Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2021 10:19:48 PM EDT
I'm done with New Hampshire. I was born and raised here but...

Yeah it's relatively free firearms wise, no sales tax and income tax but it is hellishly expensive to live here and be retired. With the amount of out of staters moving in from retardedly liberal states, it's just a matter of time before NH is just like all the other NE states.

The taxes on my 1600 sq ft house on less than an acre of land was approaching $6000 per year. Eff that!

My wife's family lives in the same town as we're moving to...they moved there from Cali about 18 years ago and love it. We've visited there several times and fell in love with it. It's a beautiful area with good gun laws (or lack thereof), pretty solidly red conservatives (except for Senator Roy Blunt, it seems).

We are closing on a small farm on Wednesday. I will move my wife down in June after she gets out of school (she's a teacher) with 98% of our worldly belongings and then I'll fly back to NH until I retire in September...I'll hook a trailer up to my truck, toss my motorcycle on the trailer with whatever we couldn't fit in the moving truck and high tail it down to the farm to live the rest of my life in MO.

I'll be looking for ways to help out with conservative causes (ie. firearms laws). I ran for NH State representative a couple of years ago and lost by 6 votes. Not sure I want to get into politics again but I will help any way I am able to keep Missouri red and 2A free.

That and I'm looking forward to having open spaces again.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll be about 2.5 hours from you, at Lake of the Ozarks.  Used to make the Springfield-Gainesville drive regularly for an ex-gf's kids.  That area never really appealed to me, but then again, I never lived there.  LOTO / Rolla / Springfield area have been my Missouri homes.

Congrats on the change!
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I found out a few years ago that my old Navy roommate's uncle designed and built the Bagnell Dam that made the Lake of the Ozarks. I was out there visiting a few years ago and took a trip up to the lake and saw the Bagnell name attributed to the dam and knew my  roommate was from that area of MO so I found him and asked about it. I guess it was his dad's brother.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:30:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome.  Safe travels.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome.  Safe travels.
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:21:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome.

I have family down there. I would recommend looking into the Big Piney gun club outside of Houston.

Also, there is a sweet reloading shop in Cabool called the Missouri Gun Company.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:18:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome!  This arfcom family will be about a hour away (which is nothing here).  We are over in the Ellington/Eminence area.  There are a few treasures as to small shops which cater to our habits here.  We are transplants, and it can be a challenge to win over the locals, but it can be done.  It helps to volunteer at the local senior center and get evolved with the local civic organizations.....

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#7]
WELCOME!!...My wife and I escaped Ill-noise about 1 1/2 years ago after I retired. Love it here! We live in NE MO. Lots of conservation areas to hunt, fish and shoot. Still a member of a great range in Illinois that has several small ranges to run and gun on, pistol ranges, .22 caliber ranges and a 600 yard rifle range. Enjoy Missouri for sure.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Welcome.

I have family down there. I would recommend looking into the Big Piney gun club outside of Houston.

Also, there is a sweet reloading shop in Cabool called the Missouri Gun Company.
View Quote

Thanks...I doubt I'll need a gun club...I plan on building a private range on my property. I've been a member of a couple of clubs over the years here in NH...I ultimately realized over the years that I'm not really a "club" person.

I will definitely take a look at the place in Cabool. I have a Diilon 550B and reload most of my own ammo though the past year, it's been difficult to find some components. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on one's perspective), all my reloading stuff is in storage right now. I haven't been able to reload anything since last August and I have curtailed my shooting to almost zero due to current circumstances so when I do get out there and get set up again, I will be reloading up a storm.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Welcome!  This arfcom family will be about a hour away (which is nothing here).  We are over in the Ellington/Eminence area.  There are a few treasures as to small shops which cater to our habits here.  We are transplants, and it can be a challenge to win over the locals, but it can be done.  It helps to volunteer at the local senior center and get evolved with the local civic organizations.....

View Quote

Thanks! Eminence is a beautiful area...I've been there several times on my way to several of the springs that are there. I can't wait to fish the rivers up there. I love fly fishing and really miss it.

All my fishing tackle is in storage right now but when the weather finally starts cooperating here in NH, I will definitely be out prowling around the mountains looking for little feeder streams fishing for little wild brook trout, one of the most beautiful creatures on God's green earth.

I definitely understand the "winning over the locals" thing. I have met the elderly couple we are buying the property from and they grilled me as to why I wanted to move out there. . He is a well known (in the area) dance caller and is well loved by the locals. I guess I satisfied his questioning because he ultimately said I'd fit right in. The closest neighbors have contacted me and have told me anything I need, to let them know. That's what I love about that area, people generally want to be left alone (I know I do) but if help is needed, they are right there. That's what I hate about the northeast...too many people trying to run your life contrary to the way you want to run it and if you tell them mind their own business they misuse and call you every name in their limited vocabulary. Every other person here is a leftist "Karen", not the way it used to be here even 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm looking to end up in the same area. 3 years to go.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm looking to end up in the same area. 3 years to go.
View Quote

I have three months to go and it seems like forever (though we will own the property in three days).
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:28:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Thats a beautiful area and close enough to west plains which has most of what you'll need to buy.

We are very fortunate to have great curvy roads in the Ozarks and MO does a pretty good job keeping them in good shape. 106,160, 34 and 19 are spectacular with many other greats sprinkled in.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thats a beautiful area and close enough to west plains which has most of what you'll need to buy.

We are very fortunate to have great curvy roads in the Ozarks and MO does a pretty good job keeping them in good shape. 106,160, 34 and 19 are spectacular with many other greats sprinkled in.
View Quote

Oh, I'm all about the hilly/curvy roads. I've been out there several times in the past 10 years or so and every time we were out driving around, I was wishing I was on my Triumph...That will come to pass this fall.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#14]
That's great to hear. I wish you well in your move and maybe someday we'll get to meet. I've lived my entire life here and I don't want to move to any other state.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Prices seem to be going up in the area. I looked at a place just North of Eminence on 50 acres and another one East of Summersville on 75 acres. They both sold for less then $250k. Since then, everything seems to be going for more. When Starlink is up and running the prices will only go higher.

Only reason I haven't bought something is I don't want to be 6 hours away in Nashville.

The recent arson story there didn't help.  I had looked at some land with a burned house. Turned out it was just a few miles from the cabin in the story and most likely torched by the same guy.

Highway 60 is supposed to become Interstate 57 at some point. That will open the area up more.  I'm torn. Money is cheap right now.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:53:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh, I'm all about the hilly/curvy roads. I've been out there several times in the past 10 years or so and every time we were out driving around, I was wishing I was on my Triumph...That will come to pass this fall.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of triumph?
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Welcome to MO , OP
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pics of triumph?
View Quote

This is it. I usually have saddle bags on it but I hadn't put them on yet in this picture. This was taken soon after I bought the bike.

It also has floorboards on it now as well as well as heel/toe brakes.

I'll see if I can find a picture of the finished product after work tonight.

Sorry for the size of the picture. Not sure how to reduce size...

" />
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 11:58:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This is it. I usually have saddle bags on it but I hadn't put them on yet in this picture. This was taken soon after I bought the bike.

https://i.imgur.com/2bqb4Eb.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/2bqb4Eb.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of triumph?

https://i.imgur.com/2bqb4Eb.jpg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/2bqb4Eb.jpg

Nice bike, you may drag the floor boards right off of it here.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 7:28:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Nice bike, you may drag the floor boards right off of it here.
View Quote

LOL...Believe me, we have quite a few twisties here too. Haven't done it yet. I had a Goldwing once though  that I was always dragging the boards and mufflers.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#21]
If your not dragging, your not going fast enough
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL...
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 8:11:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Nice.  I live in mid Missouri and I just bought 40 acres near Eminence.  I am moving there in 7 years when I retire-can't get here soon enough!
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LOL...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL...

I'm usually dragging knees
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top