keep that in mind.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#4]
It'll happen sometimes, especially when a bank or title loan company has the title and they're out of State.

Only certain people within the company has the standing on signing off on a lean to the title, and making sure through other people that the previous owner's account is paid off on that title and company paperwork is correctly filled out and filed. And this is hoping that person isn't on vacation/training or other, for an extended period of time(especially now w/Covid still fresh, since places are now just opening up and getting back to speed with business and nothing else goes wrong). It can be a real headache.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I always figured that they had those things done, before selling a vehicle. They'd get kicked out of the EE.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always figured that they had those things done, before selling a vehicle. They'd get kicked out of the EE.
View Quote

I've been told they are supposed to by law. I've worked at a lot of dealerships and all of them had times when they sold the vehicle before the title came back.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 8:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Just learned this getting my girlfriend's car tagged. Since it was out of state, the DMV required her to bring an IDOD ( identification Odometer i think). Basically its an inspection that shows the DMV the odometer reading. Just a heads up. We had no idea they needed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top